Ninja-K #6 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Ninja-K #6 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Bloodshot: Salvation #8], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr160/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: Ninja-K #6 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

I thought this issue was really fantastic. Lots of Valiant continuity references that tied together effectively & cohesively for the purposes of the story, and not just random shoutouts.

I love that this new Coaliton group has formed up - they're a really cool line-up of various characters already previously exsisting but to some new end. It's going to be a powerful group, I hope they last beyond this story arc.

Will it be the Undying One who has brought them all together, that we hear talking at the very end of the issue?

I also really liked all the call-backs to Armor Hunters, and that there are still lasting effects from the destruction of Mexico City. That it's causing a strain on various world politics. And really cool that they're hoarding & reverse engineering the scraps of alien tech too.

Add to that the great art from Ryp and we have a winner of an issue!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

I LOVED the touches on past continuity in this issue. Bringing together various previous villains like March, Kosiky (?), and Jonin was cool. The Coalition promises to be an interesting villain group. Touching on past history like Gin-Gr's annihilation of Mexico City and the political fallout of it is awesome too. Looking forward to more!
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Well written...Check! :thumb:

Great art...Check! :thumb:

Reference to past events (continuity)...Check! :thumb:

Bad azz villains...Check! :thumb:

Ninjak got his azz beat...Check! :lol:
#StayValiant

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Gage continues to bring Ninjak back to what he should always have been...a ninja/spy fella doing undercover work! Start of the new arc bodes well and as already mentioned, the references back to continuity were relevant and interesting. My only minor gripe is that there was too much explanation of who was who in Ninjak’s ‘thought boxes’ mid fight , eg “here’s Ultimo, he’s this and he’s that etc”. Also, Ninja-k 2 died so soon, maybe let’s no go too many times to the well with the previous Ninja’s, especially if they’re gonna die so soon.

Art from Ryp was good (as usual).

3.75/5 - Good stuff :thumb:

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

I really liked this issue, the entire run this far has been pretty solid imo.

Love the continuity link for long time readers :thumb:

Interested to see where this heads.

Fingers crossed the Coalition is a long standing group (unlike the 'flash in a pan' United from Unity)

5/5 :D

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I agree with you guys, it's really sweet to see so many characters from various arcs converging in this new villain group. Even Linton March! :clap:

tell
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by tell »

I love this book, it's perfect. I don't much care why they chose all these various characters, I hope there is a cool in-story reason but even if not I'll still love it. I hope the Mexicans clone the dragon-guy Lilt, or that Quartz shows up, I'd like to see more of the Armor Hunters.

grendeljd, I enjoy the VCR podcast, but I wish you guys would hold off on future spoilers. I don't read solicits because I'd rather be surprised, it's kind of a bummer to be told who the Big-Bad in charge is before the comics are out.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

tell wrote:I love this book, it's perfect. I don't much care why they chose all these various characters, I hope there is a cool in-story reason but even if not I'll still love it. I hope the Mexicans clone the dragon-guy Lilt, or that Quartz shows up, I'd like to see more of the Armor Hunters.

grendeljd, I enjoy the VCR podcast, but I wish you guys would hold off on future spoilers. I don't read solicits because I'd rather be surprised, it's kind of a bummer to be told who the Big-Bad in charge is before the comics are out.
Sorry man! I hear you - I generally don't read full solicits either for much the same reason!

I hope it came across in the episode that that was why I didn't know what the other fella's were talking about when Chris mentioned that. I thought he was just dishing out a patented Crazy Theory Time on that idea at the time.

But on that subject... if it is The Dying One behind it all, the randomness of all the characters in The Coalition is a little less random, in my mind. I think they nearly all have a bit of a supernatural connection to being immortal, or at least very long-lived [with the possible exception of Ninja-K2]. It could be very likely that The Dying One is looking to further his goal of defeating his curse of mortality/immortality by using these others as pawns or to learn from them.