Ninja-K #8 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Ninja-K #8 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Shadowman [2018] #4], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr168/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Re: Ninja-K #8 Discussion

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Solid issue, a lot happened here. Gage does a great job in using past continuity in this arc, it’s clear he is committed to the book and does his homework for sure. Great cliffhanger ending with the return of Gilad possessed by the undying one! Enjoyed Ryp’s art on the book too.

I’m not a big fan of Deadside related stories, maybe I’m just not into magic :? This collaboration of characters seemed a little odd and forced by I think Gage is making it work. I really don’t like the design of Punk Mambos LOA and I think it detracts from the action by looking too goofy and like something from Sesame Street but that’s not the fault of Gage/Ryp.

3.75/5 - appreciate Gage’s effort here, would prefer more solo Ninjak storylines as it seems a bit quick into the run to bring a team scenario into the mix .

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

I really liked this issue and it reminded me of what I had hoped Unity would be. Didn't really read like a Ninjak solo book but really, that's a mini complaint - I had a lot of fun reading this (and the series to date really).

Great work by building on the continuity here :thumb:

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I really enjoyed this issue, love the ideas surrounding Gilad's body, how he is currently choosing to stay in the deadside [or wherever his little haven is] & thought that was a great plot point to build some character motivations for The Dying One around.

I can't remember off the top of my head if the continuity here is spot on or not - anyone else recall what the last published story with Gilad alive was, and where he is supposed to be? I like the story here, that the Dying One has his body and seems to have figured out how to use it & all, just wondering.

The only thing I felt was a tiny bit off was some of the other villains dialogue. I really think Gage has done such a great job so far of fleshing out these characters and building a great storyline up, but I found it a bit campy in spots, i.e. when Kostiy The Deathless was kind of rambling on about how they need to be leaders just because thy are immortal. Minor criticism though.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

grendeljd wrote:I really enjoyed this issue, love the ideas surrounding Gilad's body, how he is currently choosing to stay in the deadside [or wherever his little haven is] & thought that was a great plot point to build some character motivations for The Dying One around.

I can't remember off the top of my head if the continuity here is spot on or not - anyone else recall what the last published story with Gilad alive was, and where he is supposed to be? I like the story here, that the Dying One has his body and seems to have figured out how to use it & all, just wondering.

The only thing I felt was a tiny bit off was some of the other villains dialogue. I really think Gage has done such a great job so far of fleshing out these characters and building a great storyline up, but I found it a bit campy in spots, i.e. when Kostiy The Deathless was kind of rambling on about how they need to be leaders just because thy are immortal. Minor criticism though.
+1 on some of the dialogue being a bit off, but similar to you I’m enjoying what Gage is bringing to the table here so it didn’t detract too much.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Continuity heavy, loved it. You can really tell that Gage did his homework on the Valiant Universe in preparation for his current run. Great interaction between a diverse mix of characters on both sides of the fight... :thumb:

Plus, Gilad! I’m enjoying this arc a little more than the first... :thumb:
#StayValiant

markie7235
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by markie7235 »

Yeah, trying to think of the last comic Gilad showed up in myself...I mean, I'm assuming Wrath of EW came after Divinity (I don't remember years of when various books came out). Was Wrath of EW really the last thing he appeared in? Still, I liked how this issue pulled in several otherwise unused characters from prior stories to build continuity and also like how the next story line in X-O will include characters introduced in Eternity.

One thing I am confused on for continuity sake....Is this story line suppose to take place prior the events of Harbinger Wars 2? I know X-O kind of lead into HW2, but some of the other books out there are unclear on when in the timeline they fall. For example, I'm also assuming HW2 takes place after the current Bloodshot Salvation story line going on, otherwise how the hell did Bloodshot end up in the future and in the present?

I guess that's my only gripe is some of the continuity is a little off right now on some of these stories, so hopefully as the new people in charge of VEI grow in their positions, they clean some of this up going forward. Still great stories though

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

A little late to this party, but I thoroughly enjoyed the issue. Lots of great characters in an engaging story.