Bloodshot: Salvation #12 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Bloodshot: Salvation #12 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue, please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr174/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Re: Bloodshot: Salvation #12 Discussion

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

grendeljd wrote:If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue, please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr174/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grendel you need to get back on the show and give it some balance :P Everyone’s got downers on the books and whilst some of it’s justified some of it’s seems unnecessary. I know everyone’s just bouncing around opinions but maybe an opposing voice might bring a new perspective. 90% of the time I’m usually in agreement with Chris but not so much lately. :kidaround:

I thought it was a decent wrap up, could well have been the series was intended to run longer and it finished sooner but it was fine. Glad they didn’t kill the scarred man, he’s too good a character . My reading of the ending was that they didn’t kill him in order to protect Magic as Omen/the Government would have relentlessly pursued them if they had.

Not sure I’m keen on Punk mambo being able to use voodoo to subdue Rampage, kind of negates him as a future threat if it’s that easy.

I do agree that Jessie feels to much like a rip off of Logan and in my view Valiant needs to work harder to avoid making their stories/characters too much like Marvel/DC.

4/5 - decent read

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

I only read the last 4 or so but my overall impression would be it feels flat.

Start with positives - I appreciate trying to do something different with the superhero genre and I liked the art for the most part.

However, if you try to do something 'different' and it doesn't really work then readers are left with something that's not very satisfying on any level. Entire issues devoted to Rampage and the dog, but where's the payoff? Where's the payoff on anything? 12 issues is plenty of time to tell a good story. It's hard for me to even categorize this book or even who it's trying to appeal to. It's not how I envision a Bloodshot story. It's fine to try to do a different type of Bloodshot, but I didn't get what this was trying to be. Maybe it's just not for me.

I don't want to be too negative, just trying to give the perspective of an old school Valiant fan.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue, please follow the link;

Grendel you need to get back on the show and give it some balance :P Everyone’s got downers on the books and whilst some of it’s justified some of it’s seems unnecessary. I know everyone’s just bouncing around opinions but maybe an opposing voice might bring a new perspective. 90% of the time I’m usually in agreement with Chris but not so much lately. :kidaround:

I thought it was a decent wrap up, could well have been the series was intended to run longer and it finished sooner but it was fine. Glad they didn’t kill the scarred man, he’s too good a character . My reading of the ending was that they didn’t kill him in order to protect Magic as Omen/the Government would have relentlessly pursued them if they had.

Not sure I’m keen on Punk mambo being able to use voodoo to subdue Rampage, kind of negates him as a future threat if it’s that easy.

I do agree that Jessie feels to much like a rip off of Logan and in my view Valiant needs to work harder to avoid making their stories/characters too much like Marvel/DC.

4/5 - decent read
:?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

hawkeyeps wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

4/5 - decent read
I know you just want the best books Chris and I’m on board with the tight continuity and logical explanations to tie the books together....buuuuut BS and HW2 aren’t as bad as the crew are making out. Hope you don’t take my comments as personal criticism, as I’ve said a few times in the past, I find myself agreeing with your perspective on the books more than any of the OTV crew.
:thumb:

Ps get on Twitter it’s 2018, even Chiclo’s on it! :lol:

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

4/5 - decent read
I know you just want the best books Chris and I’m on board with the tight continuity and logical explanations to tie the books together....buuuuut BS and HW2 aren’t as bad as the crew are making out. Hope you don’t take my comments as personal criticism, as I’ve said a few times in the past, I find myself agreeing with your perspective on the books more than any of the OTV crew.

It's all good Dallow :high-five:

What are your thoughts on how the events in Salvation and HW2 reconcile? I think this is my biggest problem with it.

I've heard a lot of people saying it felt rushed and then I remember that half of the last issue was spent giving us almost a panel for panel recap of events we had already seen. Was that a good use of space with series concluding in the next issue?

Twitter? :o NO! :lol:

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

hawkeyeps wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

4/5 - decent read

It's all good Dallow :high-five:

What are your thoughts on how the events in Salvation and HW2 reconcile? I think this is my biggest problem with it.

I've heard a lot of people saying it felt rushed and then I remember that half of the last issue was spent giving us almost a panel for panel recap of events we had already seen. Was that a good use of space with series concluding in the next issue?

Twitter? :o NO! :lol:
Yeah I agre that BS and HW2 don’t reconcile very well or at least there’s no obvious explanation. Feels like Lemire’s ending of Bloodshot driving off (literally) into the sunset was maybe intended to indicate an hiatus for the character given the next series goes back in time to the PRS years. However, HW2 puts the kibosh on the as Bloodshot shows up being controlled by Livewire.

Issue #11 was good but again I agree there was too much repetition from an early issue.

BUT...Salvation gave us some good characters to add up the VU, Scarred Man is excellent, return of Rampage with a fleshed out backstory, Daddy (briefly), more info on Magic’s background, return of future Bloodshot.

I wish Lemire wouldn’t have shoehorned the Deadside stuff in, it’s always the kiss of death when that happens (as previously happened in Ninjak).

Any chance that you can record an interview with Kindt and the new Bloodshot writers when you attend that September Con?

hawkeyeps

Post by hawkeyeps »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Any chance that you can record an interview with Kindt and the new Bloodshot writers when you attend that September Con?
If theBeyonder can figure it out with his smart phone we'll give it a shot, I have a flip phone :D

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

hawkeyeps wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Any chance that you can record an interview with Kindt and the new Bloodshot writers when you attend that September Con?
I have a flip phone :D
Canadian Chiclo :funnypost:

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

Haha!

While I do try hard to be objective with my review points when I’m on, I can’t always be so. I doubt I would have brought much balance to that discussion as I have generally been fairly displeased with Bloodshot Salvation overall since the end of the first arc.

There are some good elements leftover as a result of the series... despite the clunky ridiculous deadside storyline involved, I like where we’re at with Jessie as a new regular character. And you know I say that as a fan of having the deadside involved in a good story beyond just Shadowman!

Also, while I think Rampage ended up having little to no payoff after a solid introduction, I am happy with how he has been established in this VEI interpretation. Hope to see some good stories in the future with him appearing & playing a bigger part.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Rampage was written and explored that he can make a come back. We see him down but not dead and its not finalized.
Just like everything else that is rarly re visited. Which is bs
Momo's suposed death was written so she could be saved and have a come back if required.
This is a repeating theme.
I Miss the good old days.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

grendeljd wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

Haha!

While I do try hard to be objective with my review points when I’m on, I can’t always be so. I doubt I would have brought much balance to that discussion as I have generally been fairly displeased with Bloodshot Salvation overall since the end of the first arc.

There are some good elements leftover as a result of the series... despite the clunky ridiculous deadside storyline involved, I like where we’re at with Jessie as a new regular character. And you know I say that as a fan of having the deadside involved in a good story beyond just Shadowman!

Also, while I think Rampage ended up having little to no payoff after a solid introduction, I am happy with how he has been established in this VEI interpretation. Hope to see some good stories in the future with him appearing & playing a bigger part.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I guess I'd have to agree that to go this distance and not see BS and Rampage really square off is a little anti-climactic. And the art is way too scratchy for my taste. And Jesse has the head of a 30 year old on a child's body in some panels.

But overall I enjoyed the arc, even the Baron Samedi aspects (the all dark Deadside issue, not so much). I like that there's some character / settings crossover. And there's some temporal intrigue as well, with BS 4001 saying "this never happened" ... and who, exactly is the civilian that BS killed and why was he so important to Samedi?

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

Needs a re-read (as does the maxi series as a whole) but my initial thoughts are positive.

From a continuity perspective, this ties in with the HWII event pre the prologue but really i just fishing for line-wide continuity here.

Given we had two origin issues, (Bloodhound and Rampage) the maxi series, plot-wise, feels a little light on. I get the feeling this was always intended to be a much larger story but was condensed when DMG took over.

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

jmatt wrote:... and who, exactly is the civilian that BS killed and why was he so important to Samedi?
That's what I want to know!

He didn't seem like much of a threat. Why did Samedi need Bloodshot to go to the future to kill him/ Why couldn't Samedi do it? :?
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.