Faith: Dreamside #4 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Faith: Dreamside #4 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue, please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr191/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California
Re: Faith: Dreamside #4 Discussion

Post by KXXX »

Shout out to Jmatt in the episode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

:)

I'm with you guys entirely about editorial needing to have a stronger guiding hand and imposing some big-picture universe-wide connectivity on the titles. And in a way, you humorously touched upon it: "... but all of the writers would hate me as the editor." "Yeah, but it worked for Shooter!"

It did work for Shooter.

Editorial needs to understand that sometimes, doing your job means making people do things they'd rather not do. Somebody, somebody, has to watch and guide the big picture. And if you don't know the universe and the canon backwards and forwards, you probably shouldn't be the editor.

Anyhoo, thanks for the kind words.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

jmatt wrote::)

I'm with you guys entirely about editorial needing to have a stronger guiding hand and imposing some big-picture universe-wide connectivity on the titles. And in a way, you humorously touched upon it: "... but all of the writers would hate me as the editor." "Yeah, but it worked for Shooter!"

It did work for Shooter.

Editorial needs to understand that sometimes, doing your job means making people do things they'd rather not do. Somebody, somebody, has to watch and guide the big picture. And if you don't know the universe and the canon backwards and forwards, you probably shouldn't be the editor.

My point exactly. Why is it that this seems to be a thing that can't happen anymore?

A shared universe should be editors guiding creators to build a larger narrative, if Valiant doesn't do that they are the same as every other comic out there.

I hope the new editors listened to this episode.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

hawkeyeps wrote:
jmatt wrote::)

It did work for Shooter.

My point exactly. Why is it that this seems to be a thing that can't happen anymore?

A shared universe should be editors guiding creators to build a larger narrative, if Valiant doesn't do that they are the same as every other comic out there.

I hope the new editors listened to this episode.
Totally agree that they need editors who can do the job and love me some Shooter but I think the lesson with Shooter is he didn't do it well either. He took it too far and alienated people like Frank Miller and John Byrne at Marvel, then got himself pushed out of Valiant, then stifled creativity at Defiant and Broadway and his time at VEI wasn't exactly inspiring of his morality.