Rai (2019) #1 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Rai (2019) #1 Discussion

Post by DirtbagSailor »

...or Rai #26, if you add up Rai#1-16, 4001 AD #1-4, and Fallen World #1-5, then yes, this would be Rai #26. :hm:

OTV/VCR 230 - Rai #1

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Re: Rai (2019) #1 Discussion

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Disappointing!

Fallen World was very good but the first issue of this wasn’t great. Raijin, Rai’s new sidekick, I think is supposed to be cute but his character is irritating and feels more like a plot device so Abnett can ‘explain’ what’s going onto the reader so its ‘new reader friendly’ but boring and repetitive to people who have been following the story so far. The conversation between Raijin and the bar tender was so forced it was a chore to read. What happened to the summary page on the inside covers of the books? Presumably another choice of the new editorial team so now we get these ridiculous Stan Lee style recaps mid story.

Also, Abnett has made an odd choice to have Rai be able to move so fast that you don’t really see him moving but all the people around him he’s fighting with are flying around. This got old very quickly in just this issue as you don’t actually see Rai in action, he’s just walking, is this series going to be Rai just walking through bad guys? :? Bizarre!

I usually like Ryp’s art but I’m not sure it’s suited to Rai, can’t put my finger on why but just didn’t feel right. Not a fan of Dalhouse on colours, the books he does always seems to ‘mute’ the art in some way. The colour choices and/or Ryp’s detailed art made it difficult to see what was happening in some fight scenes.

3.25/5 - Hope this gets better but it seems like we’re stuck with cutesy Raijin for this run.
Last edited by Dallow Spicer1 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:13:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Best thing Valiant has put out in months. Good writing. Fun, Darrow-inspired version of Ryp art.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

-ugh- I didn't know to order this month's ago. I suppose now I'll have to track one down at an LCS. Valiant's publishing slate has been so weak that I haven't been paying attention to their solicits at all.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

I was pretty happy with this. A buddy roadtrip is a genius idea for exploring the world of 4002.

But holy *SQUEE*, am I done with Father. There better be a new villain, or even a mini-boss, at some point.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Pretty decent issue. I like Raijin, he’s funny. Ryp’s art is on point as usual, although, it’s not a look I like on Rai, go figure... :?

I don’t like the way they decided to showcase how fast Rai is, with opponents just falling by the wayside. But it was explained in the pre order edition that it won’t always be like that, so... :?

Also, they need a new villain for Rai, like yesterday!! facepalm
#StayValiant

cthulhu73
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Not sure

Post by cthulhu73 »

SwiftMann wrote:Best thing Valiant has put out in months. Good writing. Fun, Darrow-inspired version of Ryp art.
Totally agree.

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

DirtbagSailor wrote:Fallen World #1-5[/url]
I came to this thread to ask what I missed between 4000 AD and this new book, but your post answered it. I'm trying to figure out why Rai is walking around with a mini-me, but all of that must've unfolded in Fallen World, which I didn't read. I do think it's cool that there's some continuity at least between the -yawn- relaunches. It'd be much better if all of this took place in a contiguously numbered Rai title though. There's basically no reason that it couldn't have.

I can't believe that the relaunch theory is still in use. Even as industry sales decline. Regular series give a readership time to build and grow. But apparently publishers (and some readers who mimic the argument) think that it makes more sense for the simpleton readership to weed through a variety of volumes with the same or different titles and same numbering than it simply does to order a collection #1 - 200 or whatever. Yet someone will still continue to argue that the long form comic and too many years of continuity are the problem, even amidst the readership being what it is. hahaahahah -jeeze-

-rant over- I only care enough anymore to make the occasional post of truth like that one and not even dig in anymore when it's argued.

I actually picked up the new book because I love the character. The pictures were pretty.