Bloodshot: Rising Spirit #6 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Bloodshot: Rising Spirit #6 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& The Forgotten Queen #2, & Punk Mambo #1], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr203/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Re: Bloodshot: Rising Spirit #6 Discussion

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Better art helps this book not be complete garbage.

I will say that having someone that gives a damn about Valiant books finishing this story helped this book alone. This crap-fest was dumped on Eliot (but he made them pay), but I think he can make this a semi palatable story. Won't say it'll be good, but I think his ARC will be good.

If they are going to stick with the wacky-endgrams idea, then they should have been doing it this way the entire story. A couple of panels, and then it fails, then a couple of more, and failure. The whole idea of making it a Frankenstein type of story is good, you can see just how obsessed the good Doc was pushing these engrams. you can also see what fried Bloodshot's mind, or at least the progress that fried his mind.

Liked that the blind coder's name is Ray Garison. Like that he reads "Hear no evil, See no evil" before he codes. Like that in the first page, it kind of shows that Bloodshot is blind, and the area he is in (all white) means there is an absence of sound. Bloodshot hears and sees no evil when he is in that suspended state.
Moose

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Big improvement on what has been Valiant’s worst offering since it came back in 2002. Morales art is excellent which begs the question why they use B and C level artists so routinely :?

Rahal on the script has made a difference but fundamentally this series is just one fake scenario after another, talk about going to the well too many times!

3.5/5 - mainly for the art

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

This memory engram concept is definitely a *little* more interesting than the previously tedious tech-talk garbage we've been slogging through in this book, but it still doesn't improve the overall experience of reading this utterly pointless run for me personally. There is zero reason to care about any of these backstory elements we have seen to date.

The artwork by Rags is a welcome upgrade to the look of the book by far though, as I had hoped. I really like his drawing style. Its a shame he came back to Valiant on such a poor series, here's hoping he does another title with them following this.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

grendeljd wrote:This memory engram concept is definitely a *little* more interesting than the previously tedious tech-talk garbage we've been slogging through in this book, but it still doesn't improve the overall experience of reading this utterly pointless run for me personally. There is zero reason to care about any of these backstory elements we have seen to date.
I don't know, I thought finding out that the real Ray Garrison is a blind computer programmer was some what interesting, and a small bit of backstory that one could care about.
Moose

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
grendeljd wrote:This memory engram concept is definitely a *little* more interesting than the previously tedious tech-talk garbage we've been slogging through in this book, but it still doesn't improve the overall experience of reading this utterly pointless run for me personally. There is zero reason to care about any of these backstory elements we have seen to date.
I don't know, I thought finding out that the real Ray Garrison is a blind computer programmer was some what interesting, and a small bit of backstory that one could care about.
On the Ray Garrison thing, I thought in the Lemire run it pretty much said Ray Garrison was Bloodshot’s real identity? In fact didn’t they get a confidential PRS file on it? I have zero confidence in the current writer that he has any awareness of continuity. :?

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
On the Ray Garrison thing, I thought in the Lemire run it pretty much said Ray Garrison was Bloodshot’s real identity? In fact didn’t they get a confidential PRS file on it? I have zero confidence in the current writer that he has any awareness of continuity. :?
I need to re-read to confirm, but I think we never saw anything in that PRS file - in fact, didn't he choose not to read it himself either? I recall a scene where he was at a house, of whom-ever he thought he was supposed to be, but didn't go in and then tossed the file... I can't recall now how he actually got to the point of thinking he was originally "Ray Garrison" - there might be wiggle room in the continuity to have even that element, as we knew it, to not be concrete. I'm thinking off-the-top-of-my-head that he might have just embraced that name himself. The act of choosing to call himself that name as a way of establishing his own independence & free will, regardless of whether or not it is in fact who he was.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
One could care... :P

Its not the worst idea by a mile, for sure. I'm just tainted by the rest of the book, I guess.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

grendeljd wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
I need to re-read to confirm, but I think we never saw anything in that PRS file - in fact, didn't he choose not to read it himself either? I recall a scene where he was at a house, of whom-ever he thought he was supposed to be, but didn't go in and then tossed the file... I can't recall now how he actually got to the point of thinking he was originally "Ray Garrison" - there might be wiggle room in the continuity to have even that element, as we knew it, to not be concrete. I'm thinking off-the-top-of-my-head that he might have just embraced that name himself. The act of choosing to call himself that name as a way of establishing his own independence & free will, regardless of whether or not it is in fact who he was.
Yeah that sounds pretty accurate, it’s not nailed on he’s Ray Garrison but how did that particular name become so relevant to him? Maybe the next issue will tell us?

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Yeah that sounds pretty accurate, it’s not nailed on he’s Ray Garrison but how did that particular name become so relevant to him? Maybe the next issue will tell us?
I do remember that he chose that name in BS:Reborn #1. it was something like "out of all the names that have been swirling around in my head, I picked Ray Garrison." I am more certain about that one, but the BS:Salvation sounds about right too.
Moose

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
I do remember that he chose that name in BS:Reborn #1. it was something like "out of all the names that have been swirling around in my head, I picked Ray Garrison." I am more certain about that one, but the BS:Salvation sounds about right too.
Just reading Fallen World and future Bloodshot is referred to as Ray Garrison....with this in mind do we think the writer of BS Rising Spirit is aware of this or has he just made the blind black guy ‘Ray Garrison ‘ as a throwaway moment to ‘sound’ like he’s aware of continuity?