Punk Mambo #3 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Punk Mambo #3 Discussion

Post by DirtbagSailor »

VCR Episode 211:

Wrath of DBS! :lol:

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr211/

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Re: Punk Mambo #3 Discussion

Post by SwiftMann »

Ooof. This has become a lot like Livewire in the sense that the issues are generally impossible to tell apart with zero plot momentum.

The difference here is that Bunn is putting out memorably bad dialogue* and memorably bad attempts at "shocking" dialogue** while Ayala's writing is just plain forgettable.

*You get your jollies ventin' your inadequacies on others?

**You didn't hear a ringin' in your ears--like a thousand dead babies singing?
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Not a fan of Deadside/magic based books so this will probably be the last series of this type I’ll buy. This was fine, slightly more interesting than the previous issue but not blowing me away either.

3/5 - middle of the road

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

If we could just get the plot to move a long a bit, it’s been little to no progression. Arts still on point for the most part.
#StayValiant

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Very much enjoyed this issue.

Read it & #2 at once, and the two issues have blurred together in my mind a bit. I really like her punk attitude towards the traditions of the Institution of the vodun pantheon & its worshippers. I think she will learn to have a little more respect for them before the end of this story, but its a nice contrast to have her basically criticizing the people who blindly follow the traditions of their religion without question, and the near-ridiculous demand for respect from the Loa who may or may not even deserve it.

Absolutely loving Adam Gorham's artwork so far, you can feel him getting more comfortable with the character with every panel. He has a fantastic style & I love the kinds of compositions he pulls off within each panel, which then flow together within the greater compositions of the page. Particularly impressed with the great "camera angles" he often chooses for scenes which could otherwise be a bit dull to draw.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;