Life and Death of Toyo Harada #6 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Life and Death of Toyo Harada #6 Discussion

Post by DirtbagSailor »

DBS’s spoiler-free review: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

VCR’s spoiler LOADED 120% awesome review is linked below!

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr217/

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill
Re: Life and Death of Toyo Harada #6 Discussion

Post by nonplayer »

I thought it was great. I really liked how the angela vessel was left high and dry in chinese custody expected to make fusion with out the "brain" ingredienttaimos 5/5 sadness its all over.
See what I did there main ingredient
I Miss the good old days.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Wholly disagree that this issue "ties up all the loose ends." From that perspective (and the assumption that DMG has nothing good planned to follow), there's WAY too many loose ends and WAY too much time spent explaining (essentially) one scene from a couple issues ago and then WAY too much time in the other dimension instead of tying up the loose ends.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

SwiftMann wrote:Wholly disagree that this issue "ties up all the loose ends." From that perspective (and the assumption that DMG has nothing good planned to follow), there's WAY too many loose ends and WAY too much time spent explaining (essentially) one scene from a couple issues ago and then WAY too much time in the other dimension instead of tying up the loose ends.
The one big loose end it definitely ties up is just what exactly has been going on with Harada all this time since the end of Imperium. Now we know why he is not showing up anywhere in any other comics - he successfully faked his own death some time ago (recalling that Kozol died & PRS was shut down a while back) to the entire world, with the exception of The Angela Vessel. He is now free to pursue his agenda and manipulate where he sees fit, from behind the scenes all he wants. All the remaining characters have been set free to do as they please, which means they can be used by other writers now. That, of itself, is not tying up a loose end - but it is a form of resetting status quo. I hope we see some reappearances by any of them soon.

I really enjoyed the issue. A solid, bittersweet finish to the grand scheme of Dysarts corner of the Valiant U. Fantastic artwork as always on this title.

Did anyone else queue up the song that Sunlight On Snow played? I put it on YouTube while reading that last portion of the book. Great song, very appropriate.

“Some people have everything, and other people don't.
But everything don't mean a thing if it ain’t the thing you want.”
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Where is alpha. And that dumb villain guy
I Miss the good old days.

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

grendeljd wrote:All the remaining characters have been set free to do as they please, which means they can be used by other writers now. That, of itself, is not tying up a loose end - but it is a form of resetting status quo.
I think this is true of Harada, S.o.S., and LV-99 but (to me) the rest are still following Dysart's trajectory so not free to do as other writers please at all. It just creates the problem of other writers not following through on incomplete ideas and the Dysart Diehard's (rightly) complaining that it's not the characters' stories should go. I would have rather had some time table-setting the other characters than time on things like eating dirt or air straws to other dimensions.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Checkmate indeed- :clap:

I just wish with all the exposition, we got to see the HF teams whereabouts and current status.
#StayValiant

Brapbrap
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Sunlight On Snow
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Raul Allen

Post by Brapbrap »

SwiftMann wrote:Wholly disagree that this issue "ties up all the loose ends." From that perspective (and the assumption that DMG has nothing good planned to follow), there's WAY too many loose ends and WAY too much time spent explaining (essentially) one scene from a couple issues ago and then WAY too much time in the other dimension instead of tying up the loose ends.
this is more of an ending to imperium and book of death: harbinger is the ending to the whole saga

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Finally got my copy of loved this finish! Very happy that Harada isn’t dead and satisfied with how Dysart explained how we arrived at this point. There’s so much potential with what could happen next with these characters (Stronghold, Ingrid, baby Harada! Etc) however I have zero faith in the current editorial that they can come close to following this up with something appropriate).

5/5 - STUCK. THE. LANDING. :clap:

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

DirtbagSailor wrote:DBS’s spoiler-free review: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

VCR’s spoiler LOADED 120% awesome review is linked below!

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr217/
Totally agree with the sentiment regarding Valiant’s current regime and the constant poor choices on books and creators being selected. On the same page with Chris about books going forward, mediocre is not good enough and I won’t be supporting those books, my goodwill and patience has run out.

Also agree that the current people in charge seem to have zero interest in what the fans think and are still catering for the mythical crowd which DBS cleverly termed ‘the most vociferous but don’t buy the books’, exactly right.