Bloodshot: Reborn #13 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Bloodshot: Reborn #13 Discussion

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Brapbrap
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Sunlight On Snow
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Raul Allen
Re: Bloodshot: Reborn #13 Discussion

Post by Brapbrap »

this arc had nice art and the cameos were fun but at the end of the day we all predicted the ending based on issue 1 alone and from then on the next 3 months were kind of a slog. I think this story could have been a lot more.

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

I'm with you Jesse. This comic belongs in your comic book library. What beautiful art! We can't take Larossa for granted. I can't imagine how long it took to produce that artwork.

What a fun four-issue story. The twist at the end was somewhat predictable given how much ground that would have had to be covered in one issue if it was something else. The ending was the plausible explanation for the content of the three prior issues in the arc andreally sets up a fun new arc with Bloodshot Island. :thumb:
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

I believe this book is getting mixed reviews from people upset about the feint, but I think it was well done.

Lemire took us out of being spectators and made us actually feel how it is to be Bloodshot - the emotional manipulation, the betrayal. I don't just have empathy for the man, now I've seen it through his eyes.

There were plenty of clues along the way that this wasn't reality, especially in this last book. I liked the concurrent story explaining what had happened to Magic and Bloodshot after he got back his nanites. They were living off the grid for several months, but there can't be a happily ever after for him. No semi-normal life. His discovery that those 30 years with Magic were all an implanted PRS memory is tragic for him, then there's the added confusion from the virus that Livewire implanted to revive him. Love that tie-in to the post-The Valiant events.

Seems pretty important that PRS would try to retrieve Bloodshot as an asset after all this time. He's been off the grid for years with the exception of the time he begrudgingly worked with them and H.A.R.D. Corps, but he wasn't under their thumb then.

So, wonder what happened to Magic? Is she the new big bad entity on Bloodshot Island?
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

QUARTZ

Post by QUARTZ »

Great twist! I honestly didn't see it coming like that, I thought something was off but not that off. Makes me feel better about the arc as a whole and super excited to see Bloodshot Island!

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

pixierosa wrote:So, wonder what happened to Magic? Is she the new big bad entity on Bloodshot Island?
I doubt it. From the previews of Bloodshot Island I've seen, it seems that the cycle of the Bloodshot's being hunted by Deathmate has been going on for a little while at least. So I don't think it's Magic, because she'd just be getting there at the same time as Bloodshot (unless they kept him on ice for awhile). If you want a nasty theory though, what if Deathmate is Kay!
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Sheikhaljabal
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: Imperium
Favorite writer: Van Lente
Favorite artist: Crain

Post by Sheikhaljabal »

Thought the same myself. This title pays excellent respect to the character. I anxiously await for the B. Island and the B. war/U.S.A. (if they are the same one or not) arcs. Both the Squirt and the Hound are growing on me and the writing and the art are constantly very Good.

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

I really enjoyed the story overall, particularly the art. Although, Valiant seems to have already done this rude awakening segway to the next storyline in Wrath of the Eternal Warrior, but that doesn't detract from the quality of either. Some of the details of the Analog Man seem difficult to explain in light of the "it was all a dream" revelation. For instance, how did he know that Jack Boniface was Shadowman? Why did his vision of future Ninjak look exactly like the one in the Fall of Ninjak?

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Fantastic art. Disappointing wrap up, with Bloodsquirt no less.

"It was all just another implant! You're the man in the tower!". Meh.

Can somebody explain the title to me?

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Sooooo, this WHOLE ARC, was a WASTE!!!!!

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Nice art tho....
#StayValiant

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue (& Imperium #16, & Divinity II #2), please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr66/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Personally, I'm glad to see this resolve as a twist on a PRS memory implant idea. I had suspected as much early on as well, that didn't take any enjoyment of this arc away for me - it was an all-out crazy post-apocalyptic thrill ride thanks to *incredible* art from Larosa, implanted memory or not. I really liked the tie to the post-The Valiant short story from the FCBD 2015 issue with Live wire & Ninjak. Didn't see that coming, and it was a cool idea.

As mentioned by Pixie above, there were plenty of hints all along that something wasn't right with this near-future setting - if this had been real, there where several continuity gaffs that could not be explained other than pure mistakes.

The point about how he could know about Jack Boniface without ever meeting him is more easily explained. Either he had data on Jack stored in his "nanite subconscious" that he accessed while with PRS or even GATE/MI6 (during Armor Hunters), or the same data could have made its way in via Livewire, who would have had the same, if not more access to the GATE or MI6 database' (and we all know that they have been keeping tabs on Jack via both The Valiant and the Deadside arc of Ninjak). What ever info he had could then have been layered into the dream/implanted memory that he was living out in his head.

I also think that the revelations about how he chose to live within this memory implant added to his character development as well, we got to see plenty of emotional range from him with regards to his love for Magic & their imaginary long lives spent together, down to his absolute black rage when he thought he had lost her.
Last edited by grendeljd on Sun May 29, 2016 8:25:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

grendeljd wrote:If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue (& Imperium #16, & Divinity II #2), please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr66/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Listening now... The Girl From Ipanema... :lol:

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

jmatt wrote:
grendeljd wrote:If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue (& Imperium #16, & Divinity II #2), please follow the link;

Listening now... The Girl From Ipanema... :lol:
:lol:

Thanks man - I wish I could have been on the show last week for the three great books that came out, but I couldn't make it. We had to bring in a substitute Josh :P

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

grendeljd wrote:Personally, I'm glad to see this resolve as a twist on a PRS memory implant idea. I had suspected as much early on as well, that didn't take any enjoyment of this arc away for me - it was an all-out crazy post-apocalyptic thrill ride thanks to *incredible* art from Larosa, implanted memory or not. I really liked the tie to the post-The Valiant short story from the FCBD 2015 issue with Live wire & Ninjak. Didn't see that coming, and it was a cool idea.

As mentioned by Pixie above, there were plenty of hints all along that something wasn't right with this near-future setting - if this had been real, there where several continuity gaffs that could not be explained other than pure mistakes.

The point about how he could know about Jack Boniface without ever meeting him is more easily explained. Either he had data on Jack stored in his "nanite subconscious" that he accessed while with PRS or even GATE/MI6 (during Armor Hunters), or the same data could have made its way in via Livewire, who would have had the same, if not more access to the GATE or MI6 database' (and we all know that they have been keeping tabs on Jack via both The Valiant and the Deadside arc of Ninjak). What ever info he had could then have been layered into the dream/implanted memory that he was living out in his head.

I also think that the revelationss about how he chose to live within this memory implant added to his character development as well, we got to see plenty of emotional range from him with regards to his love for Magic & their imaginary long lives spent together, down to his absolute black rage when he thought he had lost him.
+1 to your points, grendlejd.

I'm glad it turned out to that he had been captured by PRS, because the future story was flying in the face of what we have seen foretold in Book of Death and the Fall of... tie ins. I would have been more ticked if this future had turned out to be true.

And yeah, I think the knowledge of Shadowman just goes to show how on top of things MI-6 and GATE really are when it comes to the super-human community. They were previously considering Shadowman as a Unity member (going with Faith, instead), and Ninjak's tech recognized Jack instantly - with Ninjak knowing exactly who/what he is - and they have never met, either.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Really enjoyed this arc. A tinge of disappointment that it was an implanted memory (although the sign were there from how Faith died), nonetheless great action and nice twist at the end. I didn't guess Bloodshot would be the man in the tower nor Livewire and Ninjak would be involved in hijacking his nanites. Tremendous art from Larosa. Has Bloodshot ever been better written or drawn?

Looking forward to Bloodshot island, unless it's another implant? Glad to see that the Bloodshot hound does appear quite as goofy as I first thought when it appeared in BOD. Not a huge fan of Bloodsquirt though so not so happy to see the return of the Bloody Buddy!

4.75/5 :thumb:

OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Shooter
Favorite artist: Perlin

Post by OhioValiantNut »

Still one of the best books out there ... totally playing with my emotions though ... facepalm

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Art was amazing! I liked it. I'm interested

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

I actually loved this arc. We know BS was subject to false/implanted memories when used as a weapon by PRS but we'd yet to live out an arc with this at the core of the story. I think it was perfectly executed and a great nod towards continuity by keeping with the original Swierczynski run :thumb:

Bring on Bloodshot Island and 'Deathmate' (who I think is Magic...)

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

A bunch of original art from this issue posted here for your viewing (or purchasing) pleasure:

http://sonicdan.com/larosa/forsale.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:thumb:
Dan
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

Bl00dsh0t wrote:I actually loved this arc. We know BS was subject to false/implanted memories when used as a weapon by PRS but we'd yet to live out an arc with this at the core of the story. I think it was perfectly executed and a great nod towards continuity by keeping with the original Swierczynski run :thumb:

I just read thru the first four TPBs and really enjoyed the series. Definitely going to reread the 2012 series and check out the remaining series. I might even pick up the new series in two weeks.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

tarheelmarine wrote:
Bl00dsh0t wrote:I actually loved this arc. We know BS was subject to false/implanted memories when used as a weapon by PRS but we'd yet to live out an arc with this at the core of the story. I think it was perfectly executed and a great nod towards continuity by keeping with the original Swierczynski run :thumb:

I just read thru the first four TPBs and really enjoyed the series. Definitely going to reread the 2012 series and check out the remaining series. I might even pick up the new series in two weeks.
Why is this book so important?

Harbinger Wars II
Moose

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

tarheelmarine wrote:

If you want to finish Lemire's run, Bloodshot USA is technically Vol. 5. Then read Bloodshot Reborn #0, then Bloodshot's Day Off #1, then Bloodshot Salvation #1-12.