Bloodshot (2019) #3

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Bloodshot (2019) #3

Post by TheFerg714 »

No one's talking about it, so here's a thread.

I'm trying really hard to like this series, but it's becoming harder. On one hand, I kind of like the "simplistic" nature of this series. It really kind of feels like a dumb over-the-top action blockbuster, and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. On the other hand, it's wearing thin. I mean is Bloodshot literally going to be carted around to different secret organizations this entire series?

I think I might be out.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Re: Bloodshot (2019) #3

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I thought this was a significant improvement on the 2 very poor issues that preceded it.

Liked:
How the other ‘agents’ could see that Bloodshot was seeing a programme in his head but not the real mission that they were seeing. I think this might be the first time that has been done and it thought it was interesting.
Liked that Seeley addressed the need for protein issue.
Continuity reference to Bloodshot’s daughter.
How Booth draws ‘melty’ Bloodshot is good.
No singing.

Didn’t like:
It’s still a bit tenuous what Bloodshot’s purpose is in this series? To go back and ‘do good’ for the damage he’s previously done, seems odd?
Bloodshot does a ‘speech’ every issue which comes across as ‘preachy’ and just out of character.
The art looks old fashioned and character designs from 90’s Image.
How this new group ‘the Burning’ (?) entered the fray was confusing and if their motivation as ex military/special Ops is to ‘do good’ then again it seems peculiar.

3.75/5 - was better than #1 and #2 but my expectations are so low these days that I’m easily pleased if one of the books shows a glimmer of hope.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

The Burned is the first semblance of any real story in this series, confirming that #1 & 2 were complete time wasters. Booth's art is still fun, but a bit sloppier this issue. Was that a guy's head in one panel or an old box tv? Cause it was kind of impossible to tell.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

I enjoyed the numerous nods to past Bloodshot books

First page, Bloodshot referenced his nanites as "Goldies", when was the last time you heard that?
the "Tunnel Rat" bit was a direct take from Kevin Van Hook's Bloodshot back in the day
Need for Protein, we've heard this a bit, but aren't we always asking for more nods to his protein consumption?
The female Psyot, direct take from HWII and her "Activation". Even had a flashback (of sorts), and while it didn't show Peter activating her, you can tell it's from about the same time.
Mention of his daughter, spot on!
PRS mentioning. not mentioning that they were pulling the strings, but more that Bloodshot remembered them, the damage they caused him, etc.
Moose

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

A couple nice nods to continuity, Booths art was ok, and the Burned seem interesting, but I’m still not sure where Seeley is going with the story he’s trying to tell. It’s hard not to compare this with what’s come before, but without the recent nods to continuity, this feels really disconnected, overall.
#StayValiant