Doctor Mirage (2019) #5 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Doctor Mirage (2019) #5 Discussion

Post by DirtbagSailor »

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Re: Doctor Mirage (2019) #5 Discussion

Post by SwiftMann »

"Crow-flies! Attend me!"

This was so bad. Zero payoff to the previous issues. Absolutely no reason for the tv director captions.

I don't have any problem with getting her out there on her own. Hell, I even get that. This was just an incredibly clunky and headscratchingly convoluted way to do that.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

SwiftMann wrote:"Crow-flies! Attend me!"

This was so bad. Zero payoff to the previous issues. Absolutely no reason for the tv director captions.

I don't have any problem with getting her out there on her own. Hell, I even get that. This was just an incredibly clunky and headscratchingly convoluted way to do that.
According to Robert Meyers this was Mags Visaggios best work ....soooo..... :?

DirtbagSailor
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Robert Meyers was the Senior Editorial Director (overseeing an Editor and Assistant Editor...).

This makes THREE editors for this issue, which was written out of character, and without a coherent plot.

So, Robert is NOT the best judge of this book, as 1.) he is invested in this book, and as a result, 2.) lacks credibility insomuch as his ability to provide an honest, unbiased assessment.

The book (series) was not great, and Robert either knows this to be true and is avoiding honestly, or does not know this to be true and is out of touch with what people consider to be “quality.”

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

DirtbagSailor wrote:Robert Meyers was the Senior Editorial Director (overseeing an Editor and Assistant Editor...).

This makes THREE editors for this issue, which was written out of character, and without a coherent plot.

So, Robert is NOT the best judge of this book, as 1.) he is invested in this book, and as a result, 2.) lacks credibility insomuch as his ability to provide an honest, unbiased assessment.

The book (series) was not great, and Robert either knows this to be true and is avoiding honestly, or does not know this to be true and is out of touch with what people consider to be “quality.”
As much as Meyer may be a long term Valiant fan, I don’t think his judgement on what makes a good book is on the mark and I think he delegates too much responsibility to other editors. ‘Creative freedom’ can go too far if not unchecked.

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:"Crow-flies! Attend me!"

According to Robert Meyers this was Mags Visaggios best work ....soooo..... :?
I just looked through her bibliography. She's done a bunch of stuff. 98% stuff I haven't and would never read. The two Marvel books of hers I've read (Ms. Marvel Annual and Dazzler one-shot) were meh at best. That does make them better than Doctor Mirage though, so clearly Robert Meyers is either a lovely hype man or bad at his job.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Just read the mini within the last few days.

I think the wrap up was confusing; not really sure of what actually happened now. But then, the supernatural books are not my favorite genre to begin with.

The original premise of the Doctor Mirage book in the '90s is that it was a romance book, something that has a history in published comics, but something that worked with the prevailing genre of the '90s. That's how the previous minis have been set up as well. Doing away with that concept leaves future Doctor Mirage books without its unique niche. I wouldn't have had a problem with them eventually going that way, but we've only seen two minis previously. We haven't even seen as many total books as the original Valiant run yet.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

So… how did the girl know that Shan couldn't have kids, if Hwen wasn't really Hwen?
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

kjjohanson wrote:Just read the mini within the last few days.

I think the wrap up was confusing; not really sure of what actually happened now. But then, the supernatural books are not my favorite genre to begin with.

The original premise of the Doctor Mirage book in the '90s is that it was a romance book, something that has a history in published comics, but something that worked with the prevailing genre of the '90s. That's how the previous minis have been set up as well. Doing away with that concept leaves future Doctor Mirage books without its unique niche. I wouldn't have had a problem with them eventually going that way, but we've only seen two minis previously. We haven't even seen as many total books as the original Valiant run yet.
No lie the romance was the only reason I liked the original series. No beating around the bush when the couple is already married. So for that angle to possibly be dumped is incredibly disappointing. It makes the character incredibly generic as well.