Rai (2019) #3

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Rai (2019) #3

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Pretty good issue, best one of the first 3 IMO. I like how Abnett has a new self contained story each issue, the first 2 issues were ‘meh’ but this one was interesting. Raijin doesn’t know why Rai has collapsed and is unresponsive, turns out Lula takes Rai offline in order to force contact with him. This leaves Raijin having to fend for himself. Took me until the end to realise ‘Red king’ was father, didn’t recall him having that name before?

Still not loving Ryp’s art on this book and Dalhouse’s colours but still a solid read.

3.75/5 :thumb:

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Re: Rai (2019) #3

Post by SwiftMann »

Meanwhile, while I really liked this, I found it to be the least engaging of the three issues. No real tension. Touched on some good stuff, just very low key. And still loving the art here.

Struggling with the idea that the VCR guys all gave this a slightly lower rating than Bloodshot #5.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

SwiftMann wrote:
Struggling with the idea that the VCR guys all gave this a slightly lower rating than Bloodshot #5.
Until I listened to VCR I’m wondering what Chris and Jesse we’re thinking scoring Bloodshot higher, but now I realise they weren’t on the podcast. We need some truth bombs dropping on these podcasts...no way is Bloodshot 4/5!

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

I really liked this issue, a lot more than the first two. It feels like the plot actually has some forward momentum, and it was surprisingly nice to see Lula Lee. I really hope this series gets at least 12 issues.

Ramses818
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

Hey guys I have had the pleasure being on the podcasts and I think Rai has been better every time. To me issue 2 has been the strongest so far, and three is what every comic needs. Nothing major just some character development , a little down time. That’s not saying things didn’t happen just that it is plotting seeds for further down the road. I would argue that the colors by Dalhouse have been pitch perfect. The art by Ryp has been much better than I expected and the story by Abnett has been top notch. I love spending time talking about every issue that has come out. It is by far the best Valiant title out right now. It checks off every box I want in a superhero story. I have read every issue at least twice and the more I read them the more I enjoy them. I can’t wait to get the collected versions to read all at once.