Quantum & Woody (2020) #1 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Quantum & Woody (2020) #1 Discussion

Post by SwiftMann »

*sigh* This didn't really work. The art doesn't match the surprisingly grim tone. And it's over-written to a fault. We don't need everything explained and re-explained. I actually liked the general premise of this issue, but the execution didn't work for me.

As I'm re-reading the original 90s run, I'm struck by how quick most issues read. Priest relied on Bright to tell the story with art more than I remembered and it was very effective. Most writers today don't do that, including here (depsite the artist giving us plenty of detail).
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill
Re: Quantum & Woody (2020) #1 Discussion

Post by nonplayer »

Thanks for the review
I Miss the good old days.

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Re: Quantum & Woody (2020) #1 Discussion

Post by Oxmyx »

SwiftMann wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:09:16 am The art doesn't match the surprisingly grim tone.
Dr. Tomorrow struck me the same way. But I think Dr. Tomorrow was slightly less cartoony. Slightly. Q+W had XX eyes on dead people. That stood out to me.

Did anybody else notice that after Woody accidentally shoots the extradimensional gremlin the creature continues to show up in the background just floating with his XX eyes? I thought that was hilarious.

And does anyone know what that Apprehension urban legend thing was about?
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?