Bloodshot #0 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Bloodshot #0 Discussion

Post by SwiftMann »

This is the most coherent Bloodshot comic in some time. It's still got Seeley wording quirks that pull me out of the story for a blip, but otherwise enjoyable.

It's unclear where in the timeline this taking place other than after Harbinger Wars 2. And it's also unclear why this is a #0 other than the extra exposition to over describe his powers.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: Bloodshot #0 Discussion

Post by TheFerg714 »

This issue made it clear to me that Brett Booth isn't the best option for this type of story.

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

TheFerg714 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:41:56 am This issue made it clear to me that Brett Booth isn't the best option for this type of story.
Even as a fan of his stuff, I have to agree.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

This read better than #6, but that’s not saying much. It still had some funky dialogue. Lamings art carried the weight. Here’s hoping this duo can step things up from a story perspective in the next arc of the ongoing.
#StayValiant

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

SwiftMann wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:30:08 am
TheFerg714 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:41:56 am This issue made it clear to me that Brett Booth isn't the best option for this type of story.
Even as a fan of his stuff, I have to agree.
I like him too, and on paper, he seems perfect for Bloodshot. In reality though, it's just so messy and sketchy that it makes it really hard to understand what's going on. I think a writer like Tim Seeley really needs an artist that can clearly lay out what he's trying to accomplish.

Also, Booth's pencils look hella rough, like it was almost the first draft. Part of my thinks Bloodshot's editors were trying to save money and time and actually wanted to look ultra-sketchy for Bloodshot. It was a bad plan.

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

My theory is that Booth can't figure out what's going on in this story either, even though he drew it. I think I would have just killed myself if I had to try to make sense of this script enough to try to illustrate it.

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Agreed! Even though the story was still very mediocre, the cleaner art made a big difference.

Don’t like the Bloodshot power that nanites create clothes?!? Also, why would it create the black bloodshot t-shirt with the dropping blood from the red circle ? :? The editors really need to get a grip on these books as the detail is not good.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:59:36 pm
Agreed! Even though the story was still very mediocre, the cleaner art made a big difference.

Don’t like the Bloodshot power that nanites create clothes?!? Also, why would it create the black bloodshot t-shirt with the dropping blood from the red circle ? :? The editors really need to get a grip on these books as the detail is not good.
Did anyone else find the errors on the last page? Supposed to be in Russia, but patches on soldiers uniforms are American Flags.
Moose

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheeBaldMoose wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:29:08 am
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:59:36 pm

Did anyone else find the errors on the last page? Supposed to be in Russia, but patches on soldiers uniforms are American Flags.
I took that to be a snapshot of a different adventure where Bloodshot continues on the lame premise of ‘doing good’. I The purpose of this zero issue was presumably bring ‘new readers ( :o ) up to speed on Bloodshot’s motivation now. I think the American flag thing was intentional and a political statement by ether the writer or artist (yawn).

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

SwiftMann wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:34:26 am This is the most coherent Bloodshot comic in some time. It's still got Seeley wording quirks that pull me out of the story for a blip, but otherwise enjoyable.

It's unclear where in the timeline this taking place other than after Harbinger Wars 2. And it's also unclear why this is a #0 other than the extra exposition to over describe his powers.
I would disagree, this was the most IN-coherent issue published and did a poor job of explaining BS's backstory from the previous series. It was just a bad fill in between issue before the start of the new story arc.