The Visitor #3 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
The Visitor #3 Discussion

Post by SwiftMann »

The story here is just so very bad. Whether it's little things like talking about DNA testing blood and then immediately contaminating the sample by licking it to see if it's "coppery" to the endless feeling 3-page sequence of discussions overusing -sama and -san to the completely unnecessary last panel. And, it turns out, I don't care one lick about the vague future origin sequences.

The art has a few moments, but it also has a lot of repeated face design - as in, it's pretty much just the glasses that make the two leads look remotely different.

This is just really bad comics.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: The Visitor #3 Discussion

Post by BugsySig »

The story continues to crawl along at a snails pace. Literally nothing has happened and I could care less about any of the characters (none of whom look remotely Japanese btw...get an artist who can draw more than 3 faces—fat, regular and skinny—please. ). And I think I’ve become less interested in who the Visitor is with each successive issue and reveal. So he’s a synth or a Rai or some hybrid human/alien...whatever.

Also, with the inclusion of a particular time traveler in Doctor Tomorrow #1, it also makes no sense why said time traveler would not also be aware of The Visitor’s presence in his past. Poor continuity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

BugsySig wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:41:30 pm Also, with the inclusion of a particular time traveler in Doctor Tomorrow #1, it also makes no sense why said time traveler would not also be aware of The Visitor’s presence in his past. Poor continuity.
I always let them wrap up the story before I declare it a failure. We've seen plenty of movies with a twist ending that makes slogging through the first two hours worth it (and then you go back and see some of the clues, etc.), but there are also stories that finish up and make no sense to the greater universe continuity even years later (still looking at you, Dead Drop). :kidaround:

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

I can't say it's the most exciting series in the world, but I find myself getting wrapped up in the mystery of it all. The Visitor himself is cool af, and I can't wait to learn more about him. I also really like the two leads' chemistry (maybe it says something that I can't remember their names) and the art is great. MJ Kim has a bold, bombastic style that is really fun to look at it, and I don't have a problem with her faces either. They're all different enough to me.

Maybe I'm the weird one.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

To each is own, but man, this is bad. There is NOTHING to like here. Ok, the art is serviceable, but we’re three issues in, and know nothing about the lead character in this book. We get little hints at his motives, but that’s not enough. Three issues of talking heads and a cat and mouse chase. The way this issue ended, maybe this is a love story, and we just haven’t caught on yet... facepalm :?
#StayValiant

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I’ve been on board with this series so far but this issue was problematic for a few reasons...

- the blood licking scene..who licks blood (or anything) that you don’t know if it’s hazardous?
- Dauber speaks Japanese? What are the odds that a police woman is assigned to guard a Japanese group of scientists and she happens to speak their language
- the kiss between Dauber and whatshisface seemed forced and out of the blue. So Dauber kisses the reporter in issue #1 and in issue #3 she’s kissing one of the fellas she’s guarding? :|

I’m sticking g with this to the end but this issue was a drop in quality.

Anyone noticed the increased use of the word ‘*SQUEE*’ in Valiant books lately...looks like that word has been given the green light as ‘ok’ but it seems over used...*SQUEE*!

3/5