Doctor Tomorrow Acclaim

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

armlessphelan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Doctor Tomorrow Acclaim

Post by armlessphelan »

Continuing my reading of old Valiant/Acclaim titles, I finished Doctor Tomorrow and loved everything but the final issue. It resolved everything with a stable time loop, which was fine, but where did Bob Layton go and where did they find the artist? Because they'd rotated through some of the best artists of the 90s and ended with... that.
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith
Re: Doctor Tomorrow Acclaim

Post by Oxmyx »

armlessphelan wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:34:46 pm the final issue. It resolved everything with a stable time loop
Ack! Spoilers, dude!

:P
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Re: Doctor Tomorrow Acclaim

Post by SwiftMann »

Didn't the letters page say that it boiled down to Editorial wanting to end in a different direction (to go into Final Solution) than Layton wanted and Layton walked?

Kenny Martinez was the penciler of Troublemakers which he did a great job on. Perhaps his style was more suited to that book, but I had zero problem with him jumping into the last issue of Doctor Tomorrow as they transitioned fully into the Valiant Heroes timeline instead of the retrospective with retrospective art styles. Keep in mind they were just mimicking the styles of great artists, not actually great artists.

#1 Don Perlin
#2 Dean Zachary
#3 Alex Maleev
#4 Jim Hall
#5 Kevin Kobasic
#6 Dick Giordano
#7 Tom Grindberg
#8 James Fry
#9 Gordon Purcell
#10 Anthony Williams
#11 Andrew Wildman
#12 Kenny Martinez

That's two guys from the Silver Age. Super early Maleev. And then a couple utter no-names and a bunch of guys who did yeoman's work throughout the 90s. I don't seen anyone close to "some of the best artists of the 90s."
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246