FCBD 2020 Bloodshot

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
FCBD 2020 Bloodshot

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Short Bloodshot story introducing Wilfred Wigan’s from the Bloodshot movie into the Valiant U. Very standard Bloodshot tale which leads into Bloodshot #10 (I can’t believe they’re letting Tim Seeley’s chaotic dross go 10 issues). New female character in the last panel shows up, could be interesting.

Interestingly no writing or art credits to this story. Art was B/C level and story pretty basic. 2.5/5

XO story by Dysart and Braithwaite. Subtle tale from Dysart and great pencils from Braithwaite reminds us of what was. No wise cracking armour having back and forth ‘banter’ with Aric, just a solid story of Aric as a boy told alongside Aric as a man battling an unknown entity out in space. The story’s cleverly intertwining.

Definitely worth picking up for more Dysart goodness 4/5

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Re: FCBD 2020 Bloodshot

Post by IMJ »

I never got any of my FCBD selections from DCBS. I thought that maybe all of the titles were cancelled this year.... :?

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:33:17 am Short Bloodshot story introducing Wilfred Wigan’s from the Bloodshot movie into the Valiant U. Very standard Bloodshot tale which leads into Bloodshot #10 (I can’t believe they’re letting Tim Seeley’s chaotic dross go 10 issues). New female character in the last panel shows up, could be interesting.

Interestingly no writing or art credits to this story. Art was B/C level and story pretty basic. 2.5/5

XO story by Dysart and Braithwaite. Subtle tale from Dysart and great pencils from Braithwaite reminds us of what was. No wise cracking armour having back and forth ‘banter’ with Aric, just a solid story of Aric as a boy told alongside Aric as a man battling an unknown entity out in space. The story’s cleverly intertwining.

There was something about that Dysart/Braithwaite piece that was just amazing, Aric had grown to become the hero that he celebrated as a child. Did Aric die? did he become a God Star in the sky? Art was beautiful, and the story had all the heart of a Dysart book, or what you would come to expect from a Dysart book (all in 22 pages).It left you feeling, celebrating, wondering what will become of Aric, all while feeling, celebrating, wondering what might have been if Dysart would have gotten a series of X-O.
Moose

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheeBaldMoose wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:57:05 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:33:17 am Short Bloodshot story introducing Wilfred Wigan’s from the Bloodshot movie into the Valiant U. Very standard Bloodshot tale which leads into Bloodshot #10 (I can’t believe they’re letting Tim Seeley’s chaotic dross go 10 issues). New female character in the last panel shows up, could be interesting.

There was something about that Dysart/Braithwaite piece that was just amazing, Aric had grown to become the hero that he celebrated as a child. Did Aric die? did he become a God Star in the sky? Art was beautiful, and the story had all the heart of a Dysart book, or what you would come to expect from a Dysart book (all in 22 pages).It left you feeling, celebrating, wondering what will become of Aric, all while feeling, celebrating, wondering what might have been if Dysart would have gotten a series of X-O.
Nice touch to dedicate it to V-Ditti by Dysart

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

hawkeyeps wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:30:08 pm The last VCR

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/224/
Oh man, the end of era facepalm No more VCR, who is gonna keep it real reviewing Valiant books now? The other Valiant podcasts just have different levels of ‘awesome’ for books which clearly aren’t or am I missing one?

@Chris launch a ‘get off my lawn’ Valiant podcast and have the other guys on :lol:

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

I actually just re-read this after listening to the VCR comments about it a couple days back.

I haven't seen the Bloodshot movie. Doubt I will. Including characters from the flick is fine, but this isn't any kind of introduction. Poorly done. As was the art.

The X-O story was gorgeously drawn. But as one who does not bow at the Alter of Dysart, this story was just more rambling Dysart. Captions like "Shanhara gives me enchanted eyes so that I may see the distant signal fire as if it were close" or spending an entire page expanding on "Tell me a story" so you can sort of piece it in again at the end may feel poetic to some. But it feels very out-of-character and comes off as complete self-indulgence by the writer.

The 2001-esque ending to it all makes little sense. More importantly, it's all pointless. I mean, it's a gift to the old fans, but that could have easily been done with a paid one-shot. You all would have bought the crap out of it. For an FCBD book though? It makes no sense as the majority of the content. No one that happens to pick this up because of the Bloodshot movie/Vin Disel cover/it's just free is going to be able to springboard from this into the current X-O travesty (nor should they). Just seems like a bad business move. But I guess when you barely have any product coming out in the coming months and a significant portion of your fanbase is expecting (hoping?) that the company stops publishing there's little more to do than not pay for new material.
Last edited by SwiftMann on Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:17:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Double post
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:33:17 am New female character in the last panel shows up, could be interesting.
Female character? Dallow, not making fun, but you didn't realize that it was the girl from the Bloodshot movie? I can't remember her name right now.

I mean, she is, isn't she?

I agree very much with other comments that Wiggins character was introduced very poorly (meaning not at all) but the female's into was a strong one, if it is followed up decently in whatever issue follows this story
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Oxmyx wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:14:25 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:33:17 am New female character in the last panel shows up, could be interesting.
Female character? Dallow, not making fun, but you didn't realize that it was the girl from the Bloodshot movie? I can't remember her name right now.

I agree very much with other comments that Wiggins character was introduced very poorly (meaning not at all) but the female's into was a strong one, if it is followed up decently in whatever issue follows this story
Yeah it could be / probably is her. Can’t remember from the film if her power related to water as it’s been a few months since I watched Bloodshot.

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:26:31 pm

Yeah it could be / probably is her. Can’t remember from the film if her power related to water as it’s been a few months since I watched Bloodshot.
I think her artificial enhancement let her breathe under water? Can someone please remind me
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Oxmyx wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:01:13 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:26:31 pm

I think her artificial enhancement let her breathe under water? Can someone please remind me
her enhancement allowed her to breath in any environment. Toxic, underwater, zero oxygen (I assume)
Moose

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Finally got around to actually reading this....

Why are movie characters showing up in the comic, it’s supposed to be the other way around. Unless it’s like a second bloodshot ongoing that’s movie verse continuity.. :?

The X-O story by Dysart was so much better than Hopeless X-O #1. That’s how you write the character. Geez! The old crew is sorely missed! :|
#StayValiant