Doctor Tomorrow #5 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Doctor Tomorrow #5 Discussion

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Nutshell: The younger now older Bart Simms takes the older now younger Bart Simms' suit away and hands him over to Capshaw and GATE. The older now younger Doctor Tomorrow is unapologetic and the younger now older one becomes the new Doctor Tomorrow. Rex the Razer has another weird cameo in the far background. Ank and Neela think that's weird.

There's a compass point. 12 more issues of this?!? Scary AF!

Also, they decided to replace Rocafort's main cover with Henry's canceled cover C from issue #4.

My best bet is Rocafort will now do covers for #BadIdea.

slack
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: pre-Unity 90's
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger (Dysart)
Favorite writer: tough choice
Favorite artist: ?
Re: Doctor Tomorrow #5 Discussion

Post by slack »

I enjoyed this. Look forward to miss from this writer.

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:21:19 pm Nutshell: The younger now older Bart Simms takes the older now younger Bart Simms' suit away and hands him over to Capshaw and GATE. The older now younger Doctor Tomorrow is unapologetic and the younger now older one becomes the new Doctor Tomorrow. Rex the Razer has another weird cameo in the far background. Ank and Neela think that's weird.

Also, they decided to replace Rocafort's main cover with Henry's canceled cover C from issue #4.

I thought this was a 5 issue mini series?
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

Sunlight on Snow

The series would have been much better if some editor told the other editor he should not use too many characters especially not the ones who aren't supposed to be there in the first place (e.g. Rex the Razer, Bloodshot, and maybe not Livewire; among others*) and who wouldn't do much *SQUEE* anyway (e.g. Rex the Razer, Bloodshot, and maybe Livewire; among others). It makes no sense....especially if only the newly introduced character would be able to beat the other newly introduced villain character. This, of course, doesn't make much sense anyway. As if X-O couldn't have possibly stripped the suit off of DocTom?

And the problem is, all these problems could have been easily avoided.

This was the perfect chance to re-introduce a strong GATE and UNITY:

X-O, GIN-GR, Ank, Neela, and Capshaw with her handy handgun.

Instead there were too many bystanders and while everybody was there, there was almost no team work whatsoever.

There's a simple rule: Don't let a rookie writer play with too many big guns.

*Just to make this clear...

1) Rex the Razer is not supposed to be in the Liveside. There was no explanation. Neither did he do or say anything. His appearance was pointless.
2) Bloodshot is supposed to fight zombie taliban and other monsters. It's physically impossible to be in 2 places at the same time. He's also rogue. It wouldn't make sense for Neela knowing where to find him for this battle. Besides, he didn't do or say much either. His appearance was pointless.
3) Livewire -- very unlikely she would be part of this after what happened. She's also still rogue. Needless to say, she didn't do or say much either. Her appearance was pointless. Do you see the pattern?
4) Gilad was last seen telling Shan he'd take better care of Tama now. Why would he show up there and, most importantly, don't do or say much? Makes no sense! Hence his appearance was utterly pointless.
5) Shadowman -- he has yet to be a part of the main universe. Here he showed up, without explanation, without doing or saying much. Guess what his appearance was? POINTLESS!
6) Punk like Shadowman has certain abilities and as a character should be used accordingly. Her appearance here....? Nuff said.
7) Sunlight -- don't *SQUEE* with Sunlight. Sunlight's supposed to do and say something funny but he didn't do or say anything. Also, last time Sunny was seen in the Himalayas. Not sure why Sunlight would show up here, without any expla.....
8) Q&W -- really?!? Why would anybody think it would be a good idea to invite them to the table? Also, all of the above!
9) A&A -- again, all of the above.

This series would have been so much better if 1-9 hadn't shown up.

Maybe I have read way too many Valiant comics way too often and it's backfiring now.
Last edited by Sunlight on Snow on Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:34:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sunlight on Snow

The Chosen 1 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:15:34 am
Sunlight on Snow wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:21:19 pm Nutshell: The younger now older Bart Simms takes the older now younger Bart Simms' suit away and hands him over to Capshaw and GATE. The older now younger Doctor Tomorrow is unapologetic and the younger now older one becomes the new Doctor Tomorrow. Rex the Razer has another weird cameo in the far background. Ank and Neela think that's weird.

Of course, yes. This is certainly over.

Arbona just mentioned in the compass point interview that he has a whole notebook full of DT stories and hinted at the possibility of a future maxi-series. Fortunately, there is no "DT will return". He's just messing with us. He doesn't have a notebook.

The Chosen 1
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:31:34 am
The Chosen 1 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:15:34 am

Of course, yes. This is certainly over.

Arbona just mentioned in the compass point interview that he has a whole notebook full of DT stories and hinted at the possibility of a future maxi-series. Fortunately, there is no "DT will return". He's just messing with us. He doesn't have a notebook.
Lol, ok, thanks. Sorry i was a little slow on the uptake, but thanks for clarifying :) :thumb:
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:24:32 am Capshaw with her handy handgun.
Dude, that was a Vine blaster rifle. I'm not sure what terminology you'd prefer but it was certainly no handgun. I actually have to give a nod of credit to the writer, here...most sci-fi action stories (movies, comics, whatever) have the heros unceremoniously discard advanced tools and weapons they come across instead of using them. Nice touch, that.

But otherwise, I entirely agree with everything else you said. Pointless, pointless, pointless. Even more pointless (way more, I guess) than that final battle in THE VALIANT which also had some cringe-worthy uncalled-for appearances (including Q+W)

That said, I rather enjoyed it, but for the moment I have to compartmentalize this (in my head!) as not within VU continuity in the same way I've heard NINJAK VERSUS the VU is also not part of continuity exactly but is almost.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Sunlight on Snow

Oxmyx wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:58:10 am
Sunlight on Snow wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:24:32 am Capshaw with her handy handgun.
Dude, that was a Vine blaster rifle. I'm not sure what terminology you'd prefer but it was certainly no handgun. I actually have to give a nod of credit to the writer, here...most sci-fi action stories (movies, comics, whatever) have the heros unceremoniously discard advanced tools and weapons they come across instead of using them. Nice touch, that.
Capshaw has been using alien tech and weaponry (and space crafts) since Venditti's run.

"Handy handgun" is meant to be ironical. This thing is almost bigger than her. That first panel with her in the background is hilarious.

cthulhu73
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Not sure

Post by cthulhu73 »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:24:32 am
Maybe I have read way too many Valiant comics way too often and it's backfiring now.
I really wanted to like this series. I agree with backfiring; the quality has just dropped off so much (with the exception of Rai, IMO) that it's kind of depressing to read now.

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

It wasn't a bad little series. I think one of it's massive flaws is that it asks me to believe that this is a big cohesive universe where all these heroes would team up to fight a bad guy. I haven't believed that about this universe for years.

cthulhu73
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Not sure

Post by cthulhu73 »

dornwolf wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:31:40 pm It wasn't a bad little series. I think one of it's massive flaws is that it asks me to believe that this is a big cohesive universe where all these heroes would team up to fight a bad guy. I haven't believed that about this universe for years.
It was definitely better than the later Livewire issues. However, this story could have been told in 2-3 issues and been a lot better I think. It has the "five-issue TPB" bloat.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

So now (former) senior editor Robert Meyers wanted an ‘all ages book’ he could give to kids at conventions so he lets another former editor (Arbona) practice being a writer at Valiant and allows him to use ALL the Valiant characters in a FIVE issue series!

The results..

Cartoony drawing which kids might like? - check
Pointless battles using all of Valiant’s main characters for no apparent reason which kids might like? - check
Easy to follow story which kids might like? - definitely NOT check

Convoluted, tedious story, more cartoony art from this version of Valiant...thankfully it’s over.

1.5/5