Bloodshot 9 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

cthulhu73
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Not sure
Bloodshot 9 Discussion

Post by cthulhu73 »

Anyone else read this?

The art is pretty cool, but I have a difficult time following the story. The COVID break did not help. I feel like I need to re-read it to better try to understand, but I don't want to.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Re: Bloodshot 9 Discussion

Post by SwiftMann »

I read it. Because I have read every other Valiant issue from the last 29 years and for no other reason.

The story beats are hard to follow. The dialogue is unbearable. The art had decent moments, but that doesn't matter when Bloodshot's face and hair look different panel to panel.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

cthulhu73

Post by cthulhu73 »

"I read it. Because I have read every other Valiant issue from the last 29 years and for no other reason."

Same boat. Rai, however, is very good. Although I wonder if I think that just because the rest of what's left are so bad.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

I finally caught up with Bloodshot, after being at least a few arcs behind for quite a while. Mostly because I heard there was something of importance in this issue. Thoughts on the teaser at the end of the issue?
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

cthulhu73

Post by cthulhu73 »

It's been a month since I read it, and now I don't recall the teaser!

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

cthulhu73 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:57:27 am It's been a month since I read it, and now I don't recall the teaser!
Wiggans

cthulhu73

Post by cthulhu73 »

Wiggins as in the techie from the movie?

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

cthulhu73 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:04:20 pm Wiggins as in the techie from the movie?
Exactly. There's a bit at the end of the book where Bloodshot gets a transmission form someone (I would assume Wiggans) informing Bloodshot that PRS is still active. The blurb for the next issue suggests that Wiggans will appear (which is why I assume the transmission is from him). 9 could end up being a minor key (1st cameo; voice only) and 10 a first full appearance.

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

cthulhu73 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:08:54 pm "I read it. Because I have read every other Valiant issue from the last 29 years and for no other reason."

Same boat. Rai, however, is very good. Although I wonder if I think that just because the rest of what's left are so bad.
Because of nastalgia is no reason to be suckered into buying trash.
I Miss the good old days.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

nonplayer wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:52:32 pm
cthulhu73 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:08:54 pm "I read it. Because I have read every other Valiant issue from the last 29 years and for no other reason."

Be careful, you might be labeled as a misogynist or bigot or something for this comment. Either be careful to avoid the assigned stigma or just disregard any retort entirely as a lie and continue to embrace the truth in your opinion and buying patterns. :thumb:

But on another note entirely, we've all been suckered into trash buys over nostalgia at one point or another The real test is whether or not you keep succumbing to it.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

IMJ wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:29:42 pm The real test is whether or not you keep succumbing to it.
I have compared my continued buying of Valiant to the lady with black eyes on the tv show Cops bawling over her abusive boyfriend, “But I love him!”

Yep, I keep coming back. Valiant has changed. This time is going to be different. And other lies I tell myself. I am still cool. I could still win a fight if I needed to. I really would have a shot with Megan Hilty if I ever met her.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Chiclo wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:41:53 pm
IMJ wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:29:42 pm The real test is whether or not you keep succumbing to it.
I have compared my continued buying of Valiant to the lady with black eyes on the tv show Cops bawling over her abusive boyfriend, “But I love him!”

Yep, I keep coming back. Valiant has changed. This time is going to be different. And other lies I tell myself. I am still cool. I could still win a fight if I needed to. I really would have a shot with Megan Hilty if I ever met her.
This describes my perpetual buying of Iron Man for.... ohhhh basically since Fractions hideous run on the book. But I buy Iron Man on motor memory at this point. It's not an entire universe and it's not killing me to do it. But there are certain things we do in service of our fandom that one day you wake up and just wash your hands of it.

I think the psychology is similar to how I always say that once I sell something it's gone, I don't back to it and I don't miss it when it's not in front of me anymore. I think secretly I hope that someday I'll go back through the last 12 years of Iron Man and find material that was actually great.... but.... probably not.

The newest book though by Cantwell and CAFU has been terrific for three issues. REALLY good actually. By again, I thought that about the first 6 issues of Gillen's run - it was the best Iron Man I read since the Knauf's were on the book. And then everything after the first arc happened and yeah - it was back to motor memory buying.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

IMJ wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:46:35 pm

This describes my perpetual buying of Iron Man for.... ohhhh basically since Fractions hideous run on the book. But I buy Iron Man on motor memory at this point. It's not an entire universe and it's not killing me to do it. But there are certain things we do in service of our fandom that one day you wake up and just wash your hands of it.
That was my reaction after the One Last Day/Brand New Day storyline in Spider-man. They basically wiped out the history of Spider-man since I started collecting comics as a teenager. I quit reading Spider-man and pretty much everything else by Marvel shortly afterward.

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

kjjohanson wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:12:22 pm
IMJ wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:46:35 pm

That was my reaction after the One Last Day/Brand New Day storyline in Spider-man. They basically wiped out the history of Spider-man since I started collecting comics as a teenager. I quit reading Spider-man and pretty much everything else by Marvel shortly afterward.
Would you believe that OMD pretty much killed my interest in Spider-man and almost comics in general. I still haven't watched the Amazing Spider-man movies because of OMD. The only reason I've seen the new ones is because he's in the MCU and hard to avoid.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

One More Day was a mess, but if it makes the two of you guys feel any better, Iron Man has been "One More Dayd" a few times.

Most notoriously during The Crossing. Then absolutely victimized and vilified in Civil War everywhere but his own title (where the Knauf's handled that mess incredibly well). Then again during Gillen's run where he "reveals" Tony is not actually the son of Howard & Maria Stark, but instead is a space born genetically modified creature supplanted as Howard Stark's son for reason XYZ. All while Howard Stark's real son, "Arno" has been in hiding as a quadriplegic for years. I don't even want to try to summarize the rest of that insidious nonsense of retcon'd crap.

But in any event, trust me when I say that by Iron Man fan standards, you guys had it easy with One More Day. :)

cthulhu73

Post by cthulhu73 »

IMJ wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:29:42 pm
nonplayer wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:52:32 pm

Be careful, you might be labeled as a misogynist or bigot or something for this comment. Either be careful to avoid the assigned stigma or just disregard any retort entirely as a lie and continue to embrace the truth in your opinion and buying patterns. :thumb:

But on another note entirely, we've all been suckered into trash buys over nostalgia at one point or another The real test is whether or not you keep succumbing to it.
That's the whole reason I quit buying Marvel in the 90's, back when Valiant was in its heyday and Marvel was about to almost destroy the industry. Putrid stories with multiple covers and team-ups for no reason. The one that really sticks out in my mind was a team-up with like Spider-Man, Ghost Rider and Venom. EVERY ISSUE was Venom wanting to eat someone's brain. And they dragged one-shot-appropriate stories out to 3-5 issues.

It's almost worse now since they want to get to that five-issue trade paperback length. Looking at you Doctor Tomorrow.

In a later thread someone mentioned retconning. I love all the history from past decades, but now every time I turn around there's another #1 of the same character. I have quit Marvel pretty much entirely now. DC as well, unless I see something neat from my youth like Freedom Fighters, Metal Men, etc. Was excited about the new Legion (my all-time favorite title) series. It has its moments, but it's mostly a mess.