Rai (2020) #8

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Rai (2020) #8

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Been said many times before, but this is the only current title worthy of the Valiant name.

Took me a while to get issues 7&8 so re-read 6 as well to refresh my memory. Abnett’s plan of doing an ‘episode’ per issue has been a great success in this series. Constantly moving the story forward, Rai and Raijin meet new characters pretty much every issue. Here they meet a society of Positronics who have an interesting leader goes by the name ‘Fusion’. But as you’d expect all isn’t as it seems and it turns out that Fusion is the carrier of 2 pieces of offspring and the issue ends on a cliffhanger as he attacks Rai.

Meanwhile a sub story is happening linking Lula with Bloodshot as they hatch a plan to rescue him from within Father. This is nicely interwoven with the main story.

Side note: the preview of XO #2 looks horrific, the art/inking look like they’ve been thrown together in a short space of time which is ironic given how long Valiant have had to put this out.

Rai 4.5/5 - another great issue, if you’re not reading it then you should be :thumb:

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Re: Rai (2020) #8

Post by SwiftMann »

This is good comics. That said I feel like the series has come to a screeching stop momentum-wise. I feel like 7 & 8 should have been a single issue at most. Again, these are good, they just aren't the first five issues great.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246