Savage (2021) #2

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Savage (2021) #2

Post by SwiftMann »

I know the general fanbase here wants "realistic" art, but as a fan of the style, I actually dig the art on this. It may not be everyone's taste, but it's well done.

The writing and story though... Holy hell. This is just insulting to the reader's intelligence. It's insulting to whatever attempted British dialect this is supposed to be.

It feels like they found an extra trash VEI Q&W script lying around and tweaked it to include not-Turok. Even then, that still doesn't excuse the decade-old references - Stargate, Teen Choice Awards, Kid Rock, Solid/Venom Snake, Archer & Armstrong (too soon?)...

How does a publisher manage to only put utter trash on the market?
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: Savage (2021) #2

Post by TheFerg714 »

SwiftMann wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:47:27 pm I know the general fanbase here wants "realistic" art, but as a fan of the style, I actually dig the art on this. It may not be everyone's taste, but it's well done.

The writing and story though... Holy hell. This is just insulting to the reader's intelligence. It's insulting to whatever attempted British dialect this is supposed to be.

It feels like they found an extra trash VEI Q&W script lying around and tweaked it to include not-Turok. Even then, that still doesn't excuse the decade-old references - Stargate, Teen Choice Awards, Kid Rock, Solid/Venom Snake, Archer & Armstrong (too soon?)...

How does a publisher manage to only put utter trash on the market?
I think the art is fine, but it doesn't match the tone of the first mini. VEI set a precedent in which Savage had cartoon-y art (Henry) for most of the story, but realistic art (LaRosa) for the flashforwards. If DMG were smart they would have hired someone like LaRosa, Suayan, or Braithwaite for a few pages.

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I bought this comic because I think it's got a low print run
I Miss the good old days.

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

TheFerg714 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:46:40 amIf DMG were smart they would have hired someone like LaRosa, Suayan, or Braithwaite for a few pages.
Maybe they did and these artists read the script and knew not to throw their talent away.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992

Post by possumgrease »

nonplayer wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:15:12 pm I bought this comic because I think it's got a low print run
You know what else has a low print run? Thousands of other comics you've never heard of and never will again.
And I don't mean that as anything ill towards you. I'm just disappointed that Valiant is effectively over again.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

possumgrease wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:48:01 pm
nonplayer wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:15:12 pm I bought this comic because I think it's got a low print run
You know what else has a low print run? Thousands of other comics you've never heard of and never will again.
And I don't mean that as anything ill towards you. I'm just disappointed that Valiant is effectively over again.
The Acclaim books have low runs, I think some of them have value (maybe). Current era is basically Acclaim 2.0 so maybe there’s a comparison there? :?

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

I expected this series to suck...and it does.

No surprise here.

facepalm

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

TheFerg714 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:46:40 am I think the art is fine, but it doesn't match the tone of the first mini. VEI set a precedent in which Savage had cartoon-y art (Henry) for most of the story, but realistic art (LaRosa) for the flashforwards. If DMG were smart they would have hired someone like LaRosa, Suayan, or Braithwaite for a few pages.
But there's nowhere in this story where a realistic art style would have logically fit in. DMG reminds me of Marvel after the Image artists left in the early 90's, the execs thought the characters were what sold and didn't invest in the creators so then every series had a generic house style.

cthulhu73
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite artist: Not sure

Post by cthulhu73 »

I'm encouraged that he seems to be turning his back on his celebrity. We'll see.