Savage (2021) #4

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Savage (2021) #4

Post by SwiftMann »

The good - The art was generally fun. There was finally some genuine character development and heart at the end.

The bad - The art was sometimes unclear. Didn't realize the brother was the assistant. Still not sure if someone was actually shot. A little less chaotic background detail and more storytelling clarity would have been nice.

I've said it before but this story feels like it was an old VEI Quantum & Woody script with character swaps. And VEI never figured out how to write Q&W. This story was completely pointless and we spent 3.75 issues setting up yet another Valiant duo? And maybe an ongoing thread of dinosaur hunting in DMG's terrible attempt to turn Savage into Turok? Pretty much nothing about all the social media/celeb nonsense of the first issue or two issues meant anything. It was just annoying.

The dialogue is absolutely unbearable. Every character is a one dimensional stereotype for "comedic" purposes. I do not understand why the 90s references have been throughout this series. I should appreciate them, but they don't make sense in the context of the story.

Finally, was anyone rooting for any of these characters at any point? I wasn't. That makes for bad entertainment.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: Savage (2021) #4

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Most satisfying issue of this series especially (reading) the "END!"

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

SwiftMann wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:24:24 pm The bad - The art was sometimes unclear. Didn't realize the brother was the assistant. Still not sure if someone was actually shot. A little less chaotic background detail and more storytelling clarity would have been nice.
:roll:

Oh well....death by sniper dino.

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Yeah. I assumed as much. It just wasn't very well communicated through the art. Or any kind of reactions.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246