The Visitor #6

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
The Visitor #6

Post by SwiftMann »

More of an overall review, but applies to this issue specifically too... Unforgivably clunky story with a very odd artistic choice.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: The Visitor #6

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

The entire mini isn't bad. I don't mind the artwork either. Works for me. But for six issues there's little substance and the most intriguing part is the 2nd epilogue and revelation that one of the Japanese security guys was a clone from Dr. Silk. I didn't seen that coming at all. Of course, we all know nobody could possibly prevent the creation of New Japan. That would have retconned all of Valiant's stories based in 41st century.

The Visitor just feels like a very long introduction to something much bigger....as being forecast in The Fall of Ninjak.

That being said....

"The End is the Beginning."

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:09:59 am the most intriguing part is the 2nd epilogue and revelation that one of the Japanese security guys was a clone from Dr. Silk.
Silk's involvement was revealed last issue.
we all know nobody could possibly prevent the creation of New Japan.
Which is why six issues to just tell a very boring time it got delayed is an odd choice.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

SwiftMann wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:54:15 pm
Sunlight on Snow wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:09:59 am the most intriguing part is the 2nd epilogue and revelation that one of the Japanese security guys was a clone from Dr. Silk.
Silk's involvement was revealed last issue.
Yes, sort of. When that dude mentioned "Dr. Silk will live on" it wasn't directly clear to me he was a "clone".

Maybe, my point is why just show us Dr. Silk on the penultimate page and not much earlier? It's a rather thin plot.....
SwiftMann wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:54:15 pm
Sunlight on Snow wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:09:59 am we all know nobody could possibly prevent the creation of New Japan.
Which is why six issues to just tell a very boring time it got delayed is an odd choice.
.....for about 4 and a half issues which is what I meant with "little substance" and it "just feels like a very long introduction to...."
Last edited by Sunlight on Snow on Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:35:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Wow, what an anti-climatic waste of time!

DMG Valiant want us to read the books but is anyone at Valiant reading the books?

So for some reason (?), Kubo knocks out both Dauber and Akuma and tells them ‘I will let you kill yourself honourably’, but next scene he’s tied them to a rocket and shoots Akuma!?! WTF? :?

Dauber and Akuma give chase in a helicopter which they shoot down presumably murdering an innocent pilot but somehow Kubo survives?

Some of the dialogue was poor and the various epilogues didn’t save the series. Big disappointment from Paul Levitz, I thought with his experience then DMG Valiant might have bucked the trend of selecting below par writers but sadly not.

2/5 for the issue and 2.5/5 for the series. If you haven’t bought this series then don’t bother. :|

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:45:33 pm DMG Valiant want us to read the books
Citation needed.

I think you are making assumptions here. Reasonable assumptions, admittedly. Are we really sure they wanted us to read their books?

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Chiclo wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:18:58 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:45:33 pm DMG Valiant want us to read the books
Citation needed.

I think you are making assumptions here. Reasonable assumptions, admittedly. Are we really sure they wanted us to read their books?
Hmmm …that’s a valid point. Maybe I should have just purchased and put straight into a short box. I might do that for the new Ninjak series …decisions decisions :hm:

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:31:50 pm
Chiclo wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:18:58 pm
Citation needed.

Hmmm …that’s a valid point. Maybe I should have just purchased and put straight into a short box. I might do that for the new Ninjak series …decisions decisions :hm:

I have to admit, the *idea* of the Visitor character, and the covers, appealed to me way more than the content. If I had never actually read them, I could have preserved my pre-disappointment enthusiasm. I should have done that.

Chiclo, I think DMG does want someone reading their books, just not you or me.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?