Ninjak #1(2021) Review

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ComicalOpinions
Magnus, Solar, and Turok
Magnus, Solar, and Turok
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Turok
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: David Michelinie
Favorite artist: Bart Sears
Ninjak #1(2021) Review

Post by ComicalOpinions »

Ninjak #1's biggest surprise is it's complete lack of surprise.

The plot is not terribly original and almost falls into the tropey/cliche category.

The art is the art. If you hate Pulido's style, nothing about this issue will change your mind. If you like Pulido's style, this issue has more of it.

The issue isn't whether or not Pulido is a good artist. The issue is whether or not Pulido's style is a good match for this content. It is not, and that's not Pulido's fault. Valiant knew what they were getting when they hired him.

That's the review in a nutshell. We have a longer review up on our website, but in short, this is not a recommend.

Jrosen
My posts can all fit in a short box
Re: Ninjak #1(2021) Review

Post by Jrosen »

I didn't mind the art, and the story could be interesting. I don't understand the monsters or mutants or whatever at the end of the book. That came completely out of left field and it made no sense. Maybe something from the dead side? I wish Valiant would just stick with some semblance of continuity instead letting the writers just add whatever crap comes to their mind.

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Anyone noticed the start of the story is based on the Assassination of Jamal Khashoggi a few years ago?

The irony here is: Instead of actually taking place behind doors, this scene is set in broad daylight. facepalm

The monsters at the end surprised me too, but it's not like there haven't been any monsters during Matt Kindt's run. I remember a night club called The Zoo and the Shadow Seven, for instance.

The artwork and coloring is kinda crazy!

It feels like Colin's just graduated from Valiant High or Ninjak's version of the Heroscape.

I still enjoyed this more than I had expected. Let's see where the story goes from here.....

Jrosen

Post by Jrosen »

The assassination plot was pretty obvious. I'll have to dig out the end of kindt's run, but if I recall correctly, a lot of that was the ties with darque and deadside. There wasn't any of those references here.

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

The Khassoggi story was a but much, but, yeah, it all happen outside in broad daylight made no sense.

Once we got past that I enjoyed the story and dialogue. I've always been a fan of Parker though.

The art... First, the coloring is an absolutely eyesore. I have a hard time accepting that is a subjective observation. It's terrible. The line work has its moments, bit I do not like the costume design and there are a couple panels where, despite the simplicity, I can't tell what's being conveyed.

While I want to see where the story goes I kept imaging it with other artists.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Err...no, just no!

DMG haven’t earned the right to be this experimental. You don’t follow failure after failure with a new launch of Ninjak with this art/colouring. It beggars belief who’s been allowed to make this decision at Valiant.

Difficult to assess the story with such distracting art, maybe with a better artist it would have read better. Who knows? :?
This style art might work as a stand-alone property, but in the Valiant there’s expectations, I mean Clay Mann once drew this book for god’s sake. facepalm

2/5 - waste of time