Armorclads #2

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Armorclads #2

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Gun to the head I can’t remember much detail about this story as I read it over a week ago but thought I’d post as no one else can be arsed to.

As with issue #1 it was fine, readable stuff but I’m only picking it up as it’s Valiant. Same story with an image logo and I’m not bothering. I assume at some point it’ll link the Valiant universe but they’ll need better writers to take advantage of new characters and make it impactful.

I think it also helps that the book has new characters so can’t be ruined in the same way the established characters are being ruined by sub standard writers elsewhere in the Valiant U.

3/5 - readable

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Re: Armorclads #2

Post by Ryan »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:58:51 am Gun to the head I can’t remember much detail about this story as I read it over a week ago but thought I’d post as no one else can be arsed to.

As with issue #1 it was fine, readable stuff but I’m only picking it up as it’s Valiant. Same story with an image logo and I’m not bothering. I assume at some point it’ll link the Valiant universe but they’ll need better writers to take advantage of new characters and make it impactful.

I think it also helps that the book has new characters so can’t be ruined in the same way the established characters are being ruined by sub standard writers elsewhere in the Valiant U.

3/5 - readable
It's so weird to me. What's one of the least remembered and least cared about VALIANT franchises? The Armorines (even though it got a video game). But no let's not even do that, let's do something called Armorclads. :? Baffling

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Ryan wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:18:33 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:58:51 am Gun to the head I can’t remember much detail about this story as I read it over a week ago but thought I’d post as no one else can be arsed to.

3/5 - readable
It's so weird to me. What's one of the least remembered and least cared about VALIANT franchises? The Armorines (even though it got a video game). But no let's not even do that, let's do something called Armorclads. :? Baffling
Yeah Armorines we’re never the strongest characters. The character redesign during Vditti’s XO run was really poor. From memory I think the Armorine related issues were my least favourite of Vditti’s great run.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:54:41 pm

3/5 - readable
Yeah Armorines we’re never the strongest characters. The character redesign during Vditti’s XO run was really poor. From memory I think the Armorine related issues were my least favourite of Vditti’s great run.
Have to check the redesign out. Layton seemed to have a thing for super teams that wore the same costume, like a sports team or something. I remember liking the Calafiore art at the time, but man those were forgettable.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Ryan wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:34:23 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:54:41 pm

3/5 - readable
Have to check the redesign out. Layton seemed to have a thing for super teams that wore the same costume, like a sports team or something. I remember liking the Calafiore art at the time, but man those were forgettable.
In the VEI run it was 3 different garrishly coloured suits from memory. Phoned in by whoever designed it.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:00:20 pm In the VEI run it was 3 different garrishly coloured suits from memory. Phoned in by whoever designed it.
I'm sure whoever designed it could care less about the Armorines, just like 98% of the VALIANT fans could care less about the Armorines. This is something that's always bothered me about VEI (and still does). There's no need to revive things just because they exist.

I've been a member of the fandom since the beginning (Magnus #4) and in all the years between 1991 and 2012 I never saw one hardcore Ninjak fan. Casual comic fans have heard of Ninjak because Joe Quesada was hot at that time, but there was no one clamoring for more Ninjak, and yet he became a prominent character all the sudden.

Same with Armorines, Dr. Mirage, Secret Weapons, Psi-Lords, etc, those characters just never developed any kind of a fanbase. They were rushed out extraneous bloat added to push up the short term value before selling the company (IMO).

Not that a good take on Ninjak and Armorines couldn't be done. I'm just saying those characters had never struck a chord and no one was missing them. :?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Ryan wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:38:41 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:00:20 pm In the VEI run it was 3 different garrishly coloured suits from memory. Phoned in by whoever designed it.
I'm sure whoever designed it could care less about the Armorines, just like 98% of the VALIANT fans could care less about the Armorines. This is something that's always bothered me about VEI (and still does). There's no need to revive things just because they exist.

I've been a member of the fandom since the beginning (Magnus #4) and in all the years between 1991 and 2012 I never saw one hardcore Ninjak fan. Casual comic fans have heard of Ninjak because Joe Quesada was hot at that time, but there was no one clamoring for more Ninjak, and yet he became a prominent character all the sudden.

Same with Armorines, Dr. Mirage, Secret Weapons, Psi-Lords, etc, those characters just never developed any kind of a fanbase. They were rushed out extraneous bloat added to push up the short term value before selling the company (IMO).

Not that a good take on Ninjak and Armorines couldn't be done. I'm just saying those characters had never struck a chord and no one was missing them. :?
Let’s not even start on DMG’s unbelievably bad version of Psi-Lords… facepalm

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:11:44 pm
Ryan wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:38:41 pm

Let’s not even start on DMG’s unbelievably bad version of Psi-Lords… facepalm
:lol: :lol: wish I could erase those memory cells

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

To be fair, the colouring on Psi-Lords and their costume designs were so garish so that the Valiant Vision would work.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Chiclo wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:11:28 pm
To be fair, the colouring on Psi-Lords and their costume designs were so garish so that the Valiant Vision would work.
:lol: that could permanently damage your eyes though