Armorclads #3

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Armorclads #3

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Another ok issue.

The enslaved genetically engineered workers with the Ironclad suits use left over armour from last issue’s battle to modify their suits to have ‘badass’ weaponry. They then set off to raise an army of other Ironclads so they can rescue their leader Peris who has been taken by the bad guys.

Meanwhile, new character Governor Dohman (could be a good or bad guy but he’s got them now obligatory facial scar as many in the Valiant U have). This part gets a bit more interesting. Dohman is searching for 7 mythical ‘Lost Suits’ and the captured Peris is a 94% match for something or other. These ‘lost suits’ were create by ancient dynasties and can be used for good but the dynasties destroyed each other through greed and lust for power. Peris doesn’t believe these suits exists, however Dohman has a piece of one! :o

I’m hoping these ‘lost suits’ somehow tie back to the Valiant U otherwise what is the point of this series. :?

3.5/5 - read it, you might as well what else are you doing with your time, waiting to catch monkeypox?!

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Re: Armorclads #3

Post by SwiftMann »

Yeah, this is just a big barrel of trading-water-fine.

It's really so much what's the point? Right in line with Armorines or Secret Weapons (the new team) or HARDCorps or Psi-Lords. Just a cast of interchangeable nobodies in similar outfits. But now we have our journey quest, I guess.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

SwiftMann wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:11:31 am Yeah, this is just a big barrel of trading-water-fine.

It's really so much what's the point? Right in line with Armorines or Secret Weapons (the new team) or HARDCorps or Psi-Lords. Just a cast of interchangeable nobodies in similar outfits. But now we have our journey quest, I guess.
I like your summary better :lol: I wanna be optimistic for Valiant but it’s hard to get pumped without Dinesh at the helm hyping the books and instilling confidence that there’s a long term plan where everything ‘fits’ together.

But, Armorclads isn’t offensively bad so I’ll stick with it and hope for the best.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

SwiftMann wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:11:31 am Yeah, this is just a big barrel of trading-water-fine.

Actually you raise a good point here about the cast of interchangeable nobodies. Contrast that with how Josh Dysart introduced the Harbinger team so we knew enough about each character to care about the story. That’s what’s lacking from this story, I had to go back to the hook 5 minutes after reading it as I couldn’t remember the name of the main character!

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Oh I couldn't tell you a name or codename for any character in this book. But I couldn't do that for other new world books like New Masters or We Live either. I'm just getting old that way.

And to be fair, the genericness of it all is on par with the books I mentioned but this is definitely better than those books. I mean, this one is readable.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

SwiftMann wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:24:59 pm Oh I couldn't tell you a name or codename for any character in this book. But I couldn't do that for other new world books like New Masters or We Live either. I'm just getting old that way.

And to be fair, the genericness of it all is on par with the books I mentioned but this is definitely better than those books. I mean, this one is readable.
I don't think it's just that you're getting old. I think it's part of the craft of action/adventure comics that's being lost. Go read a comic from the 70s/80s of characters you're not familiar with and there's a genuine effort to (seemlessly) convey all the relevant information while making the story exciting. Now creators think their 'art' is so great they don't need to do those things.