The Harbinger #5

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
The Harbinger #5

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I picked up issues 2,4 and 5 cheap (read #1 when it came out), wow this is bad! :o

Tedious, convoluted story about Peter Stancheck splitting into 2 (one good one evil obvs) who is now living in a ‘psiot zone’ which I imagine writers Kelly/Lanzig intend to be the equivalent to Antifas autonomous zones set up in American cities to keep the ‘fascist cops’ out (yaaaawwwwn). The evil Peter (the renegade?) is activating psiots for some reason or another etc etc

Mind bogglingly bad characters and nonsensical character names, with the crème of the crop being a character called ‘Young Ago’!?! Imagine the dialogue with the words ‘young ago’ in them and how confusing that is to read. But it gets worse as they abbreviate his name to ‘ago’ so anytime he’s mentioned it you have to re-read the dialogue to try and make sense at it reads like a typo!

Other character names include ‘the Badge’, ‘Blam’ and ‘Overwatch’ all with character designs which look like were the contest winners of under 12’s art competition with the first prize of seeing your character in an actual professional comic book sold for actual money.

My favourite of all is the group names, we have:

The Culture
The Warning
The Device
:lol:

As for the art, it’s a massive drop down from what we’ve had in the past and the colouring makes it feel like reading a bucket of vomit.

The only positive thing I can say is that they’ve at least attempted to bring in elements of continuity, albeit it not very skilfully with one panel just photoshopping covers of when Harbinger was good to remind us how far it’s fallen.

2/5

syzhang28
Re: The Harbinger #5

Post by syzhang28 »

Curious, why 2 stars? Why not 1 with that review?

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

syzhang28 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:17:09 am Curious, why 2 stars? Why not 1 with that review?
Fair question. I think I went with 2/5 because the writers at least used continuity in the story and also because DMG have released even worse books (eg Bloodshot and Ninjak) so by default this was a 2!

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:25:56 am I picked up issues 2,4 and 5 cheap (read #1 when it came out), wow this is bad! :o

Tedious, convoluted story about Peter Stancheck splitting into 2 (one good one evil obvs) who is now living in a ‘psiot zone’ which I imagine writers Kelly/Lanzig intend to be the equivalent to Antifas autonomous zones set up in American cities to keep the ‘fascist cops’ out (yaaaawwwwn). The evil Peter (the renegade?) is activating psiots for some reason or another etc etc

Mind bogglingly bad characters and nonsensical character names, with the crème of the crop being a character called ‘Young Ago’!?! Imagine the dialogue with the words ‘young ago’ in them and how confusing that is to read. But it gets worse as they abbreviate his name to ‘ago’ so anytime he’s mentioned it you have to re-read the dialogue to try and make sense at it reads like a typo!

Other character names include ‘the Badge’, ‘Blam’ and ‘Overwatch’ all with character designs which look like were the contest winners of under 12’s art competition with the first prize of seeing your character in an actual professional comic book sold for actual money.

My favourite of all is the group names, we have:

The Culture
The Warning
The Device
:lol:

As for the art, it’s a massive drop down from what we’ve had in the past and the colouring makes it feel like reading a bucket of vomit.

The only positive thing I can say is that they’ve at least attempted to bring in elements of continuity, albeit it not very skilfully with one panel just photoshopping covers of when Harbinger was good to remind us how far it’s fallen.

2/5
I enjoyed reading this review at least. It's sad that these characters keep getting pushed farther into obscurity with every poor release.