Archer & Armstrong Forever #2

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Archer & Armstrong Forever #2

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Overall this issue was fine, nothing spectacular, but readable. Archer takes Armstrong around the world looking for a cure to return his immortality. Only a few panels spent at each location so the story moved along at a good pace. New character ‘the Maw’ looks visually interesting, hopefully a good addition to the Valiant U.

A couple of positives from this series which hopefully indicate a larger trend.

1. Lots of references to previous continuity
2. A more ‘traditional’ art style. Solid enough, appropriate for this tons of book. No zany colours or weird styles (ala Harbinger and Ninjak from 2022).

My question is, where’s all the reviews from people who have A&A as their avatar?? :?

3/5 - acceptable

Benny_Decker
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Re: Archer & Armstrong Forever #2

Post by Benny_Decker »

I don't have A&A as my avatar, but I did make a review video of the issue:

https://youtu.be/tPD7smNB8uA

I am loving A&A: Forever! It feels very connected to Fred Van Lente's run. Its got continuity, good action, and strong character voices. Definitely my favorite book on the stands!
Check out my Valiant YouTube channel called Valiant Victories: https://youtube.com/channel/UCap3ihoc_p22e3pogjO_znw

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Benny_Decker wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:20:52 am I don't have A&A as my avatar, but I did make a review video of the issue:

I am loving A&A: Forever! It feels very connected to Fred Van Lente's run. Its got continuity, good action, and strong character voices. Definitely my favorite book on the stands!
Yeah I think this series is consistent with previous series so if you like them then you’ll like this.

That being said, if this is your favourite book in the stands then you must be reading a murderers row of bad books? What are you comparing it against?

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

Although I don't think it reaches the highs of BWS and Van Lente's runs, it's leagues better than Roberts' run (still haven't gotten around to Baron's run).
Unlike most DMG series, this one actually feels like the A&A of old. It's not blowing my mind or anything, but it's really fun.
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:48:22 pm That being said, if this is your favourite book in the stands then you must be reading a murderers row of bad books? What are you comparing it against?
Yea, I have to agree. I'm enjoying this series, but I'm pulling like 15 other series that are so much better right now.

Benny_Decker

Post by Benny_Decker »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:48:22 pm
Benny_Decker wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:20:52 am I don't have A&A as my avatar, but I did make a review video of the issue:

Yeah I think this series is consistent with previous series so if you like them then you’ll like this.

That being said, if this is your favourite book in the stands then you must be reading a murderers row of bad books? What are you comparing it against?
I said that it's my FAVORITE book, not that it's the "best" book on the shelves. A&A are my favorite Valiant characters and Van Lente's work was my first exposure to Valiant. "Forever" gives me similar vibes to a series that I love. I'm sure there are "better" books, but I am the most excited to read this one. You might think of it like your favorite meal. Is that meal the BEST FOOD, quality ingredients, prepared by a professional chef? It could be, but it's likely something that you have fond memories of enjoying. You can judge my taste if you like, but I enjoy what I read. If you don't enjoy reading Valiant comics anymore then why are you reading them?
Check out my Valiant YouTube channel called Valiant Victories: https://youtube.com/channel/UCap3ihoc_p22e3pogjO_znw

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Benny_Decker wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:29:24 pm [If you don't enjoy reading Valiant comics anymore then why are you reading them?
Valid point with the meal analogy!

To answer your question on why I still read Valiant, I’m ever the optimist that someone, somewhere will turn things around. Already said elsewhere that I’m optimistic for new XO and Bloodshot series later this year.

Or maybe I’m like the captain who goes down with the ship whilst the orchestra plays ! :? :P

Benny_Decker

Post by Benny_Decker »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:18:56 pm
Benny_Decker wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:29:24 pm [If you don't enjoy reading Valiant comics anymore then why are you reading them?

To answer your question on why I still read Valiant, I’m ever the optimist that someone, somewhere will turn things around. Already said elsewhere that I’m optimistic for new XO and Bloodshot series later this year.

Or maybe I’m like the captain who goes down with the ship whilst the orchestra plays ! :? :P
Honestly, the reason why I started making videos was because I thought that Valiant has started "turning things around" and I wanted to do my part to help spread the word and share the love. The fact that you are still reading and posting shows that you care too :high-five:

I was VERY lucky to get my hands on the ashcan for Bloodshot Unleashed #1. I'm going to stay vague about the details, but this series is off to a GREAT start! I hope you, and any other recently underwhelmed fans, also enjoy it! (I made a video about that too: https://youtu.be/OGDsU_L4p8E )

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Benny_Decker wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:59:35 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:18:56 pm

Honestly, the reason why I started making videos was because I thought that Valiant has started "turning things around" and I wanted to do my part to help spread the word and share the love. The fact that you are still reading and posting shows that you care too :high-five:

I was VERY lucky to get my hands on the ashcan for Bloodshot Unleashed #1. I'm going to stay vague about the details, but this series is off to a GREAT start! I hope you, and any other recently underwhelmed fans, also enjoy it! (I made a video about that too: https://youtu.be/OGDsU_L4p8E )
Cool, will check out your video :thumb: