The I.M.J. Collection

Users can share photos of their OTHER (non-Valiant) collections, your own museum for everyone to tour. No comments allowed by visitors in the gallery threads, just your own space to show and describe your own collection. Free admission for everyone to "The Other Gallery".

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
The I.M.J. Collection

Post by IMJ »

It's been a while since I shared my collection with the board members, and I thought I’d give an update here. My collection has been on a bit of a hold for a while now, in part due to the fact that my interest in expanding it comes and goes. But, that’s the nice part of a collection – you can put it down and come back to it at a point when you are so inclined.

A few notes on the current display:

Some of you may remember my older shots, noticing some differences or additions here and there. I added some shelving and cases, and it's a bit more organized now, although this is still a developing project.

This display also won’t be like this much longer, as it will be changing locations soon, which is in part why….

...I don’t have everything pictured. As a matter of fact, I might actually be at a point where I have more in storage in many totes than I have on display. I’ve also got a display built into the closet of this den, but that’s not in picture-taking-shape at the moment.

Of course, the real heart of this collection is the comics. I recently bought several of the great BCW Drawer Boxes. These things are very rigid and are magnificent space savers as well. I’ll get pictures of those up as I overhaul the closet.

I hope these pictures are fun to look at both at a glance, and also to sit and stare at in detail. Some things that are displayed, but not pictured are two micro cases set inbetween the helmets that contain some great stuff, and also a neat gathering of Iron Man plush related stuff in the corner. There are also several posters, color guides and pieces of original art, as well as hundreds of cards that aren’t pictured here…. yet.

Enjoy, Iron Fans.

Primary Statue Case – eventually I’ll add two more “balance” pieces and another case

Some of the Sideshow Stuff

This is an example using the Sideshow cabinet to demonstrate how this collection is lit here and there for the occasional low-light display.

It's hard to picture, but there's a pretty cool 3-D Crystal Inscribed Iron Man hologram that I keep next to the Sideshow Comiquette as well

Milestones

Some busts, mini helmets and other stuff. Mini-Mates are on top in their own wall mounted case

Iron Man Mini Busts – Updated and rearranged to include the NYCC Exclusive Silver Age bust

Some helmets. I used to have these on a cruddy table, but some cheap-o bookshelves really dressed this wall up a bit

Part of the Armory Wall

The Armory

Some Villain stuff

I call this the “PVC Case”, but really it’s just for any micro stuff ranging from PVCs to the great U.K. Marvel Classic Figurine Collection pieces

As I get to some more organizing and moving, I’ll add pictures here and there. I hope that this was fun for everyone to see because truly a big part of collecting is having others enjoy the spectacle along with you.
Last edited by IMJ on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:19:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I updated the images in the original post to show the rearrangement of my bust shelf to include the recently received NYCC Silver Age Proto Armor bust.
Here is a crummy closeup

This Silver Age bust is great and it goes a long way to demonstrate how much a good paint job means to a statue. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, this Silver Age bust from the NYCC is a Diamond recast of the classic armor bust that was packaged with the Marvel Animated Movies set (pictured on right) exclusive to Best Buy a couple of years back.

While a neat piece, the Diamond Classic armor bust had a relatively cheapo, barely glossy paint job. The Silver Age bust - a near recast of the Classic Armor, has a fantastic ultra-glossy paint job that is more reflective than some Bowen pieces, and has gold armor paint rather than yellow. It goes a long way to dressing this mold up, and really makes a neat companion piece to the Classic armor from that DVD boxed set.
:thumb: