Adventures in Marvel Unlimited

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Adventures in Marvel Unlimited

Post by lorddunlow »

So, I'm not out on Valiant yet. I caught up some, but can't get into it lately. Meanwhile, I've decided to read some old X-Men.

I thought about reading from the beginning, but I wasn't in the mood for Silver Age stuff. So, I decided to start with Claremont. When I started reading Giant Size X-Men, I realized I should probably read Hulk 180-182, so I pulled that up in the app. So far, I've really enjoyed this read through. I had never read any of these. Always loved X-Men due to the 90s TV show and I read a lot of the Jim Lee X-Men.

It's slow to start and still firmly in the old school Marvel kitsch, but I'm looking forward to all the well known story lines. Cool to experience it from the beginning.

Marvel Unlimited is amazing. They have almost everything now. There is a huge gap in New Mutants after #42, so I'm hoping by the time I get there in my reading that it will have the rest.

The great thing about it is if I decide to read backstory, I can just pull up the issue in question. Pretty cool.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA
Re: Adventures in Marvel Unlimited

Post by chriskay99 »

I bought a 1-year subscription as a birthday gift to myself and it's fantastic. I really didn't know where to start so I went back to one of my first comics - Avengers 304. Then I got sidetracked with how the Heroes Reborn with Liefeld went (spoiler alert - it sucks!) then got sidetracked with Age of Apocalypse then finally settled into Remender's Uncanny Avengers which has led me right into Axis.

It's great. Well worth the money. A little overwhelming bc there's so much content on there. But it's easy to follow characters or crossovers or creators. I think it's a well designed app. I want to read a lot of the way old stuff but I need to find out how some recent storylines resolved.
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

i love unlimited. the best part for me was finally reading books i've wanted to read for ever. then realizing they sucked and being glad i saved the money. :lol:

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

I really love this app. I have had it for over a year and I have no plans of ending it in the forseeable future.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

What is the annual membership fee at for this service? :hm:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

grendeljd wrote:What is the annual membership fee at for this service? :hm:
$9.99 a month but I signed up for a year at $69. They also have an Unlimited Plus offer where you get like an exclusive action figure and some other stuff.

I think they're about 6 months behind what's in store. That's the time lag I've heard but I don't know for sure.
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

chriskay99 wrote:
$9.99 a month but I signed up for a year at $69. They also have an Unlimited Plus offer where you get like an exclusive action figure and some other stuff.

I think they're about 6 months behind what's in store. That's the time lag I've heard but I don't know for sure.
Thanks for the info - I'm more interested in the farther-back catalog than recent material, but I'm sure I'd get hooked on catching up if I join up. I have only read maybe a half-dozen new Marvel comics in the last 4 years or so. Who here has had an account for a number of years? I'm curious about seeing approximately what kind of rate of increase is happening with the annual cost.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
chriskay99 wrote:

Thanks for the info - I'm more interested in the farther-back catalog than recent material, but I'm sure I'd get hooked on catching up if I join up. I have only read maybe a half-dozen new Marvel comics in the last 4 years or so. Who here has had an account for a number of years? I'm curious about seeing approximately what kind of rate of increase is happening with the annual cost.
I'll be renewing for my 3rd year in August and it has been $69/year each year. I actually spring the extra $30 for the figure just because it's fun.

Almost everything is on the app. There are some weird gaps, but for the most part almost all the silver age stuff is on there. It's actually 90s issues that are missing in general.

The app used to suck royally, but it is pretty great now. The only negative I have for the app is if you don't have data connection, you can only store 12 (I think) issues on the device.

You can also browse by event and it flows each book in the event in the intended order.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.