DC Comics Relaunching Everything In June

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012
Re: DC Comics Relaunching Everything In June

Post by ShadowTuga »

I don't know what is it, really. Renumbering, absolutely. Event, hellyeah! But it is not a reboot, or at least I don't feel like it is. More the opposite. An event that is the natural continuation of the Crisis and Flashpoint stories, without the heavy reading and the lack of joy.
It is a very optimistic book, this one-shot. It does feel DC, due to the legacy factor being up-front and the two year plan is intriguing.

They got my attention. I just hope I don't get screwed with the new books as I was with some of the "jewels" of Nu52 DC.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by nutflush76 »

I've read Rebirth #1 and patiently await my DCBS order to read the Rebirth titles. (ordered the rebirth bundle but it doesn't come with Rebirth #1!?! what the *SQUEE* ?) It sure seems like DC has hit a homerun with this rebirth.

My books should get here on Tuesday and then I will basically be catching up on Rebirth for a week or so!

Anybody impressed with the other #1s? Or is all this hype just internet chatter?

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

I really don't want to jump back into DC like I did with the Nu52, but the urge to follow along with this Watchmen storyline is strong. I wonder if reading just some of the "main" titles would be sufficient? Of course, then the question is what are the "main" titles?
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

nutflush76 wrote:I've read Rebirth #1 and patiently await my DCBS order to read the Rebirth titles. (ordered the rebirth bundle but it doesn't come with Rebirth #1!?! what the *SQUEE* ?) It sure seems like DC has hit a homerun with this rebirth.

My books should get here on Tuesday and then I will basically be catching up on Rebirth for a week or so!

Anybody impressed with the other #1s? Or is all this hype just internet chatter?
I enjoyed the Wonder Woman one, goes essentially in the direction I knew that Ruka was going to go. The Superman ones are pretty good and apparently everyones flipping for Green Arrow.
Keith wrote:I really don't want to jump back into DC like I did with the Nu52, but the urge to follow along with this Watchmen storyline is strong. I wonder if reading just some of the "main" titles would be sufficient? Of course, then the question is what are the "main" titles?
Apparently Rebirth runs for at least 2 years. If you want to follow somewhat of a story, Flash and most likely Titans are the best ones to keep an eye on.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Got my Rebirth books today, will read them tomorrow since tonight was Valiant catch-up time. 8-)
All I can say is that, save for a couple of issues, everything was gone from my LCS today, and they only received the books yesterday. Huge success.
Sadly, I could not get a copy of Titans or Nightwing. :!: Guess I will wait for the tpbs.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

I haven't read DC in years, but decided to give Rebirth a try due to some cheap online bundle offerings. So far, I've enjoyed the superman titles the most, followed closely by batman and flash. Very curious to know what the slow burn will be on the reveal of what we all know has been revealed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

I read this Rebirth one-shot.

It was ok. It felt a bit like watching a magician perform and I knew how he did all of his tricks.

There is a way this could all go down though that would be incredible. It won't go that way though.

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Dr. Solar wrote:I read this Rebirth one-shot.

It was ok. It felt a bit like watching a magician perform and I knew how he did all of his tricks.

There is a way this could all go down though that would be incredible. It won't go that way though.
Don't tease, Tito -- Let's hear it. :thumb:
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

whovian
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter

Post by whovian »

I've finished the June batch and have dipped into July. I must say there's not a bad book in the bunch, can't even say that for Valiant. I haven't enjoyed DC this much since The Eighties! Glad I jumped in, and I plan to stick around for the foreseeable future.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

whovian wrote:I've finished the June batch and have dipped into July. I must say there's not a bad book in the bunch, can't even say that for Valiant. I haven't enjoyed DC this much since The Eighties! Glad I jumped in, and I plan to stick around for the foreseeable future.

Don't quite see how they did it but DC has really turned the books around

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

I know we follow Valiants sales pretty close on this board but you have to give around of applause for DC as of late. They're kinda whooping Marvel right now.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/09/16/ ... -of-sales/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.

Post by Tim »

dornwolf wrote:
whovian wrote:I've finished the June batch and have dipped into July. I must say there's not a bad book in the bunch, can't even say that for Valiant. I haven't enjoyed DC this much since The Eighties! Glad I jumped in, and I plan to stick around for the foreseeable future.

Yeah, I don't know either. How they can go from course correct from sucking so hard to putting out the best books on the damned stands is beyond me, but they're doing it month after month. I'm reading all the Superman and Batman titles, Wonder Woman, Titans, Flash, Justice League and Aquaman and they've all been home runs. Next month I'm adding the Green Lantern titles, Cyborg, Blue Beetle, Nightwing and Teen Titans. :hope: Haven't enjoyed tearing open my DCBS box in YEARS!

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Tim wrote:
dornwolf wrote:

Yeah, I don't know either. How they can go from course correct from sucking so hard to putting out the best books on the damned stands is beyond me, but they're doing it month after month. I'm reading all the Superman and Batman titles, Wonder Woman, Titans, Flash, Justice League and Aquaman and they've all been home runs. Next month I'm adding the Green Lantern titles, Cyborg, Blue Beetle, Nightwing and Teen Titans. :hope: Haven't enjoyed tearing open my DCBS box in YEARS!
Because they stopped having all their books be about brooding grimdark sourpusses where hope and optimism are but gone, to a universe where they can have the brooding grimdark sourpusses but also they now have heroes who have hope and optimism again. The only thing I don't like is all of the damn bi-weekly books that is killing my wallet.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Tim

Post by Tim »

Cyberstrike wrote:
Tim wrote:
dornwolf wrote:

Because they stopped having all their books be about brooding grimdark sourpusses where hope and optimism are but gone, to a universe where they can have the brooding grimdark sourpusses but also they now have heroes who have hope and optimism again. The only thing I don't like is all of the damn bi-weekly books that is killing my wallet.
Agreed totally. I think it's amazing that they've shown that even Batman can be a dark, but hopeful character. Sure, he's marked by tragedy and lives and works in a dangerous world, but his war is about making things better and working toward something brighter. I've never been the least bit interested in Batman as a character because of the dark and grim outlook the title has had since I can remember, but both James Tynion and Tom King are bringing a Batman to the table that I can really get into and root for. Not the Punisher with a cape and cowl.

But, yeah, the biweekly books are getting expensive, but they're so good that I'm not complaining too much.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

New Batwoman ongoing to join the Rebirth line.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... 38024679=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will tradewait this, for sure- BUT that's only due to budget reasons. Too many comics, with all the double shipping.

KK has really been amazing in this new era of DC ('Tec is a really great Batman book, right now) and I sure want to read more of her. Plus, we have a writer that apparently loves Elegy as much as the next bat-fan.
Alright, DC! :thumb:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

ShadowTuga wrote:New Batwoman ongoing to join the Rebirth line.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... 38024679=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will tradewait this, for sure- BUT that's only due to budget reasons. Too many comics, with all the double shipping.

KK has really been amazing in this new era of DC ('Tec is a really great Batman book, right now) and I sure want to read more of her. Plus, we have a writer that apparently loves Elegy as much as the next bat-fan.
Alright, DC! :thumb:
A new Batwoman series with Marguerite Bennett and Steve Epting! I am sold!
I think that Marguerite Bennett + Batwoman is a perfect match of writer and character. I feel this is a chance for Bennett to show what she can really do and shine. Go check out her work on DC Comics: Bombshells and Insexts both of which are awesome series.

The only other character she could even better for would be Wonder Woman and she would be my first pick to follow after Greg Rucka leaves (whenever that is) but whoever that writer will be they are going to have some very big boots to fill because Rucka's current run is easily one of the greatest runs on Wonder Woman in years!
Last edited by Cyberstrike on Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:01:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Tim

Post by Tim »

Wonder Woman is the best I ever remember it being and there have been some pretty great runs. The storyline that takes place in the presents is dragging a bit, but the story set in the past is great comics.

I already said that the Superman, Batman, Flash, Titans, Wonder Woman and Justice League books are better than they've been in decades, but having started reading Aquaman, the Green Lantern titles and Cyborg from their beginnings, I have to say that they are just as good.

Make Mine DC!!!

(at least for the moment....)

Psiot X
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Rafa Sandoval

Post by Psiot X »

DC has been pretty strong since the relaunch while Marvel (at least to me) has turned into the industry semi solid turd slowly swirling in the bowel and fouling the water as the flusher is broken... They will still get the awards as a political feel good though (remember what happened to Valiant a year or two back at some unnamed site when the review ratings showed they made the best books while the same reviewers gave the end of year awards to the SJW crowd with the low rated books.) Marvels suck is now showing in sales too. I have been angry with the current state of some of my former favorite Marvel titles where with DC I am looking at things I had written off years ago once more.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Yeah, right now I'm reading exactly one Marvel book, which is Ultimates, a great book. Tremendous writing, and tremendous art WHEN they can get the main artist, Kenneth Rocafort, to finish a book. They've had him splitting pencilling duties with some horrible artist who is so bad that it's jarring when you get to his pages and makes for a pretty lame reading experience.

I'm trying their new "America" series because Miss America Chavez has been one of my favorite characters in the Ultimates book and I can see a lot of potential for her in the future.

Trying teh new Thanos series because Thanos.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

I think Marvel Comics is testing the waters for Marvel Studios with all of the gender flipping and race switching characters they've done recently. They know RDJ, Chris Evans, and Chris Hemsworth won't be able to be Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor forever and IIRC Evans has already said that he plans on doing other films after his deal after the next Avengers film is done and really isn't interested in making another Captain America solo movie. I think he's already directed a low budget indy rom-com and Hemsworth was pretty damn funny in The Ghostbusters reboot film and should try a comedy (since his attempts to be an action movie star keeps hitting a brick wall) and RDJ can pretty much do anything. At some point money and age will start becoming a factor with these guys and they will have to recast them added to the mix is changing demographics in America with more minorities becoming a bigger financial target and there are more movie theaters in China than in the US so maybe for "the SJW pandering" crap that Marvel and Disney gets accused of, MAYBE they are simply playing the long game and know that if want their properties can survive in a changing world.

While I think DC can use a few more minority superheroes in their canon as well and since they're constantly going to use the multiverse concept then should do it that way.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Cyberstrike wrote:I think Marvel Comics is testing the waters for Marvel Studios with all of the gender flipping and race switching characters they've done recently. They know RDJ, Chris Evans, and Chris Hemsworth won't be able to be Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor forever and IIRC Evans has already said that he plans on doing other films after his deal after the next Avengers film is done and really isn't interested in making another Captain America solo movie. I think he's already directed a low budget indy rom-com and Hemsworth was pretty damn funny in The Ghostbusters reboot film and should try a comedy (since his attempts to be an action movie star keeps hitting a brick wall) and RDJ can pretty much do anything. At some point money and age will start becoming a factor with these guys and they will have to recast them added to the mix is changing demographics in America with more minorities becoming a bigger financial target and there are more movie theaters in China than in the US so maybe for "the SJW pandering" crap that Marvel and Disney gets accused of, MAYBE they are simply playing the long game and know that if want their properties can survive in a changing world.

While I think DC can use a few more minority superheroes in their canon as well and since they're constantly going to use the multiverse concept then should do it that way.
I've seen this theory floating around before and I will go to Batman as my argument. For so many people the guy under the mask is just as important as the mask. While people enjoyed Dark Knight Rises I can't picture anyone being all that excited to follow Joseph Gordon Lovett as Batman. Because he's not Batman. His character isn't Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne is Batman not anyone else. Not saying they can't try it, there movie after all, but I just can't see it working. Specially with some of the random *SQUEE* things they're doing like Dr.Doom as Iron Man

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

Cyberstrike wrote:I think Marvel Comics is testing the waters for Marvel Studios with all of the gender flipping and race switching characters they've done recently. They know RDJ, Chris Evans, and Chris Hemsworth won't be able to be Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor forever and IIRC Evans has already said that he plans on doing other films after his deal after the next Avengers film is done and really isn't interested in making another Captain America solo movie. I think he's already directed a low budget indy rom-com and Hemsworth was pretty damn funny in The Ghostbusters reboot film and should try a comedy (since his attempts to be an action movie star keeps hitting a brick wall) and RDJ can pretty much do anything. At some point money and age will start becoming a factor with these guys and they will have to recast them added to the mix is changing demographics in America with more minorities becoming a bigger financial target and there are more movie theaters in China than in the US so maybe for "the SJW pandering" crap that Marvel and Disney gets accused of, MAYBE they are simply playing the long game and know that if want their properties can survive in a changing world.

i think they are just indulging themselves. Outside of certain elite circles people don't care about the color of superheroes. I hope they let some characters bite the bullet and they get replaced by other characters. The movie audience is not as conservatives as comic readers. I bet they can get away with it.

Psiot X
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Rafa Sandoval

Post by Psiot X »

I will say that as an older reader there is a certain comfort and affirmation in not reading Iron Man for fifteen years and then picking up a book today to find what our old favorite Tony Stark is up to. Comic books themselves have taught us that the characters are timeless. They don't age and seem to change only enough to meet the times they are printed in. It's the same character you loved on a new adventure. It's part of why I find legacy to be a myth and that swapping hammer, ring, armor, X around is foolish. In truth you have made that hammer, ring, armor et al the main character of your book while making the person dispensable. That doesn't work out in the end. Ever. It takes years to interest people in a new character enough to accept them and buy into them long term in your stable to have books centered around them. You might get some short term pluses with a swap but in the end its a screw job. People want the original back and forget the other person or junk that went away from the core of what made the character successful in the first place.

It's part of why I feel Rebirth is so successful and Civil War makes the Marvel U look like its falling apart in quality and sales. You just can't slap a mantle on some one and expect people to care. Amadeus Cho can be interesting but they failed to make him unique in his own right for example. He isn't the Hulk. He is just another wannabe tolerated while we wait for the real thing to come back and start reading something else.

We got real Superman. We got real Batman. With all their cool history and interesting bits that made us care. Over there we got some kangaroo hopping around in some one else's clothes pretending to be the original.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Psiot X wrote:I will say that as an older reader there is a certain comfort and affirmation in not reading Iron Man for fifteen years and then picking up a book today to find what our old favorite Tony Stark is up to. Comic books themselves have taught us that the characters are timeless. They don't age and seem to change only enough to meet the times they are printed in. It's the same character you loved on a new adventure. It's part of why I find legacy to be a myth and that swapping hammer, ring, armor, X around is foolish. In truth you have made that hammer, ring, armor et al the main character of your book while making the person dispensable. That doesn't work out in the end. Ever. It takes years to interest people in a new character enough to accept them and buy into them long term in your stable to have books centered around them. You might get some short term pluses with a swap but in the end its a screw job. People want the original back and forget the other person or junk that went away from the core of what made the character successful in the first place.

It's part of why I feel Rebirth is so successful and Civil War makes the Marvel U look like its falling apart in quality and sales. You just can't slap a mantle on some one and expect people to care. Amadeus Cho can be interesting but they failed to make him unique in his own right for example. He isn't the Hulk. He is just another wannabe tolerated while we wait for the real thing to come back and start reading something else.

We got real Superman. We got real Batman. With all their cool history and interesting bits that made us care. Over there we got some kangaroo hopping around in some one else's clothes pretending to be the original.
Psiot, I CAN TOTALLY RELATE TO THIS. I do get your pov.
BUT...
one of the most fun memories I ever had as a Batman reader (and that's decades now) was when Dick and Damian were the new Dynamic Duo. I NEVER expected to like them kids as I liked Bruce/Dick/Jason/Tim/Steph :lol: . It can work sometimes.
John Stewart is another case of a legacy character that in many ways, is as cool as Hal. Guy and Kyle, not so much.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

ShadowTuga wrote:
Psiot X wrote:I will say that as an older reader there is a certain comfort and affirmation in not reading Iron Man for fifteen years and then picking up a book today to find what our old favorite Tony Stark is up to. Comic books themselves have taught us that the characters are timeless. They don't age and seem to change only enough to meet the times they are printed in. It's the same character you loved on a new adventure. It's part of why I find legacy to be a myth and that swapping hammer, ring, armor, X around is foolish. In truth you have made that hammer, ring, armor et al the main character of your book while making the person dispensable. That doesn't work out in the end. Ever. It takes years to interest people in a new character enough to accept them and buy into them long term in your stable to have books centered around them. You might get some short term pluses with a swap but in the end its a screw job. People want the original back and forget the other person or junk that went away from the core of what made the character successful in the first place.

Psiot, I CAN TOTALLY RELATE TO THIS. I do get your pov.
BUT...
one of the most fun memories I ever had as a Batman reader (and that's decades now) was when Dick and Damian were the new Dynamic Duo. I NEVER expected to like them kids as I liked Bruce/Dick/Jason/Tim/Steph :lol: . It can work sometimes.
John Stewart is another case of a legacy character that in many ways, is as cool as Hal. Guy and Kyle, not so much.
1) Leave Guy alone he's awesome. 2) I liked when Dick was Batman for a bit as well. 3) I think one of the big problems is that Marvel and DC to a lesser extent lately still try to pretend this is permanent. They still advertise this as something that 75 years later we'll be celebrating. We know these things eventually return to line up with the movies. Marvel has of late made so many massive changes to line up with the movies it's almost laughable. Best example right now...Thor. Thor 3 is out next year, he's getting at least for now the Ultimate Thor hammer and wouldn't doubt he'll get his normal hammer back and Jane will have Ultimate and be shuffled off to the side like Thunderstrike.