R.I.P. Bernie Wrightson 1948-2017

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
R.I.P. Bernie Wrightson 1948-2017

Post by grendeljd »

Bernie Wrightson passed away last weekend on Saturday, March 18th. I know he never did anything Valiant related, but I'm surprised no one has posted about it here yet.

Bernie was a huge influence on me personally, I studied his work as a teenager into my early 20's to figure out how to improve my own art. An unparalleled master in the industry. I was working at the HorrorHound convention in Cincinnati, surrounded by a bunch of artist friends when we all heard the news - you could hear the ripple effect of dismay as the word passed through the crowd. :cry:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: R.I.P. Bernie Wrightson 1948-2017

Post by greg »

I got to meet him a couple of years ago. He had original art from Frankenstein Alive! Alive! at his table that was incredible.

I bought a print from his older Frankenstein illustrations and had him sign it. I got a nice frame and have kept it in my office since I bought it.

I'm sorry others won't have a chance to meet him, too.

greg

Post by greg »

I need to take a photo of the actual framed print in my office, but this is the image:

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

greg wrote:I need to take a photo of the actual framed print in my office, but this is the image:

Awesome print. :thumb: :clap:

I love those illustrations. I bought the softcover edition of that illustrated Frankenstein book back in the day. Gorgeous work all throughout.

Just the other day I found I still have my copy of a huge 26" x 40" poster print of the double page illustration with the monster in Frankensteins lab!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

It's a little worse for wear, I used to just tape it to the wall wherever I was living (moved around a lot back then). Glad I still have it. I could pour over the details in this drawing for hours at a time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greg

Post by greg »

I like the wear on your print. Makes it feel authentic... is "patina" a thing for paper collectibles?

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

greg wrote:I like the wear on your print. Makes it feel authentic... is "patina" a thing for paper collectibles?
I am learning as my wife gets further into doing professional poster illustration that no, poster collectors are just as OCD about mint condition as we comic fans are. I am scared every single time that I touch copies of her posters to pack and ship the orders out :lol:

But thanks, I kind of like the effect of having all that tape "patina" aging too... It's a reminder that this is a much loved & well travelled artifact from my past :)

greg

Post by greg »

grendeljd wrote:
greg wrote:I like the wear on your print. Makes it feel authentic... is "patina" a thing for paper collectibles?
I am learning as my wife gets further into doing professional poster illustration that no, poster collectors are just as OCD about mint condition as we comic fans are. I am scared every single time that I touch copies of her posters to pack and ship the orders out :lol:

But thanks, I kind of like the effect of having all that tape "patina" aging too... It's a reminder that this is a much loved & well travelled artifact from my past :)
I'm not sure all the wear and tear would look good on most posters, but the "patina" on Wrightson's Frankenstein laboratory gives it the feel that the poster itself was part of the scene it depicts.

As I get further into collecting "things I like", I would say the authenticity of the poster damage and the fact that it devalues the poster for an "OCD mint condition" collector makes it a "win-win" scenario for a "things I like" collector... cooler-looking real-life-aged piece, lower price.

:)

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

greg wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

I'm not sure all the wear and tear would look good on most posters, but the "patina" on Wrightson's Frankenstein laboratory gives it the feel that the poster itself was part of the scene it depicts.

As I get further into collecting "things I like", I would say the authenticity of the poster damage and the fact that it devalues the poster for an "OCD mint condition" collector makes it a "win-win" scenario for a "things I like" collector... cooler-looking real-life-aged piece, lower price.

:)
:lol:

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

I loved his work on Spider-Man: Hooky which had a double page spread of Spider-Man fighting a fire-breathing dragon and I remember being haunted by it until I finally bought it and showing it too friends at school all of them going "Holy crap that is cool!"
His work on Batman: The Cult and The Punisher: POV had a kind of weird surrealism and horror element in a pair of criminally under-rated mini-series both written by Jim Starlin. I got the art book on Frankenstein Alive! and reading his comments on it you could tell he was really passionate about it.

R.I.P. Bernie Wrightson. :cry:
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!