So Marvels Lost Their Mind And Is Blaming Everyone Else

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: So Marvels Lost Their Mind And Is Blaming Everyone Else

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:
Sven the Returned wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:Welcome to Disney guys. There is a reason why Disney had to buy star wars and marvel. they absolutely suck at boy properties. I'm an OG doom and gloomer. Disney brings their money and you can say goodby to your favorite franchise lines.

I went from 30 or so bucks a week on marvel to 0. thanks disney. ya *SQUEE*.
You're a cool guy, Giant Pumpkin, and I like you, but I would ask that you reconsider thinking this way. I take all the feminists I follow on Twitter to task when they say "books for girls" or similar, and I'm gonna take you to task for saying "boy properties". There is nothing intrinsic about being male or female that predisposes one to like certain toy/ideas/stories/jobs/etc. All of that crap is created by society and people reinforcing it.

Actually pointing this actual conversation in the Disney direction, I know exactly the meaning that you trying to get at. My family and I are Disney nuts. I always have been. Disney is very "girl oriented" in their marketing. I'm using "girl oriented" because Disney actually states most of their princess stuff is "for girls" or "for little princesses". There are tons of things Disney does in the parks this way that make my son feel uncomfortable attending (but would otherwise probably enjoy as he loves both "boyish" and "girly" activities") because they say "for girls". It's frustrating.

My favorite Disney film is Beauty in the Beast. I was 10 years old when it released. I was in elementary school, I was a bookworm. I was surrounded by idiots in a rural area. I related to Belle. It never crossed my mind that I shouldn't relate to her because she was a girl. I still relate to Belle. However, over the years Disney has so totally tried to drive a stake between "content for boys" and "content for girls" that it is very hard to enjoy things for what they are. I hate it.

I hate society.

That is all. Oh. And Kamala Khan is an awesome character.
If you hate society i guess people from earlier centuries should had commited suicide right after birth. The world is never better despite the clouds ahead.
People as individuals are perfectly fine. Groups of people are the problem.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
One of my all-time favourite quotes, from John Malkovich: "I hate people generally, but I like them specifically."
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nutflush76
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by nutflush76 »

I have held the opinion for a while that people don't like changes to the status quo. Changing the status quo for the sake of diversity isn't going to win you many fans for diversity. In fact, taking a white character and making them black seems insulting to black people. It is like telling black people that they are not interesting enough to be a popular character, so they get to wear a white guy's costume. In the end, the black reader doesn't get excited and the white reader (actually, probably both readers) becomes alienated becasue his favorite character has been changed.

Although I also understand how tough it is to launch an all-new character. There haven't been all that many chart-topping new characters introduced in comics since Wolverine and that was 40 years ago. I think that part of it is that it costs so much money to bring a new series to print, especially for the big 2, that they don't want to take risks with unknown properties. Add in the backwards thinking that Marvel has shown regarding diversity and they just won't take a chance with a black, asian, or hispanic character.

I think a good case for the toughness of bringing new minority characters is the Milestone Universe. Those characters were good. 25 years later, there are still a lot of fans of those characters. But they just didn't take off. It would be even harder to do something like Milestone today. With cover prices around $4 a book, the average comic reader doesn't really have the budget to experiment with many new series.

long story short, diversity in comics is much more complex than: "let's make Iron Man a black female teenager!" But I also think the barriers to diversity in comics are much more complex then close-minds.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy

Post by Sven the Returned »

nutflush76 wrote:I have held the opinion for a while that people don't like changes to the status quo. Changing the status quo for the sake of diversity isn't going to win you many fans for diversity. In fact, taking a white character and making them black seems insulting to black people. It is like telling black people that they are not interesting enough to be a popular character, so they get to wear a white guy's costume. In the end, the black reader doesn't get excited and the white reader (actually, probably both readers) becomes alienated becasue his favorite character has been changed.

Although I also understand how tough it is to launch an all-new character. There haven't been all that many chart-topping new characters introduced in comics since Wolverine and that was 40 years ago. I think that part of it is that it costs so much money to bring a new series to print, especially for the big 2, that they don't want to take risks with unknown properties. Add in the backwards thinking that Marvel has shown regarding diversity and they just won't take a chance with a black, asian, or hispanic character.

I think a good case for the toughness of bringing new minority characters is the Milestone Universe. Those characters were good. 25 years later, there are still a lot of fans of those characters. But they just didn't take off. It would be even harder to do something like Milestone today. With cover prices around $4 a book, the average comic reader doesn't really have the budget to experiment with many new series.

long story short, diversity in comics is much more complex than: "let's make Iron Man a black female teenager!" But I also think the barriers to diversity in comics are much more complex then close-minds.
I have no idea why there is a comic book status quo when the similar medium of tv changes all the time. Not talking about race and ethnicity.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

lorddunlow wrote:There is no biological reason for a child with a penis to like to play with trucks and guns and cowboys and a child with a vagina to like to play with dolls and dresses and fairies.
I would have to disagree. Speaking broadly, our genders are genetically designed to serve different purposes to ensure the survival of the human species. Males are designed to be aggressive for defense, females are designed to be more nurturing in order to assure our progeny a healthy environment for development.

Went camping once with five other couples, we all had young kids with us. A freaking black bear wandered out of the forest just a hundred feet from us. Somebody shouted. The guys all jumped up and immediately ran toward it. The wives all scooped up kids and ran the other direction.

This is not an accident, it's our genetic reflex. Little black bear (maybe five foot) quickly ran away and didn't bother us again. (yeah, we stayed)

Anyway, back on topic: I am delighted to see racial and gender pandering fail for Marvel. It's idiotic. Marvel has been plenty diverse since the seventies.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

jmatt wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:There is no biological reason for a child with a penis to like to play with trucks and guns and cowboys and a child with a vagina to like to play with dolls and dresses and fairies.
I would have to disagree. Speaking broadly, our genders are genetically designed to serve different purposes to ensure the survival of the human species. Males are designed to be aggressive for defense, females are designed to be more nurturing in order to assure our progeny a healthy environment for development.

Went camping once with five other couples, we all had young kids with us. A freaking black bear wandered out of the forest just a hundred feet from us. Somebody shouted. The guys all jumped up and immediately ran toward it. The wives all scooped up kids and ran the other direction.

This is not an accident, it's our genetic reflex. Little black bear (maybe five foot) quickly ran away and didn't bother us again. (yeah, we stayed)

Anyway, back on topic: I am delighted to see racial and gender pandering fail for Marvel. It's idiotic. Marvel has been plenty diverse since the seventies.
That's a fallacy supported by your social programming. There are numerous cultures with dominant females and submissive males. There are numerous cultures without a dominant sex. Same in the animal world.

Androgens do increase muscle mass in humans. That means, in general , that male humans are stronger than females. Plenty of exceptions and definitely has nothing to do with the the behavior you describe.

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

lorddunlow wrote:
jmatt wrote:

That's a fallacy supported by your social programming. There are numerous cultures with dominant females and submissive males. There are numerous cultures without a dominant sex. Same in the animal world.

Androgens do increase muscle mass in humans. That means, in general , that male humans are stronger than females. Plenty of exceptions and definitely has nothing to do with the the behavior you describe.

Name a culture where women waged war and the man stayed home.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Sven the Returned wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
jmatt wrote:

Umm... Amazons were real. They were the Scythians. And while the myths of Amazons greatly embellished, they were warriors and very formidable. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... -cannabis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also the Saramatians which were similar to the Scythians.

Many aboriginal American civilizations are matriarchal in lineage and power structure in government with many either doing most of the fighting or equal with the males.

You like to just say things and hope that they are true, don't you?

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Sven the Returned wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
jmatt wrote:

Many pagan communities, the women lead and played very important parts in the area's governments. The woman (because of child berth) was viewed as a life giver, and thus extremely important in their societies. Even Indian cultures showed many of the same traits, where women were considered the voice of reason for war and for peace. While there have been few women of war throughout written history, there are a few. Joan of Arch, for one, was one who waged war, even though she had no skills as a warrior. Just the "voice of God" in her head.
Moose

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Kind of surprised there hasn't been much debate regarding this on here.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04/23 ... ignatures/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Moose

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

lorddunlow wrote:That's a fallacy supported by your social programming. There are numerous cultures with dominant females and submissive males. There are numerous cultures without a dominant sex. Same in the animal world.
Nobody said anything about dominance. I'm not interested in arguing a gender war. But my "fallacy" is supported by all of recorded human history. Genders are different. They are genetically designed to be exactly that.

That's not to say that women can't be powerful or men incapable of being nurturing. But to deny the basic reality of gender differences is silly, imo. YMMV.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I think it's pretty tough to run at full speed when you are naked.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Sven the Returned wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
jmatt wrote:

Many pagan communities, the women lead and played very important parts in the area's governments. The woman (because of child berth) was viewed as a life giver, and thus extremely important in their societies. Even Indian cultures showed many of the same traits, where women were considered the voice of reason for war and for peace. While there have been few women of war throughout written history, there are a few. Joan of Arch, for one, was one who waged war, even though she had no skills as a warrior. Just the "voice of God" in her head.

It seems to me that when going through a rough historical transition women seem to be ones who general tend to lead better than a man not always of course but history seems to be at least kinder to them than a male counterpart if one was in charge in the same time.
Queen Elisabeth I led England through a very troubled time and into what many historians called "England's first Golden Age" how golden will be debated through to the end of time.
Queen Victoria led England through the "Victorian Era" which had some great things and some things that were not great.
Czarina Catherine the Great was a popular czarina of Russia and IIRC helped them through a troubled time in Russian history (although my knowledge of ancient Russia is extremely limited).

Now were these 3 saints?
HELL NO.
They all made bad choices and did some questionable things but history seems to have judged them as great leaders.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Another example showing that culture plays more of a role in gender roles/behaviors than biology. https://www.theguardian.com/society/200 ... ationships" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not saying biology plays no role at all (we are sexually dimorphic animals), but biology only provides cues. It's societal pressure that reinforces the strict boxes we live in. People are just too brainwashed to admit/realize it.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

:popcorn:
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

They are now copying DC and going back to the original numbering.
How long will this last?:..

http://www.newsarama.com/34197-marvel-r ... xtras.html
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

ShadowTuga wrote:They are now copying DC and going back to the original numbering.

Stop trying to derail the thread!

:kidaround:

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

lorddunlow wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:They are now copying DC and going back to the original numbering.

:lol: :thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

They've been "going back to the original numbering" so many times in the past I think it would be hard to accuse them of copying DC on this. It's circular at this point. Fantastic Four has gone back to it's original numbering at least 3 times now.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

lorddunlow wrote:

:lol: :high-five:

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

lorddunlow wrote:
Sven the Returned wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
jmatt wrote:

Umm... Amazons were real. They were the Scythians. And while the myths of Amazons greatly embellished, they were warriors and very formidable. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... -cannabis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also the Saramatians which were similar to the Scythians.

Many aboriginal American civilizations are matriarchal in lineage and power structure in government with many either doing most of the fighting or equal with the males.

You like to just say things and hope that they are true, don't you?
Do most historians agree that the Amazons were real? Scythians were not amazons nor were the Sarmatians. How did the females comppnesate for the lack of physical strenght?
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Sven the Returned wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
jmatt wrote:

Indian history is just as bloody and messed up as any other. There were so amazing women in history, that does not mean man and women are not different.
Cyberstrike wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Sven the Returned wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
jmatt wrote:

It seems to me that when going through a rough historical transition women seem to be ones who general tend to lead better than a man not always of course but history seems to be at least kinder to them than a male counterpart if one was in charge in the same time.
Queen Elisabeth I led England through a very troubled time and into what many historians called "England's first Golden Age" how golden will be debated through to the end of time.
Queen Victoria led England through the "Victorian Era" which had some great things and some things that were not great.
Czarina Catherine the Great was a popular czarina of Russia and IIRC helped them through a troubled time in Russian history (although my knowledge of ancient Russia is extremely limited).

Now were these 3 saints?
HELL NO.
They all made bad choices and did some questionable things but history seems to have judged them as great leaders.
These good leaders succeeded first and foremost by being of noble birth. They had the advantage of being special protected class.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Sven, nothing you just said made any sense.
Last edited by lorddunlow on Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:32:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

jeremycoe wrote:

They've been "going back to the original numbering" so many times in the past I think it would be hard to accuse them of copying DC on this. It's circular at this point. Fantastic Four has gone back to it's original numbering at least 3 times now.
Currently DC only has 2 titles Action Comics and Detective Comics with legacy numbering, Marvel ran this con job so many times it's beyond stupid it's just confusing as hell. They've done this crap with Fantastic Four, The Incredible Hulk, The Avengers, Thor, Iron Man, X-Factor, Captain Marvel, Venom, Daredevil, Captain America, The Amazing Spider-Man just to name a few. Marvel can shove their "legacy numbering" up their @$$es and for that matter DC can to. Screw "legacy numbering" if Marvel and DC are stupid enough to "cancel" a series just because it has over 500 issues and they want to restart a month later then they can stop insulting me by reverting the numbering when it reaches a high number "anniversary" issue then combine the new series to make it like it's all one massive series, because it's not. The current Action Comics and Detective Comics are not continuations of the Pre-New 52 reboot series they're a brand new series that DC just added 52 (or whatever the actual number of issues before DC Rebirth was) to original series just to make a BS high number count it's just so that DC can get to #1,000 for each series which they would have gotten had they not decided to cancel the original series in the New 52 reboot.

TL/DR: DC should have kept the numbering for Action Comics and Detective Comics for the New 52 instead of canceling them and restarting them and then doing the same damn thing for DC Rebirth. Marvel needs to stop legacy numbering because it's not only stupid it's confusing as hell. Legacy numbering should NOT be tolerated by fans and all publishers need to stop it.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

edited.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

lorddunlow wrote:Sven, nothing you just said made any sense.
That's not really the answer of all Internet answers some people claim it is.