What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dark-Flux
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Gilad Anni-Pada
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Freshuart Vandittart
Favorite artist: Paulo Rivera
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by Dark-Flux »

Other than my pullist, im currently reading Strangers in Paradise and re-reading Millers Daredevil.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

The Transformers: Dark Cybertron finally read all 12 parts in one sitting easily one of the most fun crossovers I've read in years.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

got first issue of Ant-Man, it was very good.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

i just started the second omnibus of "the secret history." very good. if you like history this is a fun one.
Last edited by ilzuccone on Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:45:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Anybody have any speculative advice on the new Ant-Man and the Squirrel Girl comic?

I am trying to not actually buy any comics on 2015, but I am also in a position where if I can make money on some, I will...

:oops:

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

Based on the high praise from Paradise, I just finished the "Pax Romana" TPB by Jonathan Hickman. Awesome story and thanks for the great recommendation, Ed! :thumb:

I also finished the new "Winterworld" Volume 1 TPB from Chuck Dixon and IDW and I plan to continue reading this series through the trades.

Finally, I am still plowing my way through "Ex Machina" and I just love this series. :cloud9: This is one series where I cannot wait to read the next volume. Volumes 7-10 and I am done! :(

Michael
mkb28

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I picked up all of Hickman's early stuff during the last Image digital sale. Can't wait to read it all.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

I am 41 years old and have read DC comics since 1978. No one will ever accuse me of being a fan of the New 52, but I give the Phantom Stranger TPB a two thumbs up and will hopefully re-read it in the future and my 11yo son really liked it as well. I recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the DC universe supernatural characters.
***Support your local farmers!***

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

Re reading Starman 2nd series.
I remembeered it being really good.
Its better than I remembered.
Brilliant.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

Brother Darque

Post by Brother Darque »

been catching up on Suicide Squad because of the movie announcement.

Ostrander really had something there.

mkb28
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

Just finished the Volume 1 trade of "Letter 44" by Charles Soule from ONI Press. This is a fun series to read and I plan to pick up the next trade when it comes out. :thumb:

mkb28

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Read Jupiter's Legacy #5 among others this week - thought it was a great issue. I really like Frank Quitely, his style is very inspiring to me - glad to finally get another fresh dose of it. :thumb: :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

Finished up SiP today.

What a great read.

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

McBain #1
Prometheus/Aliens/AVP: Fire & Stone #1-4

:popcorn:

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

Brother Darque wrote:been catching up on Suicide Squad because of the movie announcement.

A very underrated series back when it was released, and it was ahead of its time. An ethnically diverse cast of characters (which was a complete rarity back then), a Dirty Dozen feel to it, the introduction of Barbara Gordon as Oracle, Amanda Waller, Lashina (I believe SS was her first appearance), etc...

I was never disappointed with a single issue. One of my favorite sub-plots was Black Tiger vs Ravan, and Ravan eventually joining the group (and Ravan's obsession with killing Kobra)

Brother Darque

Post by Brother Darque »

Savant wrote:
Brother Darque wrote:been catching up on Suicide Squad because of the movie announcement.

A very underrated series back when it was released, and it was ahead of its time. An ethnically diverse cast of characters (which was a complete rarity back then), a Dirty Dozen feel to it, the introduction of Barbara Gordon as Oracle, Amanda Waller, Lashina (I believe SS was her first appearance), etc...

I was never disappointed with a single issue. One of my favorite sub-plots was Black Tiger vs Ravan, and Ravan eventually joining the group (and Ravan's obsession with killing Kobra)
also very in touch with the times, like the issue where they go to south America to take out the cocaine lord and when they get back Speedy, who went on the mission with them, says how what they did really won't help end cocaine coming to America and the only true way to end the cocaine trade was to nuke Columbia.

also with the Jihad and the missions to the soviet union, you won't see the current suicide squad taking on ISIS or sneaking into North Korea.

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

i'm reading through annihilation right now on marvel unlimited. has anyone here read it? does it get better? i've read the prelude, nova 1-4 and the first issue of the ronan tie in.

Savant

Post by Savant »

ilzuccone wrote:i'm reading through annihilation right now on marvel unlimited. has anyone here read it? does it get better? i've read the prelude, nova 1-4 and the first issue of the ronan tie in.
Some people seemed to like the build-up to Annihilation (those minis you mentioned, which comprise of books 1 & 2), but, personally, I thought those were crap. The only part of Annihilation worth reading is the main miniseries ("book 3").

Savant

Post by Savant »

Brother Darque wrote:
Savant wrote:

also very in touch with the times, like the issue where they go to south America to take out the cocaine lord and when they get back Speedy, who went on the mission with them, says how what they did really won't help end cocaine coming to America and the only true way to end the cocaine trade was to nuke Columbia.

also with the Jihad and the missions to the soviet union, you won't see the current suicide squad taking on ISIS or sneaking into North Korea.

I don't even bother with the new SS series.

My hope is if the movie does well we can get Ostrander's original run in an omnibus collection. I have almost the entire run in single issues, but I'd buy an omnibus in a heartbeat.

My fear is they'll simply do such with the current series.

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

Savant wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:i'm reading through annihilation right now on marvel unlimited. has anyone here read it? does it get better? i've read the prelude, nova 1-4 and the first issue of the ronan tie in.
Some people seemed to like the build-up to Annihilation (those minis you mentioned, which comprise of books 1 & 2), but, personally, I thought those were crap. The only part of Annihilation worth reading is the main miniseries ("book 3").
yeah i'm going to skip ahead. this marvel unlimited app has something like 10,000 comics. why waist my time. thanks for the input savant!

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Annihilation 4 was good. 6 moved me.

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

Chiclo wrote:
Annihilation 4 was good. 6 moved me.
:thumb:

Brother Darque

Post by Brother Darque »

Savant wrote:
Brother Darque wrote:
Savant wrote:

I don't even bother with the new SS series.

My hope is if the movie does well we can get Ostrander's original run in an omnibus collection. I have almost the entire run in single issues, but I'd buy an omnibus in a heartbeat.

My fear is they'll simply do such with the current series.
Also, it would be cool if they had Rick Flagg and Rustam on Arrow.

erwinrafael
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

Jusr read Hawkeye #21.

Despite all the delays, the book still made my heart ache a lot. That's how powerful this issue is.

I think the thought of this amazing run ending is contributing to the heaviness of the heart. I hope Fraction and Aja would team up again, maybe in a non-serialized format so that Aja can finish the stories first before they release issues.

Those last two pages.

Those *SQUEE* last two pages.

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

Just finished reading #6 of the Usagi Yojimbo Senso mini. Brilliant finish to a terrific mini, the ending left me feeling sadness which was transformed into a strong feeling of hope, all within a few pages. Stan Sakai is a true master of his craft.

Comixology recently acquired Humanoid's reprints of the classic French sci-fi sagas the Incal and the Metabarons. I bought the Incal Vol. 1 years ago when Epic reprinted it and I've never been able to finish it and I've heard nothing but great reviews about the Metabarons. So finally looking forward to reading these series.