Marvel Legacy

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Marvel Legacy

Post by dornwolf »

So today Marvel is revealing there next big thing basically. Legacy. Something they claimed would change the face of comics.

So far...nothing actually interesting. Couple of new titles that feel almost exactly like DCYou, great for an arc but why push it as the characters new thing. Example, The Punisher in War Machines armour.

Also, just doing homage covers to their own books and legacy numbering. Nothing that's actually groundbreaking as of yet

https://www.newsarama.com/35065-marvel- ... twist.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Marvel Legacy

Post by greg »

Some of those homage covers look pretty close to "junior high school art contest" entries. :hm:

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Putting the Punisher inside the War Machine armor isn't a bad idea, but it's also not "going back to the core" of Marvel. This is something that back in the truly good 'ol days of comics, would've just been an interesting storyarc in Iron Man, or a crossover between the regular Iron Man series and the regular Punisher series.

Marvel Comics are now permanently swish cheese, given the confusing volumes, renumberings, and "throw anything to see what sticks" mentality.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

IMJ wrote:Putting the Punisher inside the War Machine armor isn't a bad idea, but it's also not "going back to the core" of Marvel. This is something that back in the truly good 'ol days of comics, would've just been an interesting storyarc in Iron Man, or a crossover between the regular Iron Man series and the regular Punisher series.

Marvel Comics are now permanently swish cheese, given the confusing volumes, renumberings, and "throw anything to see what sticks" mentality.
It's kind of a core idea, Punisher at this point has been Captain America, Frankenstein, and a literal Angel. If anything that actually makes sense. The funny/sad thing is that Marvel wants legacy and to have more people of colour present so what better way than to kill of a black character and replace him with a white guy with a gun.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

Not feeling this at all. Meh.
I'll continue reading X-Men Gold, and ignore these stupid events every 3 months. Also hoping that Laura and James Hudson get the *SQUEE* out of 616, along with OML (he's cool, but out of place, no pun intended).

Spider-Man's world is the perfect example of how Marvel has left their "legacy" go down the pipes. It's beyond ridiculous, but someone could say the same about Batman, with all the Bat-something running around, so I won't judge... but Spiderling?! :lol:

I never saw Peter Parker as a legacy character, so maybe I'm being a bit of an uninformed a-hole. That said, wow, how many Spiderwomen/girls are there (rethorical question, do not care about the answer)?
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

ShadowTuga wrote:Not feeling this at all. Meh.
I'll continue reading X-Men Gold, and ignore these stupid events every 3 months. Also hoping that Laura and James Hudson get the *SQUEE* out of 616, along with OML (he's cool, but out of place, no pun intended).

Spider-Man's world is the perfect example of how Marvel has left their "legacy" go down the pipes. It's beyond ridiculous, but someone could say the same about Batman, with all the Bat-something running around, so I won't judge... but Spiderling?! :lol:

I never saw Peter Parker as a legacy character, so maybe I'm being a bit of an uninformed a-hole. That said, wow, how many Spiderwomen/girls are there (rethorical question, do not care about the answer)?
Hey Renew Your Vows Spider-man is the best one going.

ironherc
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by ironherc »

This is a farce, tribute covers don't mean anything when all the creative teams are the same, the replacement characters are still taking over their much better originals. Clearly Marvel hasn't learn it's lesson and I shall enjoy reading DC instead.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

ironherc wrote:This is a farce, tribute covers don't mean anything when all the creative teams are the same, the replacement characters are still taking over their much better originals. Clearly Marvel hasn't learn it's lesson and I shall enjoy reading DC instead.
DC has done tribute covers on occasion.
I'm actually more impressed that they are planning some Jack Kirby tribute comics for Kirby's 100th birthday but these are some one-shots, mini-series, and collected editions of Kirby's DC work and not just a bunch of variant covers. Which is what Marvel should be doing and considering the amount of extremely popular characters he either created and/or co-created for Marvel. IMHO it's kind of disgraceful that all Marvel can do is get some variant covers for a few random titles.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

ironherc
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by ironherc »

Cyberstrike wrote:
ironherc wrote:This is a farce, tribute covers don't mean anything when all the creative teams are the same, the replacement characters are still taking over their much better originals. Clearly Marvel hasn't learn it's lesson and I shall enjoy reading DC instead.
I'm actually more impressed that they are planning some Jack Kirby tribute comics for Kirby's 100th birthday but these are some one-shots, mini-series, and collected editions of Kirby's DC work and not just a bunch of variant covers. Which is what Marvel should be doing and considering the amount of extremely popular characters he either created and/or co-created for Marvel. IMHO it's kind of disgraceful that all Marvel can do is get some variant covers for a few random titles.
tribute covers are not an issue. is the fact that they expected us to be extremely excited over them and that would be enough to fix things is the problem. Sjw marvel has no respect for Kirby so they won't so anything for him even if he was one of the major pioneers of the marvel universe. I'm getting a lot of the stuff dc will give us since they do respect him and a lot if it looks great.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

ironherc wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
tribute covers are not an issue. is the fact that they expected us to be extremely excited over them and that would be enough to fix things is the problem. Sjw marvel has no respect for Kirby so they won't so anything for him even if he was one of the major pioneers of the marvel universe. I'm getting a lot of the stuff dc will give us since they do respect him and a lot if it looks great.
Marvel is celebrating Kirby's birthday with a few "True Believers" reprints of his work, I plan to get all of them. :D
https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/375 ... h-birthday
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

When I flip through the Marvel Previews book I have to wonder at this point are they just pulling the so-called "legacy" numbering out of their butts because some of the numbering is curious like Captain America #695 and is the start of Steve Rogers' redemption arc and it so happens to be only just five issues away from #700 so Marvel can do a double size special issue.

The same with Iron Man #593 and kicks off the The Search for Tony Stark storyline I wonder if it will conclude at #600?

The Amazing Spider-Man starting at #789 with enough time for one massive arc or two arcs to climax in #800 (and BTW how did Marvel reach #789 when ASM #700 was released less than 4-5 years ago?)
Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man is starting at #297.
The Guardians of the Galaxy is about 3-5 months from Legacy to be #150.
The Avengers will be at #675 in a few months.

Some titles like Moon Knight is starting Legacy at #188 and is a bi-weekly comic.
Dr. Strange is starting at #381.
The Punisher is starting at #218.

While some titles are just picking up where the original series numbering left off Darkhawk, The Master of Kung-Fu, Not Brand Ecch, Power Pack, Thanos, and Silver Sable and the Wild Pack.

It does seem to me like Marvel is making the numbering of these Legacy titles to be awful close to a big "landmark" issue so they can sell a bunch of special double-sized issues.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

Here's their Captain America justification, but it would have made more sense to use "Captain America: Steve Rogers" instead of Sam Wilson.Image
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Cyberstrike wrote:When I flip through the Marvel Previews book I have to wonder at this point are they just pulling the so-called "legacy" numbering out of their butts because some of the numbering is curious like Captain America #695 and is the start of Steve Rogers' redemption arc and it so happens to be only just five issues away from #700 so Marvel can do a double size special issue.

The same with Iron Man #593 and kicks off the The Search for Tony Stark storyline I wonder if it will conclude at #600?

The Amazing Spider-Man starting at #789 with enough time for one massive arc or two arcs to climax in #800 (and BTW how did Marvel reach #789 when ASM #700 was released less than 4-5 years ago?)
Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man is starting at #297.
The Guardians of the Galaxy is about 3-5 months from Legacy to be #150.
The Avengers will be at #675 in a few months.

Some titles like Moon Knight is starting Legacy at #188 and is a bi-weekly comic.
Dr. Strange is starting at #381.
The Punisher is starting at #218.

While some titles are just picking up where the original series numbering left off Darkhawk, The Master of Kung-Fu, Not Brand Ecch, Power Pack, Thanos, and Silver Sable and the Wild Pack.

It does seem to me like Marvel is making the numbering of these Legacy titles to be awful close to a big "landmark" issue so they can sell a bunch of special double-sized issues.
People have pointed it out across all the books. Marvel is definitely goosing the numbers to make it sound better. Luc Cage and Sam Wilson Falcon look better in triple digits than pointing out that they never made it even #100

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

I did not want to start a new thread on this, so I'll post it here:

Weapon H in a series of his own. facepalm
I think this will be a maxi, prob trying the waters with the character... makes me sort of sad actually. Marvel has no way of coming up with successful new characters that are not a sub/"new" version of a previous one, for the most part. Marvel has 2 active Wolverines on their ongoings each, the other "real" Logan will come back this year and his kid from the Ultimates world is around too. There's a bunch of Hulks, green and red.

Now- Wolverine + Hulk hybrid has its own book.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

ShadowTuga wrote:I did not want to start a new thread on this, so I'll post it here:

Weapon H in a series of his own. facepalm
I think this will be a maxi, prob trying the waters with the character... makes me sort of sad actually. Marvel has no way of coming up with successful new characters that are not a sub/"new" version of a previous one, for the most part. Marvel has 2 active Wolverines on their ongoings each, the other "real" Logan will come back this year and his kid from the Ultimates world is around too. There's a bunch of Hulks, green and red.

Now- Wolverine + Hulk hybrid has its own book.
Because you demanded it!

I guess, I have no idea, I forgot that was a thing for awhile

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

What I am demanding is Gweapon H.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Dr. Solar wrote:What I am demanding is Gweapon H.
Don't forget to Venomize her. :roll:
***Support your local farmers!***

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

geocarr wrote:
Marvel is already doing that with Spider-Gwen. That will be her first arc in Legacy. :roll:

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

So the lenticular covers that were supposed to entice the return of a readership to Marvel are a complete disaster. I stopped by a Graham Crackers today to buy some mylites to rebag my TOS run and the two Iron Man covers caught my eye - I think they were Falcon #1 (an homage to Iron Man vol. 1, #71) and Iron Man #593 (an homage to Iron Man vol. 1 #155).

They are awful. They don't "lenticulate". The don't work. And I'm talking that they are worse than first generation "Sports Flicks" cards from the 80s'. Those of us old enough to remember the old, rounded bottoms from 7-11 cups with the baseball circles will find operated better than these covers. It's almost like the cover manufacturer only engraved one side of the prismatic material completely and left the other side in unequal proportion.

Obviously if you guys see them check them out for yourselves, but this event, with the low quality is a failed cash grab by Marvel.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Cyberstrike wrote:
geocarr wrote:
Marvel is already doing that with Spider-Gwen. That will be her first arc in Legacy. :roll:
Remember the days where this would've actually been a joke

geocarr

Post by geocarr »

dornwolf wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
geocarr wrote:
Remember the days where this would've actually been a joke
facepalm :censored: :!: :mad: :rant:

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Not Legacy, but this series caught my attention- like everyone else, I also feel that Hawkeye was one of the best things from OML. I might bite the hook for this, will wait for the trade and check reviews. I would like to know more about his connection to Spidey's family and see a bit more of the "Hulkabillies".

http://www.cbr.com/hawkeye-best-part-old-man-logan/
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Again, not a Legacy subject, but this made me jump on my couch: Don McGregor !!!!!!! is back on Black Panther, along with Priest and Hudlin. :clap: :clap: :clap:
That is a comic I will buy.
https://www.newsarama.com/37407-mcgrego ... ories.html
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

geocarr

Post by geocarr »

ShadowTuga wrote:Again, not a Legacy subject, but this made me jump on my couch: Don McGregor !!!!!!! is back on Black Panther, along with Priest and Hudlin. :clap: :clap: :clap:
That is a comic I will buy.
https://www.newsarama.com/37407-mcgrego ... ories.html
Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely be ordering this. Priest's run is my favorite! I've been meaning to reread it.

Wodwulf Seaxaning
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Duane Swierczynski

Post by Wodwulf Seaxaning »

I said it before, the only Marvel title I am following is Spider-manL Miles Morales, because so far it is solid. But if what I've seen is true & they have him hook up with Gwen-pool I might drop Marvel superheroes completely & focus only on their Star Wars titles instead. Every thing I've heard or seen of the Legacy thing is that it is garbage. I'd rather read DC & Valiant than touch Marvel's Superhero Universe, that is bleeding into their Movies too. I might watch Deadpool & Guardians of the Galaxy 3 but only if I am going with my niece & nephew but I won't go see Thor Ragnarok.