What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by jeremycoe »

StarBrand wrote:Is Black Hammer a mini-series?
No, I'm pretty sure it's ongoing.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Cool. It looks interesting.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

DC Comics: Bombshells#1-19 and Annual #1 Which all-in-all a pretty good series, even if it does a bit has more characters than it needs. The concept is a re-imagined DCU set during WWII where several of the female superheroes Batwoman, Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, Supergirl, Stargirl, Mera, Zatanna, Poison Ivy, The Huntress, Catwoman, Rene Montoya, Amanda Waller, and many others team up to battle to the Joker's Daughter, demons, and the Nazis. While on the homefront a group of Batwoman's fans team up as the Batgirls and the Robins. The series is pretty nuts but it's just a lot of fun to see the DC's female heroes and villains reworked into some surprising ways and with new takes and all-new origins in some cases and yes there are some of the male characters Bruce Wayne, Steve Trevor, Tim Drake, Jason Todd, John Constantine, Lex Luthor, and The Joker all appear and/or mentioned but in some new ways (Batwoman saves Bruce and his parents and he thinks she's cool). It's written with 3 stories and/or characters each drawn by different artist with a pair of 2 part stories (#11/12 and #17/18 respectfully with #13 and #19 being the stories from the homefront) being big "season finale" type blow out stories. If you like an alternate world take on WWII, fantasy, female superheroes, romance both straight and lesbian, action, intrigue, and humor then this is a series for you. If you don't like any of that than pretty much stay away from it.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

My current pull list is as follows:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (best book on the stands for the last few years)
TMNT Universe
Faith
Gen Zero (on the verge of dropping)
Harbinger: Renegades
Superman
Action Comics
Batman
Detective Comics
Supergirl
Superwoman
Flash
Aquaman
Cyborg
Green Lanterns
Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps
Titans (weakest of the DC books I'm reading, but...Wally West!)
Ultimate (on the verge of dropping)
Thanos
Star Trek: Waypoint
Star Trek: Boldly Go

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

grendeljd wrote:Been re-reading the Marvel run of GIJoe lately and enjoying it *immensely*. I got the last 4 issues I've been missing about a year ago (15, 18,19 & 20) & have wanted to do this ever since. Those 4 issues really filled in a lot of blanks I never knew about from later on in the series.

Currently at #48, I have every issue up to #120.
Recently finished off re-reading 1-120 (although I mostly skim-read 110-120, they get kind of awful as the art shifts to an "extreme 90's" trendy look). I can see why I dropped it at #120 back in the day - although I do remain curious about the last 5~10 issues of the run.

It was very enjoyable to revisit them all though, the writing by Hama really was excellent for a series based on & heavily content-dictated by a toyline. I particularly liked the way he made fun of the sillier stuff he had to include over those years, and the way he maturely shifted Cobra from a simple 2-bit 'evil' enemy to a functioning criminal empire that largely dealt with arms-dealing in foreign countries.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Started a re-read of Incredible Hulk vol. 2 (1999 series). Haven't looked at these in years - I remember being disappointed with the ending of vol.1 at #474, and especially as it was done for the sake of the semi-weak story written by Byrne in the first 8 issues. They still feel kind of phoned in, although I do like the art by Ron Garney.

I'm already up to #22, and the stories by Paul Jenkins are still quite good - I liked that he explored the multiple personality disorder aspect of Bruce Banner as much as he did, and brought back Joe Fixit & the "Professor" incarnations from Peter David's run.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

grendeljd wrote:Started a re-read of Incredible Hulk vol. 2 (1999 series). Haven't looked at these in years - I remember being disappointed with the ending of vol.1 at #474, and especially as it was done for the sake of the semi-weak story written by Byrne in the first 8 issues. They still feel kind of phoned in, although I do like the art by Ron Garney.

I'm already up to #22, and the stories by Paul Jenkins are still quite good - I liked that he explored the multiple personality disorder aspect of Bruce Banner as much as he did, and brought back Joe Fixit & the "Professor" incarnations from Peter David's run.
I think I've petered out on my re-read of Hulk vol. 2 here... I read up to 82, skipped the House of M crossover issues & read 87 (last issue written by Peter David), flipped through the dull 4 part story that set up the start of the Planet Hulk storyline... and I've lost interest for now. Not in the mood to re-read Planet Hulk/World War Hulk at the moment.

A few additional observations;

I think the issues written by Paul Jenkins (11-32) were ultimately my favourite of this volume. Really enjoyed his take on the personality disorder concept. It's a shame that with the exception of *one* dialogue bubble in one issue of Peter David's run (77-87), there was never any mention of the Devil Hulk after Jenkins run. I thought it was a cool idea, even if straying a bit from the core idea of the Hulk personas all being big brutes of one kind or another. Issues 24 & 25 stand side by side with any of the best Hulk stories ever written before or since - powerful, emotional stuff with an epic confrontation with the Abomination in them.

VEI's Warren Simons was an assistant editor for a stretch on Hulk once Bruce Jones got rolling with his big run (34-76). I can see some elements of this run that Warren may have brought with him to VEI... primarily the idea of tinkering with the high concept of the character & presenting a new spin on it - much like what they've been doing with Bloodshot Reborn, Wrath Of Eternal Warrior and now XO.

Bruce Jones' issues have a decidedly heavy thematic shift to a "Fugitive meets X-Files" idea wherein we barely see the Hulk appear for long stretches, and instead focus on Banner in a huge secret conspiracy to acquire some Hulk blood. In this re-read, I did not enjoy this overall idea in execution as much as I did back when it was being published. Primarily, I think it dragged out far too long before the final revelation occurred in 75 & 76. That was over 40 issues of a secret clandestine organization constantly trying to get a sample of Hulk blood (had to only come from Banner when in Hulk form, not his normal human form) for some unknown purpose, and failing.

I think these stories peaked in quality around #50, where the Abomination returned. That was once again some pretty powerful emotional stuff that also built on the two-part story by Jenkins previously. Beyond that point, I think Jones messed with all the core Hulk characters a little too much, making everyone seem a little more despicable than necessary in an attempt to write more mature subject matter.

And elements of the final revelation of who/what was behind this whole conspiracy actually kind of contradicted some previous continuity. Not a great way to finish up.

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

Foolkiller from Marvel.

I wasn't a fan of the character, wasn't expecting to like it, but i ended up really liking it.

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.

Post by possumgrease »

Goon. I'm late to the party, but this series is great. Reading through the library volumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.

Post by caxiotis »

possumgrease wrote:Goon. I'm late to the party, but this series is great. Reading through the library volumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's one of my favorite books. Enjoy
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

I just finished the three "Velvet" trades by Brubaker. Caxiotis turned me onto this series and I absolutely loved it. This would make an epic spy movie. I give the series 5/5 stars and I look forward to more adventures for Ms. Velvet Templeton. :thumb:

Mkb28

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I'm continuing in my reading of Silver Age Masterworks.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

possumgrease
What comics are you reading now?

Post by possumgrease »

Finished up Goon and started Bryan Talbot's The Arkwright Integral.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

StarBrand wrote:I'm continuing in my reading of Silver Age Masterworks.
Check the credits in whatever masterworks editions you've got - unless I am mistaken, I'm pretty sure one of the board members here (Donovan) did the re-colouring on some of those. :thumb:

Zhuge1
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Zhuge1 »

I just read the first trade for Southern B@stards from Image. Anyone else reading that?
Last edited by Zhuge1 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:26:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.

Post by ShadowTuga »

Starting this week, I am collecting the HC Marvel collection by Salvat. These books are freaking amazing in the quality dept. Very good translations and the selection of titles is real cool- lots of classics in there, along with some newer stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqmN1cGuoIQ

Gotta scratch that Marvel itch. Will not buy another floppy by the HoI ever again, I think, but these classic (and not so) stories in a superb format won me over.

EDIT - Well, judging by the first volume, this is probably, the best Marvel collection yet, when it comes to dressing. They started with "Coming Home", which is a bit weird, but they do an excellent job in giving you the background for the story. Plus sketches, covers, interviews with JMS and JRJR, gallery + info (1st app) on animal-inspired Spidey villains (I'm guessing the Goblins, Kraven, the Venom-Carnage guys, Electro, Sandman, etc, etc, will all show up in the next SM volumes) :hope: - It's a really cool feature.

Next is Avengers: Disassembled, which I dug at the time. :thumb: Wonder if it holds.

Highlights of this collection, imho, are the Planet Hulk, WWH, OML, Reborn, "Wolverine" v.1, Extremis, Whedon/Cassaday's Astonishing X-Men, "Who is the Black Panther", OG Secret Wars and Schism volumes.
Only downside: it is a shame that my man Marc Spector will not have its book. :|
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

Read the March trilogy this weekend. Being from the area, it really resonated with me. Still hard to believe all that took place not that long ago. There's been progress, but still a long way to go.

Also read the deluxe Uncle Sam this weekend. Forgot how much I enjoyed that one.

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

Zhuge1 wrote:I just read the first trade for Southern B@stards from Image. Anyone else reading that?
I love this series and have read the first two trades. Waiting to pick up Volume 3. Good stuff! Makes me want to read "Scalped" from the same writer.

Mkb28

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

mkb28 wrote:I just finished the three "Velvet" trades by Brubaker. Caxiotis turned me onto this series and I absolutely loved it. This would make an epic spy movie. I give the series 5/5 stars and I look forward to more adventures for Ms. Velvet Templeton. :thumb:

Mkb28
Yes and yes! Great series!
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

I just finished "WinterWorld: Better Angels, Colder Hearts" TPB from Chuck Dixon and IDW Comics. I love these post-apocalyptic type stories and this is one of my favorites. I really enjoyed the first "WinterWorld" series from Chuck Dixon and I was happy to see additional stories for these characters. The new TPB ended on a cliff hanger, so I am hoping more stories are on the way. :hope: Here is the synopsis from IDW:

"The apocalyptic tale of an Earth turned into an icy hell continues in these new stories that pick up where the original graphic novel left off. Follow Scully and Wynn as they travel across a brutal world in search of Wynn’s parents only to find that the coldest place on Earth is the human heart. Collects the eight-issue series plus the never-before collected Frozen Fleet mini-series."

I am also waiting for the new "Frostbite" TPB from DC Vertigo and here is the synopsis:

"Long after Earth has entered its second ice age, humanity has learned to cope with the frozen elements. In this cold and bleak future, heat is power, and brutal gangs roam the icy wasteland looking for it. If that wasn’t enough, a terrible disease nicknamed “frostbite” is literally freezing people from the inside out. Once you catch it, the effect is instantaneous. There is no immunity, there is no cure."

Mkb28

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

Not that they are new, but I 've been reading Jonah Hex related books, read the Palmotti/Gray run, Weird Western Tales new and old runs. I am now reading the Jonah Hex Volume 1 issues. I have to say these have held up very well and in some instances better than some silver age Marvel books.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

maraxusofkeld wrote:Not that they are new, but I 've been reading Jonah Hex related books, read the Palmotti/Gray run, Weird Western Tales new and old runs. I am now reading the Jonah Hex Volume 1 issues. I have to say these have held up very well and in some instances better than some silver age Marvel books.
#50 is a great standalone story.
ASM Crossover Home

maraxusofkeld
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

400yrs wrote:
maraxusofkeld wrote:Not that they are new, but I 've been reading Jonah Hex related books, read the Palmotti/Gray run, Weird Western Tales new and old runs. I am now reading the Jonah Hex Volume 1 issues. I have to say these have held up very well and in some instances better than some silver age Marvel books.
#50 is a great standalone story.

Hey man, great to see you posting. I haven't seen you on the boards in awhile. :thumb:

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

On a strong mutie mood: re-reading early-mid Claremont-era Uncanny , early-mid X-Factor, all of the first volume of New Mutants, X-Men/NXM/Legacy and Whedon's Astonishing.
Then I will return back in time to kill Magnetoread AoA. I just freaking love, love, love this crossover. Nothing like it before or since, imho.

I missed these characters and their convoluted drama-filled lifes more than I thought. This move by Marvel to finally put the mutants on the spotlight again (RessurXion), after that AvX disgrace, is to applaud.

And riffing on that, who in their right mind would think that the *SQUEE* Inhumans could be as cool, important and relevant to the Marvel U as the X-Men?!
A guy or gal behind a desk at Disney offices and saying "these Fox movies SUCK because we don't own them" , that's who. :mad:

I hope that the "war" is over (pun intended) and that the HoI has finally got their minds straight. Even if they don't make mutie movies, don't spit on the fans of the books. I haven't read anything new from the X line since 2012 (basically since NOW! or whenever Uncanny X-Force by Remender ended), but I am going to at least try some of these new titles. Astonishing has an EXCELLENT roster, Weapon X has a great premise, roster and creative team, X-Men Gold looks like THE X-Book to follow and even X-Men Blue seems fun (I never read anything with the time displaced OG5, but I would not mind trying it- I really liked the "Children of the Atom" mini with its modern take on these characters. :hm: ).

I think I finally am starting to make peace with Marvel. I guess. I hope.
I just have to stick with my corner of old and avoid looking at all the other perversions happening :lol: I saw a Marvel poster one of these days and I can't say that I actually knew a LOT of characters in there. A freaking Marvel poster. Where all of the famous faces should be- instead, there was a half-naked girl named America, some dorky little kid with glasses (Moon Girl), the freaking Gwen-somethings, the *SQUEE*-hawk Hulk, the Jane Thor, Iron-teen girl, Teen Ms. Marvel and of course, the Guardians (I love the GotG movie and can't wait for Vol. 2- but *SQUEE* me, these characters are now everywhere, out of nowhere).

Kinda, sort of wish they made a Classic Marvel line at this point, or something like that. I want to see the old dudes and dudettes, not these SJW characters. If they have their audience, fine. But they could leave something for the old guard, pretty please.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Funny coincidence, 'Tuga - I started re-reading my Uncanny Xmen comics last week! I started at #95, it's the oldest issue I have. Not sure how far I'll go up to yet. I'm quite comfortable with enjoying all my old favourite Marvel comics and not worrying about what they're currently publishing. I hadn't heard about this recent big boost to the Xmen line though...