What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by GGSAE »

I just read the Saga of Swamp Thing TPB, amazing stuff!

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

GGSAE wrote:I just read the Saga of Swamp Thing TPB, amazing stuff!
It's soo awesome, isn't it? I read vol.1 & 2 earlier this year for the first time - it blows me away how good it is. It's still on my radar to read the rest of Moore's run.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

So I finished the second Saga trade. It's really good, but the unnecessary graphic sex is totally ruining it for me (I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but it really frustrates me). The deformed giant penis was the least offensive example - the worst is the crap that pops up on the Android prince's screen/face.

Overall, I find it extremely overrated. It is really good, but I'm totally at a loss to its Eisner awards and praise. There are many better books out there, including many VEI books (Harbinger, early Bloodshot, Archer and Armstrong, Unity). Revival, East of West, Manhattan Projects, TWD, and Chew all make this series look juvenile in comparison. I really can't figure out why everyone says this is THE best comic of all time. Fiona Staples is awesome, though. What a talented artist.

Bottom line - I like the story despite the gratuitous shock images and want to see where the story goes, but I'm only picking this up if I can get digital copies at the rate I got then through the Humble Bundle (around $0.50 an isssue) - it's not worth more than that to me.

On the other hand, I'm about two issues into Fatale - whoa. This looks like it's going to be awesome. Art is a little odd, but it seems pulpy which fits the story. I'm hooked this early. Is this being developed into TV or anything? If not, it needs to be.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

lorddunlow wrote:So I finished the second Saga trade. It's really good, but the unnecessary graphic sex is totally ruining it for me (I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but it really frustrates me). The deformed giant penis was the least offensive example - the worst is the crap that pops up on the Android prince's screen/face.

Overall, I find it extremely overrated. It is really good, but I'm totally at a loss to its Eisner awards and praise. There are many better books out there, including many VEI books (Harbinger, early Bloodshot, Archer and Armstrong, Unity). Revival, East of West, Manhattan Projects, TWD, and Chew all make this series look juvenile in comparison. I really can't figure out why everyone says this is THE best comic of all time. Fiona Staples is awesome, though. What a talented artist.

Bottom line - I like the story despite the gratuitous shock images and want to see where the story goes, but I'm only picking this up if I can get digital copies at the rate I got then through the Humble Bundle (around $0.50 an isssue) - it's not worth more than that to me.

On the other hand, I'm about two issues into Fatale - whoa. This looks like it's going to be awesome. Art is a little odd, but it seems pulpy which fits the story. I'm hooked this early. Is this being developed into TV or anything? If not, it needs to be.

In regard to Saga, I find it completely overrated and don't get the fanfare for the book. It has nothing to do with the sexuality (It doesn't offend me)....Aside from a "don't-know-what-happens-next" feel to the storyline, I find nothing appealing about the writing. That said, I didn't like Y: The Last Man, so it may just be that Vaughan's writing doesn't click with me.

As for Fatale......It starts off strong, but it ends up going into a lull for several issues (Predominantly the Seattle storyline). After that, it picks up again, but I don't feel the charm that it had in the earlier issues. I'm still picking the title up, until the end, just to see what happens and also to see if there's a pay-off.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Savant wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:So I finished the second Saga trade. It's really good, but the unnecessary graphic sex is totally ruining it for me (I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but it really frustrates me). The deformed giant penis was the least offensive example - the worst is the crap that pops up on the Android prince's screen/face.

In regard to Saga, I find it completely overrated and don't get the fanfare for the book. It has nothing to do with the sexuality (It doesn't offend me)....Aside from a "don't-know-what-happens-next" feel to the storyline, I find nothing appealing about the writing. That said, I didn't like Y: The Last Man, so it may just be that Vaughan's writing doesn't click with me.

As for Fatale......It starts off strong, but it ends up going into a lull for several issues (Predominantly the Seattle storyline). After that, it picks up again, but I don't feel the charm that it had in the earlier issues. I'm still picking the title up, until the end, just to see what happens and also to see if there's a pay-off.
Yeah, even without the shock aspects that turn me off in Saga, I don't see it as a great book. BKV seems to be saying "hey, look how awesome I am" throughout the book. I see it as poor writing skill when you can find the writer in the work (I don't know if that statement makes any sense to anyone else, but that us the best way I can describe it). Reading Saga has actually turned me off of reading Y: The Last Man.

I just finished the first trade of Fatale - it was awesome! I'll probably be buying the rest now. It is right up my alley. It's like the most awesome episode of Tales from the Crypt, but it's a comic book (oh wait, Tales from the Crypt was a comic first wasn't it?

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

grendeljd wrote:
It's soo awesome, isn't it? I read vol.1 & 2 earlier this year for the first time - it blows me away how good it is. It's still on my radar to read the rest of Moore's run.
Ya, and I learned of the first appearance of Constantine is in the first trade. He's completely immaterial to the plot, and the market probably won't care that much about it long-term, but he's there.....

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

lorddunlow wrote:
Savant wrote:

Yeah, even without the shock aspects that turn me off in Saga, I don't see it as a great book. BKV seems to be saying "hey, look how awesome I am" throughout the book. I see it as poor writing skill when you can find the writer in the work (I don't know if that statement makes any sense to anyone else, but that us the best way I can describe it). Reading Saga has actually turned me off of reading Y: The Last Man.

I just finished the first trade of Fatale - it was awesome! I'll probably be buying the rest now. It is right up my alley. It's like the most awesome episode of Tales from the Crypt, but it's a comic book (oh wait, Tales from the Crypt was a comic first wasn't it?
I'm probably 4-5 issues behind in my reading, but from what I've read up to Saga is very good. I would put it as one of the best books I've read in the lately, but there's a lot I haven't read lately. I think there is a lot of hype to Saga, to say it's hands-down the best book written now...very subjective.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

For what it's worth, the images on the Prince's TV head screen will be explained in the third volume, if you make it that far. :) I am enjoying the story and the artwork is amazing, but I scratch my head at some of the sexual images too.

Mkb28

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

lorddunlow wrote:
mkb28 wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:
mkb28 wrote:Just read the Volume 1 trade of "Red Team" from Garth Ennis and Dynamite. The volume collects issues 1-7. Gritty crime drama with a surprise twist that you don't see coming at the end. Great read! :thumb:

Looking forward to reading my #1 issue of "Caliban" from Ennis and Avatar. Also plan to start reading the Volume 1 trade of "Bedlam" from Nick Spencer and Image Comics.

Mkb28
Caliban 1 was good enough to convince me to grab #2
Thanks, KJ! Looking forward to reading it.

I read the first issue of Bedlam last night and was so confused. I think I need another read, but so far, I am not enjoying it.

Mkb28
I bailed on Bedlam after falling asleep trying to read the third issue for like the 10th time. It's just not any good.
This book may not be worth a re-read attempt and it may be time to pull the rip cord. Thanks for your insights. :thumb:

Mkb28

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Recent reads:

Walking Dead #127 - really enjoyed this of new direction it's heading in. the Carl stuff was awesome.

ASM #2 - Dan Slott is really writing some good fun spidey stories. i'm really digging this book. i like the anna maria character i'm glad it seems like they're keeping her around.

Thor God of Thunder #22 - this is without a doubt one of my favorite books overall. I can't freakin wait to see the conclusion of the Thor/Galactus battle. I wish Eternal Warrior was written more like this book.

Saga #19 - I know there is haters out there and they would really hate the first page of this one. but i love this book man, it's crude at times but it's daring and exciting. and it has some great characters. the cliffhanger at the end was awesome.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:Recent reads:

Walking Dead #127 - really enjoyed this of new direction it's heading in. the Carl stuff was awesome.

ASM #2 - Dan Slott is really writing some good fun spidey stories. i'm really digging this book. i like the anna maria character i'm glad it seems like they're keeping her around.

Thor God of Thunder #22 - this is without a doubt one of my favorite books overall. I can't freakin wait to see the conclusion of the Thor/Galactus battle. I wish Eternal Warrior was written more like this book.

Saga #19 - I know there is haters out there and they would really hate the first page of this one. but i love this book man, it's crude at times but it's daring and exciting. and it has some great characters. the cliffhanger at the end was awesome.
Ribic's depiction of Old Galactus is stunning as has been their battle so far. :thumb:

Yeah, been loving ASM so far as well. Slott writing is fun and has flair, seeing Peter having to prove to everyone that he is 'back' has been entertaining. And I'm growing to like Anna-Maria as well, hope she sticks around for quite awhile. (And another item I loved, the footnotes relating to FF if readers want to know what's up with Johnny Storm being powerless. I can't recall the last time I saw something like that in a Marvel comic, very good).

Just finished reading newuniversal mini by Ellis and Larocca. Now I see more clearly it's influences in Hickman's current Avengers work. Ellis once again does quite the amazing job in expanding some of the original ideas of Marvel's New Universe. It's irritating that it ended on a cliffhanger though. Have to track down the remaining one-shots now to see what happens next.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

GGSAE wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Ya, and I learned of the first appearance of Constantine is in the first trade. He's completely immaterial to the plot, and the market probably won't care that much about it long-term, but he's there.....
I did not realize [or forgot] that appearance by Constantine predates his own title... :hm:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

String wrote:Just finished reading newuniversal mini by Ellis and Larocca. Now I see more clearly it's influences in Hickman's current Avengers work. Ellis once again does quite the amazing job in expanding some of the original ideas of Marvel's New Universe. It's irritating that it ended on a cliffhanger though. Have to track down the remaining one-shots now to see what happens next.
That is a top favourite book for me. I'm still not over the fact that Warren lost all his scripts for newunversal in a computer crash & never finished what he started there. :cry:

I was really hoping to see Hickman do more with the NewU characters brought into Avengers than what he has done so far.

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

String wrote: Ribic's depiction of Old Galactus is stunning as has been their battle so far. :thumb:
indeed sir :thumb:

Ribic's art throughout the whole series has been amazing. heck even the "filler" issues between Ribic's art with Nic Klein or Ron Garney on The Accursed arc have been really great.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PSN- gorakthebunny

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

grendeljd wrote:
GGSAE wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
I did not realize [or forgot] that appearance by Constantine predates his own title... :hm:
It's pretty common knowledge that Constantine's first app was #37, it turns out it's #25 (although they'll be a lot of naysayers disputing this fact).

String

Post by String »

grendeljd wrote:
String wrote:Just finished reading newuniversal mini by Ellis and Larocca. Now I see more clearly it's influences in Hickman's current Avengers work. Ellis once again does quite the amazing job in expanding some of the original ideas of Marvel's New Universe. It's irritating that it ended on a cliffhanger though. Have to track down the remaining one-shots now to see what happens next.
That is a top favourite book for me. I'm still not over the fact that Warren lost all his scripts for newunversal in a computer crash & never finished what he started there. :cry:

I was really hoping to see Hickman do more with the NewU characters brought into Avengers than what he has done so far.
Oh, is that what happened? I thought it ended due to something from Marvel Editorial or whatnot. Oops, oh well. Stupid modern technology! :!:

Well Hickman co-opted the process for the Builders and while there has been some development with Nightmask and Starbrand, I don't think it's been enough to really invest the readers in those characters just yet. Avengers World #4 had a good character story for Starbrand, dealing with his guilt over destroying his high school and killing his classmates when he received his powers.

String

Post by String »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
String wrote: Ribic's depiction of Old Galactus is stunning as has been their battle so far. :thumb:

Ribic's art throughout the whole series has been amazing. heck even the "filler" issues between Ribic's art with Nic Klein or Ron Garney on The Accursed arc have been really great.
Yes, it's a big plus when the fill-in artist is so talented as well. Das Pastoras' art for the one-shot story in #18 was amazing. They seriously need to bring him back at some point.

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

String wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:

Yes, it's a big plus when the fill-in artist is so talented as well. Das Pastoras' art for the one-shot story in #18 was amazing. They seriously need to bring him back at some point.
oh yeah i forgot who did that one. that was a great one shot with the dragon :lol:

PSN- gorakthebunny

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

I was behind on Revival, but I bought the issues I was missing and read 17 - 20 just now. This book is so good. Dana and Martha Cypress may be my favorite characters in any recent book.

Getting ready to read the Chew/Revival crossover now.

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

lorddunlow wrote:I was behind on Revival, but I bought the issues I was missing and read 17 - 20 just now. This book is so good. Dana and Martha Cypress may be my favorite characters in any recent book.

Getting ready to read the Chew/Revival crossover now.
I just picked up issues 1, 3 and 4 of "Revival" at a local Con plus the Volume 2 trade. I hear this is an excellent series so I am excited to read it. I am going to order the Volume 1 trade first to get started.

Mkb28

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

So I read the Chew half of the Chew/Revival crossover. I wasn't sure about that kind of humor in the Revival world, but it was hilarious and faithful to both series. :?

I started on the Revival half, but it was really late and I was falling asleep so I just stopped after the first page. It seemed really good - the art actually seemed a bit above the quality of the regular series (which is great to begin with - also Mike Norton is coming to Memphis in September!)

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

I just got back from the library again. They are lighter by 27 TPBs and HCs of comic stuff. I returned 17, and it only took me 10 days to read it all, including one Essential Captain America volume. I will update my list after this stack.

:D

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

slym2none wrote:I just got back from the library again. They are lighter by 27 TPBs and HCs of comic stuff. I returned 17, and it only took me 10 days to read it all, including one Essential Captain America volume. I will update my list after this stack.

-slym
I love my local library too! :thumb: What a great way to try out a series. I just picked up and read the first two volumes of an "American Vampire," volume 1 of the New 52 "Green Arrow" and "Manhattan Projects."

Mkb28

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

mkb28 wrote:
slym2none wrote:I just got back from the library again. They are lighter by 27 TPBs and HCs of comic stuff. I returned 17, and it only took me 10 days to read it all, including one Essential Captain America volume. I will update my list after this stack.

-slym
I love my local library too! :thumb: What a great way to try out a series.
+1 - TPB's at my local library got me through some tough times in the past. :thumb:

And I stumbled across Planetary via the library... Probably my second all-time favourite comic series behind Grendel.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Velvet #1-4. It's a spy comic more realistic than the James Bond movies and Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. and is about a female secret agent who has to come out of retirement in the late 60s after several agents are killed and she is framed for their deaths and Velvet can kick butt better than her male counterparts. I've yet to read any of Ed Bruebeaker's run on Captain America but I do find this book very enjoyable a lot of fun.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!