What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by 400yrs »

Calexit #1. This is the first Black Mask book I've read and it won't be the last. This is a good story about California's secession. It was a good setup story introducing the world. If you liked DMZ check this out.

I like reading stories like this that show where we could possibly be if we continue closer and closer toward a police state under asseclowne Trump and his close minded appointees such as Jeff Sessions. These stories layout what could be if enough people finally get sick of the direction our country is taking.

Is there anything else from Black Mask that is good?
ASM Crossover Home

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

I enjoyed Young Terrorist and There's No Going Home.

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

possumgrease wrote:I enjoyed Young Terrorist and There's No Going Home.
We Can Never Go Home. Get it right man.

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

possumgrease wrote:
No need for the aggressive tone.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Young Jihadists and No Place Like Home. Got it!
ASM Crossover Home

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

possumgrease wrote:
possumgrease wrote:
:funnypost:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Zhuge1
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Zhuge1 »

Just read Perseopolis (not exactly a comic, but a graphic novel). Quite interesting, especially for anyone interested in modern history.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

ShadowTuga wrote:
possumgrease wrote:
possumgrease wrote:
I said to my self, "Self!" :lol:

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

400yrs wrote:Calexit #1. This is the first Black Mask book I've read and it won't be the last. This is a good story about California's secession. It was a good setup story introducing the world. If you liked DMZ check this out.

I like reading stories like this that show where we could possibly be if we continue closer and closer toward a police state under asseclowne Trump and his close minded appointees such as Jeff Sessions. These stories layout what could be if enough people finally get sick of the direction our country is taking.

Is there anything else from Black Mask that is good?
What did Obama do to tear down the authoritarian nightmare unleashed by Bush? The left has no right to call the right close minded after it told Bill Clinton to shut up and they will win based on identity politics nonsense.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

mkb28 wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
possumgrease wrote:
possumgrease wrote:
I said to my self, "Self!" :lol:
:lol:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I've been really enjoying working my way through re-reading my Uncanny XMen comics. I am specifically aiming to read from #95 (oldest issue I own) up to around 280-ish. Currently at #205. Great fun, and generally a great era of this title.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

I am thinking about buying the "Scalped" HC series from Jason Aaron. I am really enjoying "Southern *SQUEE*" from the same writer. Anyone read this series and do you recommend it?

Thanks,

Michael
Mkb28

ironherc
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by ironherc »

reading blue beetle which is a very big improvement over the previous volume. it had Dr fate and one of my favorite obscure heroes omac.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

mkb28 wrote:I am thinking about buying the "Scalped" HC series from Jason Aaron. I am really enjoying "Southern *SQUEE*" from the same writer. Anyone read this series and do you recommend it?

Thanks,

Michael
Mkb28
Absolutely! Scalped is so good, it's one of the series that I reread every few years. To put it another way, I bought all the singles as they came out and read them right away. Then I bought the tpbs for easier rereading and now I'm working on getting the hardcover because that's my preferred way to read my favorite titles.

If you like Southern *SQUEE*, Scalped has the same grit to it, but has a bit more character stuff to it because it focuses on a handful of characters.

It's among my all time favorites along with Invincible, TWD, Saga and YtLM. Go for it!!!
ASM Crossover Home

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

400yrs wrote:
mkb28 wrote:I am thinking about buying the "Scalped" HC series from Jason Aaron. I am really enjoying "Southern *SQUEE*" from the same writer. Anyone read this series and do you recommend it?

Thanks,

Michael
Mkb28
Absolutely! Scalped is so good, it's one of the series that I reread every few years. To put it another way, I bought all the singles as they came out and read them right away. Then I bought the tpbs for easier rereading and now I'm working on getting the hardcover because that's my preferred way to read my favorite titles.

If you like Southern *SQUEE*, Scalped has the same grit to it, but has a bit more character stuff to it because it focuses on a handful of characters.

It's among my all time favorites along with Invincible, TWD, Saga and YtLM. Go for it!!!
Awesome! Thanks, 400! :thumb:

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Zhuge1 wrote:Just read Perseopolis (not exactly a comic, but a graphic novel). Quite interesting, especially for anyone interested in modern history.
Just finished the sequel to this -- also quite good. Finally now on to the second volume of Ta-Nehisi Coates' run on Black Panther

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

I just wanted to say that I'm really, like seriously really surprised on how good X-Men Gold has been since the beginning. I haven't read anything from the mutants this good ever since Remender's UXF ended.
Can't reccomend enough to fans of 80s but specially 90s fans. This hits all the right buttons. The issue where Kitty goes face-to-face with X-Cutioner (cool "new" character, unrelated to the previous afaik) with a sword, "because she's a ninja, a shadowcat" is amazing x-men comics. Really loving everything that this book has been delivering and honestly, again, I never expected that an x-men book could be THIS good in 2017 Marvel.

The other X-Book i'm reading right now is Astonishing, which if you read the webz, is really a gamechanger from the get-go, with a last page bomb.I'm intrigued if Charles is a prisioner or if he's trying to take over Shadow King. Only read the first ish. :hm:
Last edited by ShadowTuga on Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Now reading the first 6 issue arc of Marvel's Star Wars series. It's pretty good, but feels somewhat hit or miss to me. What I mean is sometimes it feels as if they've correctly captured the characters, and sometimes the storyline just feels a bit "off," in a hard to define way.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

I actually read a few TPBs the other day, hadn't even looked at anything comic-related in over a year!

Went through all of the Sixth Gun TPB's, wondering of the (?) "Tales Of The Sixth Gun" ones are worth it. Prolly give them a shot. Then I read the first 6 East of West trades, hadn't read anything beyond issue 8 when they were coming out - damn is that an intense read! And then I slogged through all three massive Dark Knight trades. Overall it still holds up well, but some of the issues included were rubbish, and they seemed to miss other issues that should have been in there.

Tryna get the TWD trades that I haven't read from my library, there are 7 I think but someone had been holding on to the next one I need (Vol. 23) forever, I think it's now MIA. They have the next 6 after it...

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Just finished the second volume of Star Wars as well as the first two volumes of Darth Vader

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Zhuge1 wrote:Just finished the second volume of Star Wars as well as the first two volumes of Darth Vader
These were fun comics. I liked what they did with Aphra and Han's "wife" (DV #3 is :!: :!: :!: material to me, I had the chance to get at least 10 copies, they were simply not selling that great in my LCS; just like SW #4 - 1st Sana facepalm facepalm facepalm ), two new cool characters that will surely be in the movies. The evil wookiee was also cool, but I got a bit of deja vu, beinga KOTOR II player. 8-)
I lost a bit of interest around the 1st year and a half, but I remember enjoying them for feeling Star Warsy. :thumb:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

ShadowTuga wrote:
Zhuge1 wrote:Just finished the second volume of Star Wars as well as the first two volumes of Darth Vader
These were fun comics. I liked what they did with Aphra and Han's "wife" (DV #3 is :!: :!: :!: material to me, I had the chance to get at least 10 copies, they were simply not selling that great in my LCS; just like SW #4 - 1st Sana facepalm facepalm facepalm ), two new cool characters that will surely be in the movies. The evil wookiee was also cool, but I got a bit of deja vu, beinga KOTOR II player. 8-)
I lost a bit of interest around the 1st year and a half, but I remember enjoying them for feeling Star Warsy. :thumb:
Yeah, I find Aphra quite interesting. I loaded up on basically all of the digital versions of the TPBs because Amazon had them on sale last week ranging from $1.80 to $3. I'm on to volume 3 of Black Panther now before going back to some of the Star Wars stuff.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Zhuge1 wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
Yeah, I find Aphra quite interesting. I loaded up on basically all of the digital versions of the TPBs because Amazon had them on sale last week ranging from $1.80 to $3. I'm on to volume 3 of Black Panther now before going back to some of the Star Wars stuff.
Mephisto's pants all the way!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT- I am assuming you are referring to Priest's run on BP (vol. 3); or is it the current one, 3rd paperback/HC?
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

ShadowTuga wrote:
Zhuge1 wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
Mephisto's pants all the way!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT- I am assuming you are referring to Priest's run on BP (vol. 3); or is it the current one, 3rd paperback/HC?
The third TPB of Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther series (A Nation Under Our Feet storyline). I'm fairly unfamiliar with the character, but have thought about going back to read the Priest run at some point as well.

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I took a break from my Uncanny Xmen re-read to backtrack & read some early New Mutants starting at #1.

Had to buy a couple of cheap lots of NM off eBay to fill in the stuff I was missing between 10-50... and found out there are a few key early issues of NM that I didn't realize were picking up value. I got a decent copy of Annual #2 [1st Psylocke], but still need to find a copy of #14 [Ist Illyanna as Magik]. Thankfully I already had the 1st Legion issues [25, 26, 27].

Its been a fun read to see how these early issues of NM flow alongside Uncanny Xmen. Lots of stories in XMen from 167~200 make more sense after having read these.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;