What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by superman-prime »

trying to find the pacific rim stuff before the new movie comes out hopeing for a fun read

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

superman-prime wrote:trying to find the pacific rim stuff before the new movie comes out hopeing for a fun read
I got them cheap on a site called bookoutlet.com--and since traded them in at another store. I was disappointed. One was bad, and the other had decent ideas but wasn't worth the price of admission. It's a shame because PR would make a great on going comic series, I think.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

rock m sock m robots vs godzilla sounds like a comic idea idea in heaven pitty

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

The TPB is out, but Spencer and Locke was a great, yet dark book! Found it to be an adult version of Calvin and Hobbs.

Also David Baron's book, Stained will be coming out in TPB. He had a pretty successful run with it, as it was just a 5 book series. He sold out the first three issues of that series, which is pretty good for his rookie effort! I really enjoyed the book, and I enjoyed his story telling
Moose

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I'm reading. list is by longest running.

The walking dead
Xo ManOwar
Bloodshot Salvation
Divinity 3
I Miss the good old days.

WrathOfArmstrong
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

re-read Mr. Diggle's HELLBLAZER: LADY CONSTANTINE mini to gauge my expectations for the new Shadowman. Liked it a lot. Took a bit to hook me, but the final fourth issue delivered.

Finally got on the Paper Girls route, I like it a lot more than Saga so far.

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

I've been reading the Geoff Johns New 52 run of Justice League. I think I've read the first 5 trades. Volume 1 was kind of meh, but I really enjoyed 2-4. Volume 5 was kind of hit and miss for me. I didn't realize it tied into another event (Forever Evil, I think?) so I'll read that next to get more context.
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

picked up usm 1 through 20 for reading

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

There have been quite a few books that I have loved this year. Here are a few:

1.) By Chance Or Providence: Stories by Becky Cloonan - This book has simple stories, but everything about it evokes so much emotion. I love this reprint tpb and wish I would have read it when it was self-published years ago

2.) Giant Days - This is a book that I read immediately every month and am sad that I have to wait for the next one. Its about a group of kids at university in England, has a a lot of humor and a fun atmopshere. (400yrs - you should look into this one).

3.) 4 Kids Walk Into a Bank (Black Mask) - Seriously READ THIS BOOK! It is my top book of 2016, even though it wrapped up earlier this year.

4.) The Dregs (Black Mask) - I can't give enough praise to this book. The art is killer. This tpb is my top book of 2017

5.) Head Lopper - Loving MacLean's art and story. Like Conan, except he is carrying around a witch's head that talks *SQUEE* to him the whole time.
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

geoffs runs normally take a bit to get going set up but after taht off to the races like gl and flash did :clap: :clap: :clap:

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Just read the Captain Phasma series from Marvel, which I found a bit disappointing. Nearly finished with the fourth Black Panther trade from Ta-Nehisi Coates (issues 13-18).

Brother Darque

Post by Brother Darque »

I got three omnibus's for Christmas.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Other than one or two stray issues, I think I'm done with my epic Claremont era X-men re-read that has occupied much of my free time for reading over the last several months. I read everything I own of Uncanny between 95-279 (only missing 6 issues between 97-106), the Wolverine mini-series, the Magick mini-series, the Longshot mini-series, X-factor #1-39 + 60-62, and New Mutants #1-63, +71-73, 87, & 95-97.

*whew!* it was fun, but man that took a long time to get through! I read some of those peripheral x-titles issues for the first time & it was a ton of fun to get more backstory to fill in gaps from mainly only reading Uncanny back in the day.

I also consulted an interesting website that summarizes nearly every issue of every Marvel title up to the mid-nineties, to read quick recaps of XFactor #40~70, and any issues of New Mutants I didn't read myself between #64-100.

There were stretches of those two titles that I knew I didn't want to buy copies of to read, but just wanted to know the essentials of what happens to various characters to see their progression alongside events in Uncanny Xmen up until Claremont left the book.

Gotta say, Louise Simonson was really nowhere near as good at writing these characters as Chris was. Her run on New Mutants was largely a mess of shallow characterization that quickly undid most of what Chris had set up in his 54 issues, and while I did enjoy XFactor a lot more, it kind of petered out once Inferno wrapped up in #39.

And it was very noticeable to see a change (for the worse) in the books as a result of Bob Harris' poor editorial skills - going from respecting Chris' work to handing the keys to the X-kingdom over to the future Image guys. I still really like Jim Lee & all, but man I don't know what people were smoking when they let Rob Liefeld get his hands on New Mutants & turn it into X-Force. I kind of liked his stuff initially back then as a teen, but I dropped off interest pretty quickly by about the 6th issue of X-Force. I think changing the book from 'New Mutants' to a new "X-title" team is something it did need to progress to, but otherwise it was terribly handled. Now, I find all of Liefelds stuff extremely unreadable.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

And next up for me is Legion Of Superheroes: The Great Darkness Saga. Going off a recommendation in another thread from Shadowtuga. I looked into nabbing a digital copy of these issues, and lucked into a 14-issue compilation on comixology for only $5!! The digital trade contains #284-296 plus an annual, which is basically the start of Paul Levitz' writing run.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

grendeljd wrote:I still really like Jim Lee & all, but man I don't know what people were smoking when they let Rob Liefeld get his hands on New Mutants & turn it into X-Force. I kind of liked his stuff initially back then as a teen, but I dropped off interest pretty quickly by about the 6th issue of X-Force. I think changing the book from 'New Mutants' to a new "X-title" team is something it did need to progress to, but otherwise it was terribly handled. Now, I find all of Liefelds stuff extremely unreadable.
That's an interesting point, and one I was thinking about just the other day. I recall buying X-Force when it first came out (probably because it was so hyped as the next big thing). I was in junior high at the time and fairly new to comics. I recall reading the first couple of issues and liking the characters, but not being overwhelmed by the story. Yet for some reason, I continued buying the book and reading it for several years (I'd say I have at least 40-50 issues in total). Similarly, when he moved to Image and started Youngblood and his other books, I bought and read all of that stuff.

Now, as an adult, I'm going back and reading a lot of things from that era via collected editions that I missed out on and was interested in; but I don't think I could ever motivate myself to plow back through those issues these days.

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Zhuge1 wrote:Just read the Captain Phasma series from Marvel, which I found a bit disappointing. Nearly finished with the fourth Black Panther trade from Ta-Nehisi Coates (issues 13-18).
Continuing along with my Black Panther and Star Wars readings, I've now gotten through Marvel's Han Solo, Chewbacca, Lando, and Leia series as well as Black Panther and the Crew. I liked most of those individual character Star Wars series, but the Leia one just wasn't very good.

I found Black Panther and the Crew to be actually a bit more entertaining than the next arc of the Black Panther series (Avengers of the New World), but despite the billing, T'Challa wasn't the main character of that series. I think the notion was that the series would be ongoing, but it was canceled after six issues. None the less, those six issues form a single storyline that works quite well -- each issue is told from the perspective of a different character (Misty Knight, Storm, T'Challa, Luke Cage, Manifold) and the art by Butch Guice is really well done -- I actually purchased some of it after having read the series since I liked it so much.

Continuing in the same vein, next up for me is the Darth Maul series (already started), Obi-Wan and Anakin, and The World of Wakanda.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

reading superman omnibus death and return

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Reading Tales of the Green Lantern Corps Volume 1. It's okay but the stories seem pretty superficial. I want the core concepts of Green Lantern to be less campy than I guess they really are. There is a cool backup story where an aging retired Green Lantern is gardening and confronted by what seems to have been his past arch nemesis and they try to fight and realize they're too old and in the process bust a dam open and end up working together to repair it and go out for dinner afterwards.

Volumes 2 and 3 are next.
***Support your local farmers!***

geocarr
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Reading Tales of the Green Lantern Corps Volume 1. It's okay but the stories seem pretty superficial. I want the core concepts of Green Lantern to be less campy than I guess they really are. There is a cool backup story where an aging retired Green Lantern is gardening and confronted by what seems to have been his past arch nemesis and they try to fight and realize they're too old and in the process bust a dam open and end up working together to repair it and go out for dinner afterwards.

Volumes 2 and 3 are next.
***Support your local farmers!***

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Zhuge1 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:I still really like Jim Lee & all, but man I don't know what people were smoking when they let Rob Liefeld get his hands on New Mutants & turn it into X-Force. I kind of liked his stuff initially back then as a teen, but I dropped off interest pretty quickly by about the 6th issue of X-Force. I think changing the book from 'New Mutants' to a new "X-title" team is something it did need to progress to, but otherwise it was terribly handled. Now, I find all of Liefelds stuff extremely unreadable.
That's an interesting point, and one I was thinking about just the other day. I recall buying X-Force when it first came out (probably because it was so hyped as the next big thing). I was in junior high at the time and fairly new to comics. I recall reading the first couple of issues and liking the characters, but not being overwhelmed by the story. Yet for some reason, I continued buying the book and reading it for several years (I'd say I have at least 40-50 issues in total). Similarly, when he moved to Image and started Youngblood and his other books, I bought and read all of that stuff.

Now, as an adult, I'm going back and reading a lot of things from that era via collected editions that I missed out on and was interested in; but I don't think I could ever motivate myself to plow back through those issues these days.
Yeah, it really doesn't age well. I'd be curious if a modern-day teen audience would find any appeal in it.

One thing I do find fascinating is how good some of Rob's concepts are in the hands of other creators - specifically the Image characters. I love that re-imagined Prophet comic that has been coming out over recent years, it seems to have turned the original idea on its head in a great way. Glory looked like it had an interesting twist to it as well.

You have some tenacious dedication, sticking it out for 40-50 issues on 90's X-Force! :lol:

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

grendeljd wrote: Yeah, it really doesn't age well. I'd be curious if a modern-day teen audience would find any appeal in it.

One thing I do find fascinating is how good some of Rob's concepts are in the hands of other creators - specifically the Image characters. I love that re-imagined Prophet comic that has been coming out over recent years, it seems to have turned the original idea on its head in a great way. Glory looked like it had an interesting twist to it as well.

You have some tenacious dedication, sticking it out for 40-50 issues on 90's X-Force! :lol:
I've never seen any of the Image stuff Liefeld created handled by anyone else -- that would be interesting. I did recently buy a Hawk and Dove (new 52) trade where Liefeld did the art. I haven't read it yet. I primarily bought it to see if his style has evolved since the 90's.

It would be interesting to see if that old X-Force stuff would appeal to modern early teenage audiences. In truth, I didn't really like it past the first half dozen issues, but I continued to read (and complain) about it for several years. Tenacity? Dedication? Perhaps just teenage foolishness :D

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

on GL i like all the geoff stuff very well done

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

superman-prime wrote:on GL i like all the geoff stuff very well done
:thumb: Ha, I just read (last night) the portuguese edition of the Sinestro Corps War, haven't touched this story in ages. I'll maybe even reread Secret Origin during the weekend, haven't read it in a long time as well.
Still hugely entertaining (and awesome to look at, with the occasional loud wow coming out of one's mouth) but my fav part of the Johns GL series has got to be Blackest Night. I wish the next collection of translated DC harcovers over here has that one on it and Rebirth- the GL mini that started the "reboot". I'd like to collect the Johns' saga main series in this format, from Rebirth to War of the Green Lanterns. The new 52 stuff after that... we'll see. :P

I do not follow the Corps in the comics whatsoever nor am I a huge fan of space/cosmic superhero comicbooks but this era of GL is simply amazing. And a "must read" for any new DC fan in order to understand the current uni(multi)verse, in my opinion.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

Read Shirtless Bear Fighter over Christmas, great fun :)
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

those sinestro books were pretty