What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by ShadowTuga »

You guys mentioned Liefeld earlier. I went to my LCS today and bought the TPB with his Deathstroke mini-run, I'm completing a library of "everything" Slade, so I bought it. I payed money for a book by (mostly) Liefeld in 2018. I am that dumb of a man.
Worst thing that I've read with Deathstroke. The first third (1-7) of this series written by Kyle Higgins and drawn by Joe Bennett is entertaining, nothing actually to reccomend but it entertains if you want to read a solo Slade book. Still, there's lots of wrongs there, no wonder this was going to be cancelled at the time, if Liefeld did not came along and brought attention to it. It was a s**** story, but the art makes up for it, at least. Its Deathstroke cutting peeps right and left and it looks bada**. :thumb: (except that the Nu52 sword is stupidly BIG)

But when Liefeld appears, it is horrible, doesn't make any *SQUEE* sense and it looks - again - HORRIBLE, when he was drawing. For a glaring example, check out this piece of crap cover- he did this in 2012, with all the experience he gained:

facepalm facepalm facepalm

Dude sucks. I feel dirty for having payed actual money for this *SQUEE*, hope the Justin Jordan issues make up for it. I can't read any more tonight.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

reading eerie classics hc great stuff

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

ShadowTuga wrote:You guys mentioned Liefeld earlier. I went to my LCS today and bought the TPB with his Deathstroke mini-run, I'm completing a library of "everything" Slade, so I bought it. I payed money for a book by (mostly) Liefeld in 2018. I am that dumb of a man.
Worst thing that I've read with Deathstroke. The first third (1-7) of this series written by Kyle Higgins and drawn by Joe Bennett is entertaining, nothing actually to reccomend but it entertains if you want to read a solo Slade book. Still, there's lots of wrongs there, no wonder this was going to be cancelled at the time, if Liefeld did not came along and brought attention to it. It was a s**** story, but the art makes up for it, at least. Its Deathstroke cutting peeps right and left and it looks bada**. :thumb: (except that the Nu52 sword is stupidly BIG)

But when Liefeld appears, it is horrible, doesn't make any *SQUEE* sense and it looks - again - HORRIBLE, when he was drawing. For a glaring example, check out this piece of crap cover- he did this in 2012, with all the experience he gained:

facepalm facepalm facepalm

Dude sucks. I feel dirty for having payed actual money for this *SQUEE*, hope the Justin Jordan issues make up for it. I can't read any more tonight.
Yikes, dude. Much as I love Slade, I would not have chased after Deathstroke stories written & drawn by Liefeld. <shudder>
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I decided to read the new Robotech comic from Titan comics - got the first 6 issues in digital format. Actually quite good, if you're a Robotech fan looking for a new take on the original series. This series follows the spirit of the original show, but begins to slowly diverge from the original plot line & I like it so far.

Very curious to see what they do with the overall story in the long run, and how much more it will change.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zhuge1
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Zhuge1 »

Zhuge1 wrote:
Zhuge1 wrote:Just read the Captain Phasma series from Marvel, which I found a bit disappointing. Nearly finished with the fourth Black Panther trade from Ta-Nehisi Coates (issues 13-18).
Continuing along with my Black Panther and Star Wars readings, I've now gotten through Marvel's Han Solo, Chewbacca, Lando, and Leia series as well as Black Panther and the Crew. I liked most of those individual character Star Wars series, but the Leia one just wasn't very good.

I found Black Panther and the Crew to be actually a bit more entertaining than the next arc of the Black Panther series (Avengers of the New World), but despite the billing, T'Challa wasn't the main character of that series. I think the notion was that the series would be ongoing, but it was canceled after six issues. None the less, those six issues form a single storyline that works quite well -- each issue is told from the perspective of a different character (Misty Knight, Storm, T'Challa, Luke Cage, Manifold) and the art by Butch Guice is really well done -- I actually purchased some of it after having read the series since I liked it so much.

Continuing in the same vein, next up for me is the Darth Maul series (already started), Obi-Wan and Anakin, and The World of Wakanda.
Continuing along with the Marvel Star Wars stuff, I've now read the Darth Maul miniseries (eh... not a huge fan of this character); Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir (reprint of a mini that Dark Horse originally released -- was a bit better, honestly, and is based on stuff from the Clone Wars animated series which I've not seen); and Obi-Wan and Anakin (takes place after Episode 1 and was pretty good).

Also started reading Saga from Image since they had the first trade at the local library.

WrathOfArmstrong
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

I was captivated by Saga, but I definitely preferred Paper Girls. I found them to be similar in emotional core and a variation on the same concept... visually absurd vs. a grounded reality. But a lot of Saga seems to be shock for shock value (or read vulgar for vulgar sake), where as the strange and odd is part of the story of Paper Girls.

I've been on a Cullen Bunn kick as I await more Harrow County, I've checked out a few of his one offs, but have really enjoyed Sixth Gun. Helheim was a great idea that has yet (if it ever will) reached its full potential.

Imaginary Fiends has been real good so far--a proper vertigo title. I think I'll be reading Seely's REVIVAL soon (finally).

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Picked my pull yesterday, already went over all the stuf. Great month, nothing to be OMG (well, maybe a case or 2 among the bat-books, more on that on the "same bat-time, same bat-thread" :P ) but there were some cool surprises.

Deathstroke by Priest is just *SQUEE* HOT right now and it only will get better it seems, with the assassin soon going against Bats for the nth time. :lol: I don't care if peeps are tired of it, I always enjoy these 2 fighting. This series has been a complete surprise. Best Slade book ever written, IMHO.

X-Men Gold: Read all of the Negative War stuff and the annual with Excalibur. The latter is actually hilarious X-Men comics, lighthearted and with a new character (literally, she's a baby) that is just fun as hell to read. Second half of the book is a shortie that really gets the job done of giving Storm the spotlight and explaining the fascination that so many of us have with these particular characters (mutants). I'd reccomend the book if you're following the main series, fun(ny) read.
As for the main story arc in the series, just meh. I guess? The greatest hits of the X-Men era is over, but this New Stuff did nothing for me. I'm glad this will be over with 30, otherwise I would cancel it soon. One can take so many repeated tricks and nostalgia easter eggs. I love Kitty as a leader and the team is cool, but Guggenheim did not made the next step in the book for it to be a must-read at all (after 12 issues or so). That's bad for the (supposedly) flagship book of the franchise as of now.

Astonishing X-Men is really much more of a mature book, and something that an adult well-read in the X-lore will appreciate. I am digging this like a lot. Its a maxi ending in June, but it has been very intriguing and mysterious in its main plot, regarding Professor X. And now,Proteus. :clap: :clap: :clap:

East of West... pushed yet another month. Hickman is slacking this one. I want this story to end, the schedule has been disheartening to follow. :!: :!: :!:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Paper girls hardcover 1 - Good stuff. Definitely sticking with this in hardcover, but I'm probably missing out on the letter column in the singles.

The Further Adventures of Nick Wilson #1 - Wow. I hadn't heard of this one before, nor am I familiar with the writer, but this was enjoyable. The story is of a super hero after he has lost his powers. Pretty interesting so far. The art is cartoony, but good.
ASM Crossover Home

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

picked up first 2 new krypton hcs

looking forward to them

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

ShadowTuga wrote:
East of West... pushed yet another month. Hickman is slacking this one. I want this story to end, the schedule has been disheartening to follow. :!: :!: :!:
I've got the the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th TPB for this series -- waiting on Amazon to ship me the first one.

Several have mentioned Paper Girls and that sounds interesting -- I may have to check that out.

In addition to continuing through the Marvel Star Wars stuff (just finished the Vader Down crossover), I recently read Hulk Gray TPB which I thought was pretty solid. I'm a big fan of Tim Sale's art. I read Billi 99 from Dark Horse not too long ago which was one of his early works.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

ShadowTuga wrote:Picked my pull yesterday, already went over all the stuf. Great month, nothing to be OMG (well, maybe a case or 2 among the bat-books, more on that on the "same bat-time, same bat-thread" :P ) but there were some cool surprises.

Deathstroke by Priest is just *SQUEE* HOT right now and it only will get better it seems, with the assassin soon going against Bats for the nth time. :lol: I don't care if peeps are tired of it, I always enjoy these 2 fighting. This series has been a complete surprise. Best Slade book ever written, IMHO.

X-Men Gold: Read all of the Negative War stuff and the annual with Excalibur. The latter is actually hilarious X-Men comics, lighthearted and with a new character (literally, she's a baby) that is just fun as hell to read. Second half of the book is a shortie that really gets the job done of giving Storm the spotlight and explaining the fascination that so many of us have with these particular characters (mutants). I'd reccomend the book if you're following the main series, fun(ny) read.
As for the main story arc in the series, just meh. I guess? The greatest hits of the X-Men era is over, but this New Stuff did nothing for me. I'm glad this will be over with 30, otherwise I would cancel it soon. One can take so many repeated tricks and nostalgia easter eggs. I love Kitty as a leader and the team is cool, but Guggenheim did not made the next step in the book for it to be a must-read at all (after 12 issues or so). That's bad for the (supposedly) flagship book of the franchise as of now.

Astonishing X-Men is really much more of a mature book, and something that an adult well-read in the X-lore will appreciate. I am digging this like a lot. Its a maxi ending in June, but it has been very intriguing and mysterious in its main plot, regarding Professor X. And now,Proteus. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Agree with the East of West schedule. It's driving me crazy.

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Zhuge1 wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
I've got the the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th TPB for this series -- waiting on Amazon to ship me the first one.

Several have mentioned Paper Girls and that sounds interesting -- I may have to check that out.

In addition to continuing through the Marvel Star Wars stuff (just finished the Vader Down crossover), I recently read Hulk Gray TPB which I thought was pretty solid. I'm a big fan of Tim Sale's art. I read Billi 99 from Dark Horse not too long ago which was one of his early works.
+1 to the frustration on East Of West's release schedule... but really, it's an indie creator-owned series. Those guys don't *have* to adhere to a monthly or even semi-regular schedule. It would be nice though. I want to see it through to the end, but I've been getting a little cold on the series as a whole over the last 12 issues. Seems to be spinning it's wheels in places & dragging out from a storytelling perspective.

I am also getting curious about Paper Girls. Always hear good things. I just happened to be looking at a hardcover trade edition of it in a store with my wife the other day, she even seemed curious about it.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
Zhuge1 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:I still really like Jim Lee & all, but man I don't know what people were smoking when they let Rob Liefeld get his hands on New Mutants & turn it into X-Force. I kind of liked his stuff initially back then as a teen, but I dropped off interest pretty quickly by about the 6th issue of X-Force. I think changing the book from 'New Mutants' to a new "X-title" team is something it did need to progress to, but otherwise it was terribly handled. Now, I find all of Liefelds stuff extremely unreadable.
That's an interesting point, and one I was thinking about just the other day. I recall buying X-Force when it first came out (probably because it was so hyped as the next big thing). I was in junior high at the time and fairly new to comics. I recall reading the first couple of issues and liking the characters, but not being overwhelmed by the story. Yet for some reason, I continued buying the book and reading it for several years (I'd say I have at least 40-50 issues in total). Similarly, when he moved to Image and started Youngblood and his other books, I bought and read all of that stuff.

Now, as an adult, I'm going back and reading a lot of things from that era via collected editions that I missed out on and was interested in; but I don't think I could ever motivate myself to plow back through those issues these days.
Yeah, it really doesn't age well. I'd be curious if a modern-day teen audience would find any appeal in it.

One thing I do find fascinating is how good some of Rob's concepts are in the hands of other creators - specifically the Image characters. I love that re-imagined Prophet comic that has been coming out over recent years, it seems to have turned the original idea on its head in a great way. Glory looked like it had an interesting twist to it as well.

You have some tenacious dedication, sticking it out for 40-50 issues on 90's X-Force! :lol:
As I've said many times before. Rob Liefeld is one of the best character designers I've ever seen. Every character he thinks up is super popular with a wide audience.

I love his characters and the designs he thinks up for them.

He should only design the characters though. He is a horrible writer.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Zhuge1 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:I still really like Jim Lee & all, but man I don't know what people were smoking when they let Rob Liefeld get his hands on New Mutants & turn it into X-Force. I kind of liked his stuff initially back then as a teen, but I dropped off interest pretty quickly by about the 6th issue of X-Force. I think changing the book from 'New Mutants' to a new "X-title" team is something it did need to progress to, but otherwise it was terribly handled. Now, I find all of Liefelds stuff extremely unreadable.
That's an interesting point, and one I was thinking about just the other day. I recall buying X-Force when it first came out (probably because it was so hyped as the next big thing). I was in junior high at the time and fairly new to comics. I recall reading the first couple of issues and liking the characters, but not being overwhelmed by the story. Yet for some reason, I continued buying the book and reading it for several years (I'd say I have at least 40-50 issues in total). Similarly, when he moved to Image and started Youngblood and his other books, I bought and read all of that stuff.

Now, as an adult, I'm going back and reading a lot of things from that era via collected editions that I missed out on and was interested in; but I don't think I could ever motivate myself to plow back through those issues these days.
Yeah, it really doesn't age well. I'd be curious if a modern-day teen audience would find any appeal in it.

One thing I do find fascinating is how good some of Rob's concepts are in the hands of other creators - specifically the Image characters. I love that re-imagined Prophet comic that has been coming out over recent years, it seems to have turned the original idea on its head in a great way. Glory looked like it had an interesting twist to it as well.

You have some tenacious dedication, sticking it out for 40-50 issues on 90's X-Force! :lol:
As I've said many times before. Rob Liefeld is one of the best character designers I've ever seen. Every character he thinks up is super popular with a wide audience.

I don't know, man... Rob made *some* great characters, but not everything he came up with had gold in it... when you look at the sheer volume of throwaway characters he spewed out (especially at Marvel), the percentage of good ones is probably low by comparison. Seriously, having recently re-read just the New Mutants, there were a ton of goofy looking, ridiculous characters that were often lazy riffs on specific archetypes tossed into the dozen or so issues of that, plus more for X-Force.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

grendeljd wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Zhuge1 wrote:

I don't know, man... Rob made *some* great characters, but not everything he came up with had gold in it... when you look at the sheer volume of throwaway characters he spewed out (especially at Marvel), the percentage of good ones is probably low by comparison. Seriously, having recently re-read just the New Mutants, there were a ton of goofy looking, ridiculous characters that were often lazy riffs on specific archetypes tossed into the dozen or so issues of that, plus more for X-Force.
Maybe it was just me that liked them then...

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Liefeld created tons of characters. Deadpool is the only one that had a life after the stoopid 90s. And on that, Deadpool is basically Deathstroke with Spidey's (2) eyes and a cool color scheme. And DP is a joke if not well written, something that is not on Liefeld's DNA. Best DP stories are by other writers.

What I'm trying to say is- he has lots of unoriginal ideas. Always comes back to a) dude with swords b) dude with HUGE guns c) female with almost no waist WITH HUGE guns d) Wolverine rip-offs.
Mix at wiil. Add pouches and face socks.

And here's the latest Liefeld Young'one - SHATTERSTORM. I am not making this up. :lol:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BecK7K5lsnT ... robliefeld
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

I feel like I'm being ostracized on these forums due to my love of DDD Captain America...

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

lorddunlow wrote:I feel like I'm being ostracized on these forums due to my love of DDD Captain America...
There are other reasons too, but yeah, let's go with that. :wink:

Viva la boycott jmatt!!
***Support your local farmers!***

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

Yamamoto Tsunetomo

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

^oiy!!

facepalm
lorddunlow wrote:I feel like I'm being ostracized on these forums due to my love of DDD Captain America...

You love those healthy-man-side-boob-from-the-front-profile-wait-whaaaat?! pectorals, eh? We don't judge!

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Man... I love me some Liefeld hair and weird face/hair accessories...

Almost as much as I love McFarlane chains and webs.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

I don't agree with Dunlow on everything, but I'm with him on Liefeld.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

jeremycoe wrote:I don't agree with Dunlow on everything, but I'm with him on Liefeld.
Then I guess you're on my s***list too, Jeremy. :P :kidaround:

I "kinda" get that peeps who were born after 1980 might like the guys work: at the time he was a star, you would probably be like 11/12? Thats the age where "bewbs" and "lots of guns" seem cool. I get that.
When I was that age I was drooling over Perez' Starfire and Byrne's Storm, I was really spoiled on that pre-teen period as a reader.

On a more serious side, Cable, now a movie character:
worst *SQUEE* I ever saw when I got back into comics. I remember laughing at the sheer stupidity of the Liefeld' Cable drawings. No intention to put anyone down, I was 21 when I rekindled my connection with comics. I did not read a Cable book for ages. I would avoid them.

Then House of M happened and I started catching up with the mutants. And then Cable became actually interesting for the first time: protecting Hope at all costs was his best arc, so far, imho. Those Messiah books with him are surprisingly great actually. Liefeld had nothing to do with it, of course.

Oh, and if someone can explain me how is Shaft standing on that page, that'd be cool. :lol:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Has anyone else read Rose from Image? I read the first two issues and kind of forgot about it, but I loved it. I need to go back and read it.
ASM Crossover Home

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

I'm trying Monstress from Image, starting next week. My wife actually went and ordered these for her. :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:
It has been a 8 year struggle to get her to read some damn comics, she tried Harbinger (she loved the Bleeding Monk #0), and some more random stuff, like East of West, but this is the first series she's really hyped for.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo