What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by lorddunlow »

Read East of West #3. I really like this book. Sorta feels like Firefly meets Brimstone. Great characters. I'm little lost though. But I like not knowing what's going on.

Avengers continues to be good read with #13. No New Universe appearances for those of our following that.

Picked back up on Invincible tonight. I'm on #11. Just read #6-10. It's a good book; I'm just waiting on it to take off like everyone says it does.
Last edited by lorddunlow on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:51:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:Read East of West #3. I really like this book. Sorta feels like Firefly meets Brimstone. Great characters. I'm little lost though. But I like not knowing what's going on.
I haven't read it yet, but looking forward to it. I'm also wondering what the hell is going on with what seems to be multiple incarnations of the Horsemen Of The Apocalypse overlapping each other & hunting each other down. Truly a cool concept, and as a side geek-out - I absolutely love Hickman's graphic design.
lorddunlow wrote:Avengers continues to be good read with #10. No New Universe appearances for those of our following that.

I read & enjoyed #10 for the art, story & Alpha Flight appearance, but I didn't get #11 through #13 due to the absence of the New Universe plot & characters.
lorddunlow wrote:Picked back up on Invincible tonight. I'm on #11. Just read #6-10. It's a good book; I'm just waiting on it to take off like everyone says it does.
Dude. Duuuuuuuude. You are about to hit the epic story explosion!!! Giggity!!!!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

I think you realized what I meant, but I corrected my post to say Avengers #13 (not #10)

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

lorddunlow wrote:
Picked back up on Invincible tonight. I'm on #11. Just read #6-10. It's a good book; I'm just waiting on it to take off like everyone says it does.
Let us know what you think in a few issues.
ASM Crossover Home

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

caniac wrote:Can't believe we have to wait until August for Saga 13 :!:
on the bright side at least it's scheduled like that and it's not 90's Image late
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

caniac
the hole just keeps getting deeper
the hole just keeps getting deeper
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by caniac »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
caniac wrote:Can't believe we have to wait until August for Saga 13 :!:
on the bright side at least it's scheduled like that and it's not 90's Image late
True that!

Zaphod
Zaphod's just this guy, you know?
Zaphod's just this guy, you know?
Favorite character: VH1 - Armstrong
Favorite title: VEI - Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Zaphod »

Valiant has proven to be a gateway drug, damnit.

hooked on:
Avengers
New Avengers
Avenger Arena
Avengers Assemble
Uncanny Avengers
Uncanny X-Men
Uncanny X-Force
All New X-Men
X-Men
Wolverine and the X-Men
Cable and X-Force
Guardians of the Galaxy
Indestructible Hulk
and of course
Hawkguy

I am also checking out Vditti's Green Lantern

...*SQUEE*
What we need is innovation and even revolution—but not so much in the form of marketing ploys and doohickeys. What is needed is bold creative vision, excellent stories, and brilliant storytelling, in a word, entertainment. -- Jim Shooter

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

400yrs wrote:I haven't ead yesterday's book, but every single issue of superior spidey has been soooo good, it's crazy. This and maybe harrbinger are the only books tuat are worth $3.99 for the singles.
:thumb:

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Zaphod wrote:Valiant has proven to be a gateway drug, damnit.

hooked on:
Avengers
New Avengers
Avenger Arena
Avengers Assemble
Uncanny Avengers
Uncanny X-Men
Uncanny X-Force
All New X-Men
X-Men
Wolverine and the X-Men
Cable and X-Force
Guardians of the Galaxy
Indestructible Hulk
and of course
Hawkguy

I am also checking out Vditti's Green Lantern

...*SQUEE*
Valiant was the gateway drug for me too. However, I tried getting back into the Marvel Universe, and really found it too large, too complex, too many alternate timelines, and not sure which ones coincided with which? Too confusing, so I kinda passed. Although, I really like All New X-Men. I've also gotten more into Indy titles... The Boys was phenominal. Irredeemable was great. CURRENTLY Reading Immortal Iron Fist. Yes, it's Marvel, but the series basically stands alone from the entire marvel universe, which at this point is preferable to me.
And I have to say, back in the '90's I couldn't stand DC. Anything by them. But now lately, I find myself liking it more.
I actually read the V-Ditti Green Lantern as well. First GL issue I ever got through! I did enjoy it. Seemed like a good jumping on point!

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

grendeljd wrote:
Forgotten Manchu vet wrote:Why did DH had to scrap it? They even had some art done. What woulkd be really sweet... If somebody would have the guts to make the movie.
Wait, what?! DH?

When did that [almost] happen?
Dude, thanks for that link, I just saw it now. Wow, they had Stroman back on board too... That's a shame. Wonder why DH shelved it again? Very cool to hear that Carl Potts script got bought up for movie purposes... I hope that still happens... :hope:

Man, I love that comic... I think I have every issue except for a couple of the very last one-shots... Those were not very good at all IMO.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Did anyone here follow Pat Zircher over to Suicide Squad with #20? I did - despite trying very hard not to buy anymore DC books. It was really well written, and Patch knocked it out of the park.

>sigh<

I'm still a little miffed he isn't doing Shadowman. :(
i've been meaning to check that out bc I really dig Patch's style. I too was hoping he'd stay on Shadowman at least for a bit longer but I guess sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Give it a try, man - if you like Suicide Squad at all, its worth checking out. Patch draws a pretty awesome Unknown Soldier.

Anyone else getting it? :? I picked up SS #21 last week but haven't had time to read it yet.

Burrito Boy
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

I recently read Invincible #1 thanks to Comixology because people talk about it a lot here on the forum. It was mildly interesting but nothing special to me. Granted, I've only read a single issue, but I don't see why everyone thinks it's so great. :?

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Burrito Boy wrote:I recently read Invincible #1 thanks to Comixology because people talk about it a lot here on the forum. It was mildly interesting but nothing special to me. Granted, I've only read a single issue, but I don't see why everyone thinks it's so great. :?
I recently started reading it and i'm up to about issue #19. I think it's pretty cool so far.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PSN- gorakthebunny

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
Burrito Boy wrote:I recently read Invincible #1 thanks to Comixology because people talk about it a lot here on the forum. It was mildly interesting but nothing special to me. Granted, I've only read a single issue, but I don't see why everyone thinks it's so great. :?
I recently started reading it and i'm up to about issue #19. I think it's pretty cool so far.
Hopefully, now that work is easing up, I'll be able to get back to catching up. I think I was on 10 or 11 last. Apparently there's a big twist/event/something that really kicks the story into high gear (from what I'm told).

I just read this months Revival. That book gets better and better, I want it in a big HC collection, though. It reads painfully as singles (not badly - painfully - as in I can't wait one more month to see what happens). It's not at the top of my list of monthly reads, but it's the one I anticipate the most. Every issue is a cliffhanger. Every issue. Great characters; great mystery.

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

lorddunlow wrote: I just read this months Revival. That book gets better and better, I want it in a big HC collection, though. It reads painfully as singles (not badly - painfully - as in I can't wait one more month to see what happens). It's not at the top of my list of monthly reads, but it's the one I anticipate the most. Every issue is a cliffhanger. Every issue. Great characters; great mystery.
I so agree with you on Revival. I've stopped reading the single issues and i'm just wait and either pick up the TPB's or a HC. I love Jenny Frison's covers.

PSN- gorakthebunny

The Dirt Gang
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

grendeljd wrote: Wow, they had Stroman back on board too... That's a shame.
Stroman is one of my all time favorites. I'd love to see him back in comics on a regular basis.

Valiant has definitely been a gateway for me too (and Prophet). I've not been picking up floppies outside of Valiant but my local library has a great selection of books. Here's what I've read recently:

Thor The Mighty Avenger -- Good read. I love Samnee's artwork

Daredevil - Waid, Rivera, Martin -- I read the first trade at it was fantastic.

Scalped (through Vol. 8) -- the library doesn't have 9 and 10 which is killing me. One of the best comics I've read

Stray Bullets - Lapham -- Fantastic!

I got the following two books for my birthday:

Mind MGMT - Kindt -- Love the artwork, the story is solid but I was hoping for more with the hype. I would love to see what he would do with Bloodshot.

Old City Blues - Giannis Milogiannis -- Really great book, if you are into Manga/Appleseed/Akira inspired stuff
Multum In Parvo

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

grendeljd wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Forgotten Manchu vet wrote:Why did DH had to scrap it? They even had some art done. What woulkd be really sweet... If somebody would have the guts to make the movie.
Wait, what?! DH?

Dude, thanks for that link, I just saw it now. Wow, they had Stroman back on board too... That's a shame. Wonder why DH shelved it again? Very cool to hear that Carl Potts script got bought up for movie purposes... I hope that still happens... :hope:

Man, I love that comic... I think I have every issue except for a couple of the very last one-shots... Those were not very good at all IMO.

Agreed. :thumb:

I love the Alien Legion, in fact, I liked most everything Potts produced for Marvel. His Punisher stories were great.

Even if you have the issues, I'd still suggest checking out the DH Omnibuses. I bought both volumes, really great editions that reprint Vol.1. Back in the 80s, I never could find the 'Grey Day to Die' GN so it was great to finally read it.

Stroman's art was great, loved his work on Vol. 2. I never got around to reading the later one-shots, reviews of which I've read elsewhere, as you said, they aren't all that good.

Considering the resurgence of 80s titles, I'm shocked Alien Legion hasn't returned. DH would be a perfect fit for the title.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

It's not a one issue smash hit like all Image books now have to be. Takes an arc or two, then stunning.

Burrito Boy
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez
Re: What comics are you reading now?t

Post by Burrito Boy »

ian_house wrote:
It's not a one issue smash hit like all Image books now have to be. Takes an arc or two, then stunning.

:hm: I did see at least one Invincible TPB at my local library. I may have to check it out.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

String wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Wait, what?! DH?

Agreed. :thumb:

I love the Alien Legion, in fact, I liked most everything Potts produced for Marvel. His Punisher stories were great.

Even if you have the issues, I'd still suggest checking out the DH Omnibuses. I bought both volumes, really great editions that reprint Vol.1. Back in the 80s, I never could find the 'Grey Day to Die' GN so it was great to finally read it.

Stroman's art was great, loved his work on Vol. 2. I never got around to reading the later one-shots, reviews of which I've read elsewhere, as you said, they aren't all that good.

Considering the resurgence of 80s titles, I'm shocked Alien Legion hasn't returned. DH would be a perfect fit for the title.
Agreed!

I used to be very curious about Alien Legion as a mid-teen, but couldn't really afford the higher price point on my tiny budget. I saw that Grey Day To Die ad in the back of many other marvel comics & always wanted to know what that was about - the image was [is] awesome, and inspired me to draw all kinds of stuff.

The first issue I ever bought was a current issue on the racks, which happened to be vol.2 #5;

This stuff was a major eye-opener for me, I hadn't really looked at any non-superhero comics before that, other than GI Joe & Transformers. I absolutely loved that there was a sci-fi comic series & it was so gritty looking! Between that Vol.2#5 issue and the Grey Day To Die image, I was heavily influenced to draw any kind of sci-fi soldiers with armour designs that were very similar to the standard AL outfit. Loved that solo Jugger issue, where he was loaded down with all kinds of spare weapons.

There was a guy in my high school art class that had Vol. 1 issue #8 with Jugger Grimrod stabbing the Harkilon in the water, he was always pulling it out in class and trying to redraw it himself... I was always fascinated with watching him work on that.

Frank Cirroco's covers in the vol.1 era were truly incredible works. I think it was still kind of rare to see original, coloured cover art like that at the time, which increased the impact for me, personally.

I am also a massive fan of Stroman's era [particularly that vol.2 #5], but I actually didn't have many issues as they were newly released - I was lucky enough to find a copy of A Grey Day To Die in the early 90's, the owner of the comic shop I worked at happened across one and put it aside for me, and it was only in the late 90's and 2000's that I actually was able to finally track down every book I didn't have. I will say that one thing I didn't like about Stroman in his later issues of Vol. 2 was that the alien species he was coming up with started to look a little too silly & abstract.

I would seriously love to see this title come back if handled properly.

String

Post by String »

Ooooh, that is a terrific cover for #5, Vol. 2.

It would be easy to see Jugger as a comic cliche along the lines of Punisher and Wolverine, the obligatory Bad-A$$. But I see his characterization as being deeper than that shallow viewpoint, he really was one of the more complex of the main characters.

I can't rightfully remember what my first exposure to the AL was. It may have been seeing those ads for Grey Day but I remember tracking down interviews and articles about the book in Marvel Age and trade journals like Amazing Heroes. My LCS at that time was more half comic store/half used book store and only had a scattering of back issues of Vol. 1.

I did manage to convince my parents to get me a mail subscription of the book, which started with Vol. 2, #2.

I was impressed with the level of maturity and drama in the book, especially when I saw what happened to Nomad Squad in the beginning of the new volume (I hated to see the fate of Torqua Dun).

Yeah, Stroman was getting far out with some of those alien designs. What was funnier is how he tried to fit the typical Legionnaire uniform on these strange anatomies. Some of those beings only had room for teeny tiny shoulder pads and that had to suffice for a full uniform for them. :lol:

buff-beardo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by buff-beardo »

I am currently reading the Preacher run as well as the following monthlies:

Uber
Deathmatch
Suicide Risk
Batman
Red Team
The Massive
Star Wars
Doomsday
Blackacre
East of West
Jupiter’s Legacy
Kick-*SQUEE*
Thanos Rising
Everything Valiant
Muse Rocks! Check out “The Handler”.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

I'm been reading Dragon Age: Until We Sleep #1-3 a good series. King Allistair, Varric, and Isabela find Allistair's father who is being slowly bled to death by an evil mage to remake the world.

The Transformers: Fall of Cybertron One-shot a collection of web comics detaling the Dinobots' backstory in the game.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

The superior foes of spider-man 1. If you like hawk guy, I'd definitely recommend this book.
ASM Crossover Home

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

i picked up issue #0 of Dark Horse's Captain Midnight.

it's great, can't wait for more!