What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by Cyberstrike »

I'm currently reading The Transformers: Fall of Cybertron a tpb of a digital comic book mini-series that is a prequal of sorts to the video game of the same name.

My must read next pile is:
The Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #15-#20
The Transformers: Robots In Disguise #15-#20
The Transformers: Regeneration One #80.5-#93
Sex #3-5
Stormwatch #21-#22
Batwoman #18-#22
X-Factor #250-#256
Captain Marvel #9-#10
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

Cyberstrike wrote: Sex #3-5

Did you like the first 2 issues? I"m curious about this. I've always been a fan of Joe Casey.
Multum In Parvo

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

vikingspawn wrote: Darth Vader & The 9th Assassin #1-5
What was your opinion of this?
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

The Dirt Gang
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

Akira Vol. 1

Wow! What a fantastic book. I wished I had read it years ago. Otomo is such a great artist. There are few that draw cityscapes as well as him. The way he conveys action is superb - definitely one of the tops that I've seen. The whole book was so kinetic and there are some really beautiful quite panels, typically on the lower 1/3 of a page. I also really like the way he broke down a page into panels. I don't like his people as much but he's definitely up there with Moebius and Toppi for me.
Multum In Parvo

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I purchased a run of Empire from slym a couple of months ago and finally got around to reading it yesterday. What an unexpected treat! Empire was probably the second best non-Valiant run I have read in the last couple of months (after Josh Dysart's run on Unexpected Soldier).

Empire was a 6-issue limited series published by DC in 2004. It is written by Mark Waid and drawn by Barry Kitson. The basic story is that a Doctor Doom-like supervillain named Golgoth has conquered almost the whole world and now faces the new challenge of administration and maintenance of a worldwide empire set up by a supervillain for supervillains.

This reminds me of the best stories of Kang the Conqueror and Julius Caesar - great campaigners who are uncomfortable after they leave the battlefield for the capital.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I just read Saga #13.......

It was the first time I was not...... um..... after-effected.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

The Dirt Gang wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote: Sex #3-5

Did you like the first 2 issues? I"m curious about this. I've always been a fan of Joe Casey.
It's different and slow read. Not the best or worst thing I've read (I've always been be indifferent to Casey) the artwork is great.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Still working my way through the Invincible HCs. I read the last issue in volume 5 which is issue 59 which is one of my favorite single issues. Then I started volume 6 thinking I'd just read the Invincible war from issue 60, but that jumped right into the Conquest arc and I couldn't put it down. Done through issue 65.

This book reads great as singles and great in collected formats.
ASM Crossover Home

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Swamp Thing 21. I haven't read the most recent issues, but Charles Soule's Swamp Thing has been excellent through the first few issues. It's a bit different than what Snyder did, but just as good and maybe even a bit more enjoyable.

He even did a superman crossover which didn't suck and that is hard to do. This dude probably could've done some good stuff with Shadowman.
ASM Crossover Home

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Over the weekend I read Jason Lost Cat. I really enjoyed it, but not as much as his other works.

I'm also on book 11 of 100 Bullets. I enjoyed the first 9 books, but to be honest, I'm totally lost now. The book seems to be attempting to create this Web of characters into a crescendo of suspense, but I'm finding it too complicated, disjointed and long. I can't imagine following that in a monthly where nothing truly happens for 6 months and you forget or lose track of the who/what/where.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I also just read Bprd Vampire. Loved it. We'll done all around.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Both Forever Evil and X-Men - Battle of the Atom first issues were real good, look like fun crossovers.

Forever Evil was slightly better as a big kick off event and I like the opt in/opt out style of all the tie-in books. Although the X-Men title looks like it's finally going to reveal Bendis' plan of bringing the original X-Men into present continuity (plus all the X books are consistently ace at the moment).

Looks like a fun couple of months for comics and plenty for crossover haters to moan and *SQUEE* about! Just a shame ifanboy isn't going to be reporting on it.

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

i picked up The Star Wars today, it was great.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I'm up to #25 of Invincible. This may be my new favorite book. I couldn't get to sleep the last 2 nights due to being so enthralled with the story. The great writing of TWD without wanting to kill myself every few issues.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

lorddunlow wrote:I'm up to #25 of Invincible. This may be my new favorite book. I couldn't get to sleep the last 2 nights due to being so enthralled with the story. The great writing of TWD without wanting to kill myself every few issues.
I love Invincible!
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

lorddunlow wrote:I'm up to #25 of Invincible. This may be my new favorite book. I couldn't get to sleep the last 2 nights due to being so enthralled with the story. The great writing of TWD without wanting to kill myself every few issues.
Definitely my favorite ongoing over-all.
ASM Crossover Home

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

I enjoy Invincible (usually in tpb form,that way I can read multiples at once)but I quit TWD due to liking VEI comics more (I wish I could buy everything but I have to have priorities)
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

I haven't read TWD in months. That seems to be my pattern: read 20-30 issues, something really bad happens that screws me up emotionally for a while, then I start right back at it.

Invincible is just plain fun. Monster Girl is oddly my favorite character so far. No spoilers of her being killed or anything. I really like this book a lot.

Invincible and Chew are just fun to read - every single issue.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

lorddunlow wrote:I haven't read TWD in months. That seems to be my pattern: read 20-30 issues, something really bad happens that screws me up emotionally for a while, then I start right back at it.

Invincible is just plain fun. Monster Girl is oddly my favorite character so far. No spoilers of her being killed or anything. I really like this book a lot.

Invincible and Chew are just fun to read - every single issue.
There's some good monster girl stuff later in the series. Allen the alien might be my favorite.
ASM Crossover Home

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

Picked up Day Men from Boom, pretty decent read. Will give it a couple more issues..

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

I've never read Invincible, you guys are piquing my interest.

Stuff I've been reading the past few days......

Fury Max: My War Gone By Vol 2 tpb (Garth Ennis)....I'm halfway through, and I've definitely been enjoying it. Ennis does a good job on a Vietnam War storyline where Fury teams up with Frank Castle for a mission in 'Nam.

I also got the Mystery Men hardcover (Limited series from a few years back which has Patrick Zircher doing art duties). I'm fairly certain the artwork will be fine, but I'm in the dark on the writer of this title.

Along with those two, I also decided to finally take a stab at Fables. I got the first deluxe hardcover. Should be interesting!

Aaaand, I quite enjoyed the comics from my pull-list via the last two weeks:

Shadowman #10 was about as good as Shadowman #0, which means it was excellent.

Infinity, two issues in, is one of the best Marvel events I've read. That's not saying much, since their big events tend to be duds, but Hickman has knocked this one out of the park. I've also been reading Avengers & New Avengers, which tie in heavily to the event. Avengers #18 was a complete let-down, but New Avengers #9 was great stuff. I'm looking forward to the rest of this storyline.

Then there's Lazarus #3, by Greg Ricka & Michael Lark. Each issue is better than the last, Rucka is building up a great title.
Last edited by Savant on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:34:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Savant wrote:I've never read Invincible, you guys are piquing my interest.
It's available in many formats. The compendiums are the cheapest per issue, but I like the hardcovers. Some libraries carry them as well.
ASM Crossover Home

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Read Shadowman and Q&W, obviously. Commented on Shadowman in that thread. Q&W, not much to say about it, which judging by the lack of discussion on its thread, I'm in the majority. (nothing too positive or negative)

Haven't finished Infinity #2 yet (I started reading way too late and it's a meaty read, so I sat it down when I got tired and have yet to finish it today). Leads right out of New Avengers #9 and is very good so far. I am really enjoying this crossover.

I read all of the Thanos Rising mini, and I really liked it a lot. For those more in the know about Marvel than I - is this canon retold, completely new, or a retcon of Thanos' origin? I really liked it and the story gives a lot a weight to and leads well into the Infinity storyline.

Saved the best for last - Chew #36. This book is just fun fun fun. Every issue is both hilarious and chock full of story. Funny that they made it issue #29 1/2, as it really does just tell more of that issue's story from Toni's POV. I cannot wait until this books climax with Tony and the "Vampire". Also, I love Guillory's attention to little funny details in the backgrounds of his panels. I crack up every issue zooming in to read them. Does anyone know if they are his jokes, or does Layman actually script them?

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

400yrs wrote:
It's available in many formats. The compendiums are the cheapest per issue, but I like the hardcovers. Some libraries carry them as well.
It's funny you mentioned that, but with the large number of libraries in my city I can read all the hardcovers! I never would have thought libraries carry comics, but I guess it makes sense...

Savant

Post by Savant »

Just finished Fury Max vol 2......Enjoyed it so much I've decided to order the deluxe hardcovers of Punisher Max vol 1-3, as well as the Fury Max vol 1 tpb.

Ennis is a crazy writer, although his work can get old when he has too much of a hard-on for anti-religious writing (I'm not religious, so I don't get offended, it just gets OLD). I like most of Preacher, but some of his other material that had to do with religion, such as Wormwood, I didn't care for. Thankfully, Fury Max had nothing to do with any of that, and I expect Punisher Max to be in a similar vein to Fury Max.

400yrs wrote:
I love getting hardcovers, so that's the likely way I'll try Invincible out.

A quick question on that title. Does the book start off great, or does it get better as the series go on, or does it vary?

lorddunlow wrote:Read Shadowman and Q&W, obviously. Commented on Shadowman in that thread. Q&W, not much to say about it, which judging by the lack of discussion on its thread, I'm in the majority. (nothing too positive or negative)

Haven't finished Infinity #2 yet (I started reading way too late and it's a meaty read, so I sat it down when I got tired and have yet to finish it today). Leads right out of New Avengers #9 and is very good so far. I am really enjoying this crossover.

You'll enjoy Infinity even more after you finish issue #2. I'm just hoping this series continues at the level it's at, and doesn't fall off like a dud. I've liked the majority of Hickman's work, that I've read, so far, so I'll assume the title stays consistent.