What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by ShadowTuga »

tarheelmarine wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:05:57 am I just read the Absolute Edition of All Star Batman and Robin: The Boy Wonder. The introduction explained that this story is in the same bat-verse as Dark Knight, Dark Knight Returns, etc. Knowing that, I really enjoyed the series. I enjoyed the Batman with an edge, and art (of course) was fantastic. I was disappointed to know that the sequel was never published (and likely never will be).
That is one beautiful looking comic. Its story is completely bonkers and wrong on so many levels that it comes out clean on the other side, Dufresne style. :lol: But there's a lot of stuff I just have to shake my head... i wouldn't like it as much if it weren't for Jim Lee's work, that's for sure.

If you want more of that Millerverse there's the 9 issue "Dark Knight III: The Master Race" series (I think its one of those underated Batman comics already), and both "The Last Crusade" and "The Golden Child" one-shots- the former is the story of how Jason met his end in this universe, and the latter I still have to receive it (ordered it a few weeks ago) so I can't speak to its quality. It has some amazing art by Grampa, from what I could see.

DK III is definitely a way better story than ASB&R, I really reccomend it to anyone who likes Miller's brand of Batman.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

ShadowTuga wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:56:04 pm
tarheelmarine wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:05:57 am I just read the Absolute Edition of All Star Batman and Robin: The Boy Wonder. The introduction explained that this story is in the same bat-verse as Dark Knight, Dark Knight Returns, etc. Knowing that, I really enjoyed the series. I enjoyed the Batman with an edge, and art (of course) was fantastic. I was disappointed to know that the sequel was never published (and likely never will be).
That is one beautiful looking comic. Its story is completely bonkers and wrong on so many levels that it comes out clean on the other side, Dufresne style. :lol: But there's a lot of stuff I just have to shake my head... i wouldn't like it as much if it weren't for Jim Lee's work, that's for sure.

If you want more of that Millerverse there's the 9 issue "Dark Knight III: The Master Race" series (I think its one of those underated Batman comics already), and both "The Last Crusade" and "The Golden Child" one-shots- the former is the story of how Jason met his end in this universe, and the latter I still have to receive it (ordered it a few weeks ago) so I can't speak to its quality. It has some amazing art by Grampa, from what I could see.

DK III is definitely a way better story than ASB&R, I really reccomend it to anyone who likes Miller's brand of Batman.
I am going to have to reread DKIII. I didn't care for it a few years, but with the context of ASBR and perhaps rereading DK and DK Returns it might shift my opinion. Thanks for the recommendation on Last Crusade and Golden Child.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:51:03 am
tarheelmarine wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:40:07 am
grendeljd wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:40:16 pm I am still enjoying Immortal Hulk immensely - I discovered that it was truly the only comic that I really missed while the industry hit the pause button for covid19. There have been two issues of it out already since publication resumed, and They have been fantastic, even without the regular art team on either issue to date.

I was also very pleasantly surprised to discover that I got a letter printed in issue #35!!

Nothing beats that thrill as a life-long comic nerd. Its not easy to get into a Marvel comic, even these days with less people on average writing in. Not only that, but The Hulk is an all-time top favourite character/comic of mine, so it feels like quite a lucky achievement to be published in it! Nerd-bucket-list item - checkmarked!! This was my third letter in a Marvel comic, in roughly 30 years of writing in at various times.
Congrats on the letter. I have read Immortal Hulk thru the trades and did not realize they published a letter column. Very cool!
Congrats, too! Having letters printed is awesome. I had a letter printed in The Bunker #2 by Joshua Hale Fialkov. It was the very first one. Unfortunately it was only in the early digital version and there were different letters in the print version later on. Maybe I should have sent the same letter in again but I didn't. Damn myself!!I
Thanks guys! :high-five: Al Ewing responds personally to all the letters in Immortal Hulk, so it was especially thrilling to me!

SunLight - congrats one your letter too! That’s pretty strange that there were two different letter columns made for print & digital versions... I’ve never heard of that happening before.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

grendeljd wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:43:16 am
Sunlight on Snow wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:51:03 am
tarheelmarine wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:40:07 am
grendeljd wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:40:16 pm I am still enjoying Immortal Hulk immensely - I discovered that it was truly the only comic that I really missed while the industry hit the pause button for covid19. There have been two issues of it out already since publication resumed, and They have been fantastic, even without the regular art team on either issue to date.

I was also very pleasantly surprised to discover that I got a letter printed in issue #35!!

Nothing beats that thrill as a life-long comic nerd. Its not easy to get into a Marvel comic, even these days with less people on average writing in. Not only that, but The Hulk is an all-time top favourite character/comic of mine, so it feels like quite a lucky achievement to be published in it! Nerd-bucket-list item - checkmarked!! This was my third letter in a Marvel comic, in roughly 30 years of writing in at various times.
Congrats on the letter. I have read Immortal Hulk thru the trades and did not realize they published a letter column. Very cool!
Congrats, too! Having letters printed is awesome. I had a letter printed in The Bunker #2 by Joshua Hale Fialkov. It was the very first one. Unfortunately it was only in the early digital version and there were different letters in the print version later on. Maybe I should have sent the same letter in again but I didn't. Damn myself!!I
Thanks guys! :high-five: Al Ewing responds personally to all the letters in Immortal Hulk, so it was especially thrilling to me!

SunLight - congrats one your letter too! That’s pretty strange that there were two different letter columns made for print & digital versions... I’ve never heard of that happening before.
Thank you, too.

They weren't released at the same time! The first five digital chapters came out in 2013 (or '12). A year later Fialkov got a deal with ONI Press to collect all five chapters in one double-sized issue and continue the story. The digital chapters were in widescreen format and mostly b/w. For the print version the panel layout was redesigned and also recolored by artist Joe Infurnari. Needless to say, I recommend reading The Bunker!!!

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

Anyone else reading The Three Jokers? Being in Japan, I have only received the first two issues and am waiting for issue three. The first two issues kept me entertained both had a nice shocker at the end of each issue.

The Harbinger
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by The Harbinger »

Anybody reading Batman run with Clownhunter, Punchline, and Ghostmaker? People hating on it from what I can tell, but I've been enjoying Joker War and what's happening after

Also really enjoyed reading Sink lately. It's a Glasgow thriller comic, currently 10 issues. Highly recommended. Though that recommendation comes with a warning with Comixtribe comics. I read Red Ten, which was great, but it took 8 years to get 10 issues out. It had 2 separate 2 year delays.

Superman Man of Tomorrow is back to basics from the identity stuff in comics, and the kind of stuff DC needs to put out now that failure is no longer an option

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

The Harbinger wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:59:49 pm Anybody reading Batman run with Clownhunter, Punchline, and Ghostmaker? People hating on it from what I can tell, but I've been enjoying Joker War and what's happening after
I am, have a complete run of Tynion's Bats, so far.
I loved the art on Joker War, said it in a thread about Batman i made around these parts, but i am completely underwhelmed by the guy's writing these days. I really dug his Tec run, really backtobasicsofsorts Batfam stories that made me care for the cast. This Batman run of his is just "ok i guess" in my book. I still have to pick all books after 101, so no Ghostmaker yet, maybe the thing gets a wee better. But Joker War ws, in my opinion one of the most hyped up craptastic events in recent years. Please take no offense when i say it is a Batman story for people who never read Batman events before. Just a bunch of cliche stuff with the "Batman is now broke" gimmick on the side. Which i bet will be undone in a couple more months, if it hasn't yet. The FU to Selina and Bruce's relation also did not gel well with me, not that i care that much, it just felt really weird and shallow how their thing was just cast aside after all that noise a couple years ago.

It feels like editorial fingers all over, honestly, maybe Tynion is really not to blame for a lot of the mediocrity i find in "Batman" these days (i may be wrong, but I think he mentioned not being able to do his own thing or that he was told to take the Joke War thing into a direction he did not plan).

I always felt the main title was a wrong playground for another "Chuck Dixon in the making" type of Bat-writer (meaning, Tynion could write 200000 batman book per month, and none of them will be terrible or amazing). Batman's main book needs a great writer who is daring, fans be damned, tbh.

Snyder got a lot of hate in the beginning, and King... well, its Tom King, everybody hates the man to the point its a meme, stupidly and unfortunately. Tynion's two predecessors were great writers withtheir own ideas, Tynion is just recicling *SQUEE* with some made-for-speculation editorial-mandated characters. Clownhunter could be fun, but he feels like a 90s dude. Punchline is just marketing and fan-made hype.

I hope i don't sound like an *SQUEE*, i just have strong opinions on the only monthly book i'm buying these days. :D

I hope he gets replaced soon, honestly i feel he's not that much into it, given how much of an indie guy he bacame of late. Very happy for him actually, he seems like a genuine good person and he works his *SQUEE* of (I read his blog on occasions)
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Fu-Schnickens
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: Last Week
Favorite character: RAI / Bloodshot
Favorite title: RAI #0
Favorite writer: All of them
Favorite artist: All of them

Post by Fu-Schnickens »

I've only been reading comics for little over a year now and I know this shouldn't matter, but I noticed on almost all the "Best comics of 2020" pages have almost none of the comics I'm reading. I'm a weird only child, I'm well aware that the stuff I'm into isn't the majority, But none of them have RAI, Bloodshot, Undiscovered Country, Tartarus, Savage Avengers, Hellboy, etc.

I love the comics I'm reading, especially RAI!! I thought for sure CBR or any of the biggest comic book pages would be writing about it, I guess I'm just confused on what constitutes a great comic vs a good one. Every single list I read had X of Swords and I have that comic too, but I thought RAI and Undiscovered Country were right there with it.

I probably just have a certain taste, any thoughts would help me though, I'm brand new to the comic book world!
One Love

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

Re-reading Scud the Disposable Assassin by Rob Schrab. Outstanding. A must read.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

armlessphelan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by armlessphelan »

I picked up some of the TMNT trades from IDW on Comixology. And those books are actually really good. Probably gonna follow the series in trade now.
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

Reading the Paul Dini Batman Omnibus. Excellent self contained stories that include enough to contribute to a larger story arc. So far the only bad issues are the ones which were part of the "Resurrection of Ras Al Ghul." It is very apparent how "forced" the crossover detracted from Dini's writing.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

armlessphelan wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:26:42 pm I picked up some of the TMNT trades from IDW on Comixology. And those books are actually really good. Probably gonna follow the series in trade now.
That series is quite good! I have read up to around issue #25 or so to date. I was a tad too old for the era of TMNT cartoons and toys etc, but I have always liked the few odd issues I had from the original Eastman/Laird comic.

Within my limited knowledge of all the various media incarnations over the years of TMNT, this current IDW series seems like it incorporates all the best bits from every previous source into a single new take from ground zero.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

grendeljd wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:03:48 pm
armlessphelan wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:26:42 pm I picked up some of the TMNT trades from IDW on Comixology. And those books are actually really good. Probably gonna follow the series in trade now.
That series is quite good! I have read up to around issue #25 or so to date. I was a tad too old for the era of TMNT cartoons and toys etc, but I have always liked the few odd issues I had from the original Eastman/Laird comic.

Within my limited knowledge of all the various media incarnations over the years of TMNT, this current IDW series seems like it incorporates all the best bits from every previous source into a single new take from ground zero.
I agree. The current TMNT and related series are great. I am around issue 70 or so. I have been reading the big collected editions with include all the spins offs (which is good as they form an integral part of the story).

Since 2020 started I have read two different series:

1) Chew 1-60. I had been meaning to read this for quite a while. It is a pretty fast read and a unique concept. The first half is better than the second half but it is worth reading the entire series.

2) Persepolis graphic Novels I and II. For those not familiar is an autobiographical series by Marjane Satrapi that depicts her childhood up to her early adult years in Iran and Austria during and after the Islamic Revolution. I like to read things with a different point of view and this certainly is that and some of the book was eye opening. Not sure if I enjoyed it per se but I think it was worth reading. The one thing I did not like about it is despite challenging times she lived in is the author comes across a bit as a spoiled rotten rich kid.

Note sure what I will read next. Maybe the 1980's New Teen Titans.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

90s Terminator comics.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Still madly obsessed with Immortal Hulk. Simply the most rewarding read for a long time Hulk fan like me.

I also just got a second fan letter printed in issue #42!!! I thought the first time I got one in Immortal Hulk #35 was a once-in-a-lifetime thrill to achieve - a second one in such a short time in one of my life-long favourite Marvel comic series is a really amazing feeling too :cloud9:

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

Shadowman99 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:17:57 pm 90s Terminator comics.
I read them all in order one time. When you do them all back to back they make for a good read

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Damn, I have just about given up reading comics entirely. I read Valiant runs when I get a few but it took the wind out of my sails when the Valiant output just about dried up. I miss 2012. I still buy new Marvels that I might get around to reading but mainly I am just keeping my runs going.

I went through a period like this before and then got back into reading so we'll see what happens this time. I'm collecting more than ever, but I'm focused on older Marvels.

Sunlight on Snow

grendeljd wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:55:45 pm Still madly obsessed with Immortal Hulk. Simply the most rewarding read for a long time Hulk fan like me.

I also just got a second fan letter printed in issue #42!!! I thought the first time I got one in Immortal Hulk #35 was a once-in-a-lifetime thrill to achieve - a second one in such a short time in one of my life-long favourite Marvel comic series is a really amazing feeling too :cloud9:
As a huge fan of Douglas Adams I'd say the one in #42 certainly is the more important achievement. Congrats! :thumb:

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

It's crazy to say this right now and given the last many years of content, but Iron Man, Thor and Daredevil are the best they've been in.... I don't know.... YEARS. MANY, many years.

Those three books are very good. And honestly the Iron Man book is the best it's been since volume 4 (around 2006 & 2007).

I'm still buying all of the Titan Blade Runner stuff, but I haven't read any of it. Been ordering it for a year and haven't cracked one open. I'll read the trades at this point and keep the monthlies for the eyecandy. It wouldn't matter to me if it sucked anyway, I'm a Blade Runner collector to an extent and there isn't a ton of Blade Runner stuff out there, so I buy it when I see it.

Canto is truly one of the gems of modern publishing. It's just fun in every way.

I've been ordering Red Mother and Something is Killing the Children, but I think Red Mother wrapped up with #12.

That's it. If there's a lick of agenda in a book nowadays I drop it or don't order it.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Been a while since I chimed in as I went on a pretty dry spell for comics.

I was reading Locke and Key through my library, but I'd like to keep future storylines a surprise for the Netflix show, so I've paused after 3rd or 4th trade. Awesome book and awesome show.

I'm currently reading the 2005 House of M and it's really enjoyable, especially with how prescient some of the writing has been considering what the world is like today. I would say the books are more relatable now than they would have been in 2005. It's great looking at how the exact opposite of a bad thing is still a bad thing (racism/intolerance). I love having Marvel Unlimited because any time I want to read a big event from the past, I just pull it up and read every book, every tie in.

No Valiant read in many years. Basically not since shortly after I went to ComicCon in 2015. There is no relationship between those two events other than temporal.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Sunlight on Snow

lorddunlow wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:59:45 pm I was reading Locke and Key through my library, but I'd like to keep future storylines a surprise for the Netflix show, so I've paused after 3rd or 4th trade. Awesome book and awesome show.
Seconded on the books. Locke & Key is fantastic. I'm looking forward to the upcoming Sandman crossover and World War Key.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

The Vision and Scarlet Witch: The Saga of Wanda and The Vision TPB from Marvel
Marvel Selects: Infinity Gauntlet HC from Marvel
The Creature Commandos! TPB from DC
Jonah Hex: The Shadows West Trilogy TPB from DC/Vertigo
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Sunlight on Snow

Cyberstrike wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:14:33 pm The Vision TPB from Marvel
If it's the one written by Tom King......what a great take on the character! :thumb:

Reminds me again that I missed reading his Harbinger related novellas.

whovian
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Favorite character: Armstrong

Post by whovian »

I just finished reading the fifth issue of Aftershock's We Live, one of the most heartfelt series I've ever read with one of the most shocking endings to any journey I've taken. An incredible story unto itself which serves as the cornerstone of something far bigger to come. This may be the most important comic published since the first issue of The Fantastic Four way back in 1961. We Live feels like it takes comics up to the next level. I strongly recommend pre-ordering the collection, which comes out in May, of this five-issue mini-series.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:25:11 am
grendeljd wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:55:45 pm Still madly obsessed with Immortal Hulk. Simply the most rewarding read for a long time Hulk fan like me.

As a huge fan of Douglas Adams I'd say the one in #42 certainly is the more important achievement. Congrats! :thumb:
Thanks! Now that we have the answer... what is the question? :high-five: :lol: