What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by Sven the Returned »

Paul Dini Zatanna.

WrathOfArmstrong
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

Sven the Returned wrote:Paul Dini Zatanna.
Good read. Try out the Gotham City Sirens next if you haven't, Dini has a way with women.

I'm currently buried by Omnibuses. Haven't even read my non-valiant pull books yet (over a month behind now...)

I completed Wagner's SANDMAN MYSTERY THEATRE, Trades and floppies--- it is now my favorite Wagner work. I can't think of the last time I loved characters as much as Dodds and Dian. The development of their relationship weaved through these gruesome adult mystery tales is incredible. I regret ignoring the book out of my general disinterest for Gaiman's Sandman (In my defense, when I read really british writers, I have this really irritating british accent in my head--as such one of the most torturous experience was reading A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy--I understand it's a great book, but I suffered. I mean really suffered).

up thru vol 5 in the Dark Horse Conan run.

Almost done with Grendel omnibus #3

and started the IDW TMNT run, in deluxe book 4 at the moment.

and looking forward to re-reading Seven Soldiers in omnibus form...Zatanna and Frankenstein! Woo!

as well as all the other marvel and dc omnibuses I've been hoarding. Colder weather on the horizon should help me catch back up.

Havent' read Cates Venom yet (it's piling up) or Farmhand, excited to crack both when I get to that floppy stack on the corner of my night stand.

Cates is a great writer. It might just be his pacing and presentation, but he has yet to let me down. Even if in retrospect the stories aren't truly memorable, the way they are told is absolutely engrossing. I have to make time to read his stuff when I know there wont' be any distractions at all. it's not a half-hearted let's keep up with the characters, it's a 'I've got to get the full experience of this, because there's only one first time with a new Cates story.'

Chew is one of the best series of all time. Layman and Guillroy will have my money based on the graces of that series.

DavidLapham
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by DavidLapham »

WrathOfArmstrong wrote:
Chew is one of the best series of all time. Layman and Guillroy will have my money based on the graces of that series.
Layman's got a new one coming Outer Darkness. Don't know if it's out yet, but the first issue is gorgeous. There're a lot of places he can go with it.

WrathOfArmstrong

DavidLapham wrote:
WrathOfArmstrong wrote:
Layman's got a new one coming Outer Darkness. Don't know if it's out yet, but the first issue is gorgeous. There're a lot of places he can go with it.

If you are 'THE' let me say thank you for Silverfish and Young Liars! It's been years (but feels way longer), and as a Vertigo loyal I picked Silverfish up blindly... which led to me getting Young Liars without question...which then convinced me that I had to pick up this one book that was always on my LCS's recommended shelf but didn't really interest me since it hadn't changed its named to Stray Wizards which is more appropriate and less offensive...at the time... I didn't actually realize your Valiant connection until now mainly because I just joined the VEI bandwagon last year. Which is pretty awesome.

Anyways, definitely lookin forward to more layman... but your Silverfish HC screws up the uniformity of my Vertigo bookshelf. Plus it's hot pink. Don't do that again. My five year old daughter keeps picking it up and I'm like... wait... don't do that... not yet... these are books you can read when you're...uh.. six... okay... stop growing up so fast...

and since you're not humble bragging... let me take this moment to recommend Silverfish for a single sitting and truly gripping page-turner and that Stray Bullets thing for a more involved read worth each and every page turn.

You are... 'THE' aren't you?

DavidLapham
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!

Post by DavidLapham »

I don't know about THE, but yes. I came "trolling" to hawk my commissions over on Buy, sell, trade. And was just poking around. Was just looking at Silverfish today to reference for another cover.

Thanks for the good words.

I should brag a bit. Maria Lapham and I are doing a book for IDW/Black Crown called LODGER. Which is humbly bragging...*SQUEE* great. I think it's out in October.
LODGER01-coverCOLOR03.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DavidLapham
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!

Post by DavidLapham »

HA! I love the obscenity bleeper!

WrathOfArmstrong

Will have to check that out! Was just craving some noir the other day... just have to wait another month

I guess I missed that Shelly Bond was heading up Black Crown. Enjoyed Milligan's Kid Lobotomy, but haven't checked anything else out yet.

As busy are you seem to be, do you get much of a chance to read? or... uh... 'what comics are you reading now?'

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

THE PITT. Pittsburgh is destroyed in the New Universe.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

I put aside all novel fiction so I can finally get to the growing stack of hardcovers/TPBs I have. I finally read and finished both Mind MGMT and Ex Machina after starting and stopping both several times. Now I'm reading the hardcover of Deadly Class. After that, two Saga hardcovers, two Black Science hardcovers and Velvet. Then I can get back to the books I'm supposed to be reading for my job.
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

I picked this up this week:

Good start to new series. Good art.

Jaknife

Post by Jaknife »

I just finished Walt Simonsons Thor run.
Hadn’t ever read any Thor before and thought it was excellent.
Some fantastic moments throughout, and a very compelling Asgard. I never found the Asgard or side characters in the movies(Thor 1 and 2) to be that interesting.

Are any of the Vol 1. Thor stories after #382 worth reading?

WrathOfArmstrong

Jaknife wrote:I just finished Walt Simonsons Thor run.
Hadn’t ever read any Thor before and thought it was excellent.
Some fantastic moments throughout, and a very compelling Asgard. I never found the Asgard or side characters in the movies(Thor 1 and 2) to be that interesting.

Are any of the Vol 1. Thor stories after #382 worth reading?
Looking forward to Simonson's run... just completed his ORION run--the first half (or a bit longer) of which was incredible, the second half, less so but still good. Planning on checking out all that he ever touched now...had always been a fan of his art.

Also finally got through the chore of Fables and its spin-offs. I would not recommend it to anyone... (I quickly retract as I list all the trades on ebay...)
#shelfspace

also, FARMHAND is amazing. right up there with CHEW so far.

Next up: a re-read of all the DC Crisis... figured I'll be complete by the time the trade for Heroes in Crisis hits shelves...

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

WrathOfArmstrong wrote: Next up: a re-read of all the DC Crisis... figured I'll be complete by the time the trade for Heroes in Crisis hits shelves...
:lol: :thumb: Yeah, it takes a looooooong time, specially if you read not only Crisis on Infinite Earths (still one of my fav crossovers/events ever), Infinite Crisis (really good, specially the ending) and Final Crisis (just one crazy Morrison mindblowing trip- enjoyed this way more when I upgraded my personal knowledge of the DCU) BUT also 52 (I highly reccomend it, it has some amazing stuff with B level characters that is simply unforgetable) and Countdown to Final Crisis (not that good, but hey, it entertains).

Also, do you plan to read Zero Hour? It transformed the DCU timeline after the first Crisis, and it was important to the continuity, if you are into that "hardcore". Not that much fun, but I read worse.

I still have to read Convergence, but that book is HUGE. HUGE. HUGE. :!:
My final (unrequested :P ) tip on the crisis saga would be to check Dark Knights: Metal, if you haven't already- the last issue changed the Multiverse in ways I never expected. SPOILER (The Source Wall cracked :D )
And Doomsday Clock- what I read I loved it. Big changes on the way, it was promised.

Oh, a completely unrelated thing: :D there's another Crisis that I would say it's a love it or hate it book (Identity Crisis, nothing to do with the Crisis theme of the Multiverse and what not)- some very disturbing moments in there (it involves some adult stuff that does not sit well with me as a comic book fan) BUT... my man Slade Wilson has perhaps his most bada**, iconic moment. You have to read it to see how good it is, I can not make it justice.
:thumb: But it's a Daaaaaaaaark book.

Now, Heroes in Crisis...
:rant:
I haven't kept in touch with DC for about 10 months, haven't read a single book since the last Doomsday issue, but I saw the deaths of both Wally I and Roy. Hope i'm not mistaken,
This reeks of DARK DC, in a way that I don't like. S-it, what do DC editors have against old ginger WALLY? :!: :!: :!:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

WrathOfArmstrong

I was going to include 52, Countdown, and Identity Crisis (which I hadn't read yet--but recall a lot of what went down in my Green Arrow readings). I'm hoping to better understand Final Crisis this time through, with all my recent Morrison re-reads, it should make more sense... should... I might skip metal, since I read it as it was released, but you're right it is Crisis in all but name.

Maybe doomsday clock will be in trade by the time I get to it... I switched to trade waiting after the big delay this summer. But that probably adds Rebirth and the Button... wait those are single snack sittings... why not...

I try to do one big re-read/marathon series a year. It helps my budget to revisit stuff mostly already in my collection. It was going to be Knightfall, but Heroes in Crisis and the new omnis for Infinite and Final steered me this way.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

WrathOfArmstrong wrote: I try to do one big re-read/marathon series a year. It helps my budget to revisit stuff mostly already in my collection. It was going to be Knightfall, but Heroes in Crisis and the new omnis for Infinite and Final steered me this way.
:thumb: I try to do that every year or so with a long re-read of the Good Stuff/Saved for a Rainy Day Stuff in my collection(s) (HCs, TPBs, singles) and it pays off big to buy a set of books and leave them be for a while. I ran through my Moore's Swamp Thing TPBs like crazy when I finally was in the mood for it, long time after purchase. It was a fantastic comic book reading experience.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Ten issues into Immortal Hulk and I am absolutely loving this title. Thought the title of “Immortal” Hulk was going to play out as a cheap gimmick - boy, was I wrong!

Really dark tone to the series, with a really rich depth to the character that I don’t think he’s had in *years*. Dips more than it’s toes into the horror genre, which is perfectly suited to this monster character - and also feels *connected* to all the important elements from the Hulks long history. Just an absolute treat to read as a long-time fan who hasn’t read a new Hulk comic in about 6 years now.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

tldr, move along, move along... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

Zhuge1 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
I checked... I have these trades to read. Ruh-roh...
If you get around to reading them, please post to this thread with your thoughts. I'd be interested on another take to see what others thought.

I just finished volume 4 (Original Sin) and honestly thought it was the best of the bunch, but there seems to have been a crossover (or event) that occurred between volume 3 and volume 4 that wasn't detailed in the collection so there was a lack of cohesiveness with the previous 3 volumes.
Finally finished Volume 5 (Through the Looking Glass). Honestly I thought it was terrible. Most of it was issues from the Black Vortex crossover (which I haven't read). Many of the storylines brought up in earlier volumes were dropped or forgotten (or perhaps handled in other Marvel series or crossovers that I missed). I'll probably still push through "volume 4" of Guardians, but I have very low expectations for it.

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

ShadowTuga wrote:
Now, Heroes in Crisis...
I haven't kept in touch with DC for about 10 months, haven't read a single book since the last Doomsday issue, but I saw the deaths of both Wally I and Roy. Hope i'm not mistaken,
This reeks of DARK DC, in a way that I don't like. S-it, what do DC editors have against old ginger WALLY? :!: :!: :!:
I bailed on this story. It's just such a hot mess coming off what Geoff Johns was pushing. Doomsday Clock is a better mystery story than what ever the hell their trying to do here.

ShadowTuga

Post by ShadowTuga »

dornwolf wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
Now, Heroes in Crisis...
I bailed on this story. It's just such a hot mess coming off what Geoff Johns was pushing. Doomsday Clock is a better mystery story than what ever the hell their trying to do here.
It DOES look like they have lost something really important with Johns' move. This series does feel like its a two-steps behind thing, but I should not judge it so much if I haven't even read a page of it. It just had me feeling "DC... why so serious?!". Deaths and deaths and grim and brooding and revenge and more deaths...
Man... remember when we were all over the company in 2017 and how bright and optimistic things seemed? :lol:
Oh, the innocence of youth...
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

ShadowTuga wrote:
dornwolf wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
Now, Heroes in Crisis...
It DOES look like they have lost something really important with Johns' move. This series does feel like its a two-steps behind thing, but I should not judge it so much if I haven't even read a page of it. It just had me feeling "DC... why so serious?!". Deaths and deaths and grim and brooding and revenge and more deaths...
Man... remember when we were all over the company in 2017 and how bright and optimistic things seemed? :lol:
Oh, the innocence of youth...
It's like a completely different attitude. It's actually quite shocking. To go from this feeling of never knowing what's around the bend and excited for every step to one more body for the pile.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I picked up a stack of reader copies (in pretty decent shape) of the 1970s magazine format Savage Sword of Conan. Just got to issue #5 and wow, it's great stuff. Story by Roy Thomas (adapted from the Howard original) and b&w art by John Buscema. 55 pages of story, beautifully rendered! For only a buck in 1975, that's about $4.65 in present dollars.

And the covers!

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

I feel like I don't even read half - maybe even a tenth of what I buy anymore, but I did recently read the new copy of Absolute Batman: The Killing Joke I received in my last DCBS order. To fill the format of normal Absolute editions, DC included the story twice - once with new colors by Bolland, and then again with the original colors. I've only read the newly colored presentation, but it looks amazing. Next time I pick it up, I'll read the originally colored version.

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

jmatt wrote:I picked up a stack of reader copies (in pretty decent shape) of the 1970s magazine format Savage Sword of Conan. Just got to issue #5 and wow, it's great stuff. Story by Roy Thomas (adapted from the Howard original) and b&w art by John Buscema. 55 pages of story, beautifully rendered! For only a buck in 1975, that's about $4.65 in present dollars.

And the covers!

Lots of great covers from Savage Sword. It's one of my long term goals to start picking those up on the cheap for a binding project.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Just finished King’s Mister Miracle and Vision series. Very good.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t