What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by grendeljd »

depluto wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:50:20 am Damn, I have just about given up reading comics entirely. I read Valiant runs when I get a few but it took the wind out of my sails when the Valiant output just about dried up. I miss 2012. I still buy new Marvels that I might get around to reading but mainly I am just keeping my runs going.

I went through a period like this before and then got back into reading so we'll see what happens this time. I'm collecting more than ever, but I'm focused on older Marvels.
I have been feeling that exhaustion with new comics this past year too. I think I’d actually just be happy right now if I was only buying new issues of Immortal Hulk and virtually nothing else. That and issues of Lazarus, if and when they come out... and I am hoping for some good stuff to get into from Bad Idea.

I also just tried out that new book by Kindt, Keanu Reeves & Ron Garney - BRZRKR. It was very enjoyable actually, I think I’ll read the full 12 issue run if it stays as good as #1 was.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

I am currently reading some Golden age material. Picked up the first two Superman Omnibus editions, along with the first volumes for Batman and Wonder Woman. I must say, I had forgotten how fun and outrageous these stories often were.

Ok. Maybe not WW. You never forget that *SQUEE* once you’ve seen it.

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

:funnypost:

I had forgotten...vs...you never forget! :lol:

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:22:08 am :funnypost:

I had forgotten...vs...you never forget! :lol:
You caught that, eh?

I was hoping somebody would!

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

Still reading and enjoying Birthright (sadly it's coming to an end), Savage Avengers featuring Conan continues to just be a fun read, and I just read Nocterra which was a really well done first issue. Nocterra had a glow in the dark cover which brought back some 90s nostalgia.

I do need to find some cheap copies of Immortal Hulk to get caught up.

Doc Mirage
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Doctor Mirage
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Doc Mirage »

I’m currently reading everything I can get my hands on from the 2012 reboot. Just finished X-O 9, about to start Shadowman 4.

Sunlight on Snow

Doc Mirage wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:30:12 pm I’m currently reading everything I can get my hands on from the 2012 reboot. Just finished X-O 9, about to start Shadowman 4.
I believe you're really looking forward to reading Shadowman #5, Doc Mirage! :wink:

Minor spoilers.... A certain Loa has its first appearance in #5 as well. Plus the Valiant debut by illustrator Roberto de la Torre...making that Loa look extra deadly cool.

And then prepare yourself for issues #0 and #10 (that can be read at any time).

Doc Mirage
Favorite character: Doctor Mirage
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Doc Mirage »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:44:44 am
Doc Mirage wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:30:12 pm I’m currently reading everything I can get my hands on from the 2012 reboot. Just finished X-O 9, about to start Shadowman 4.
I believe you're really looking forward to reading Shadowman #5, Doc Mirage! :wink:

Minor spoilers.... A certain Loa has its first appearance in #5 as well. Plus the Valiant debut by illustrator Roberto de la Torre...making that Loa look extra deadly cool.

And then prepare yourself for issues #0 and #10 (that can be read at any time).
Omg!!!!!!! I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

My recent reading has been collected editions (with a lot of it stuff i had in singles but hadn't yet found time to read).

I have just finished Jonathan Hickman's avnegres and new avengers runs, with Infinity as part of that, and Secret Wars. His plotting and milieu building are great stuff to me, his character work much less so, and spidey felt very off pre-the Superior takeover. Essenitially they felt like one very long story, pickig up threads i knew from Ultimate Comics, even if I didn't get there via his SHIELD and FF runs. Overall i enjoyed it.

Reading Infity led me to Inhumanity and reading Charles Soule's Inhuman, uncannay Inhumans and inumans vs X-Men. I really enjoyed those and look forwd to reading All-New Inhumans and then Royals soon.

Saladin Ahmed's Black Bolt as a follow up to Soule's work was interesting, but a very much self-contained book. I lked what he did with Crusher Creel and Titania.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.

Post by ShadowTuga »

Batman by Tynion. Still mediocre Bats book, with made for specs characters every 2 months it appears. I strongly reccommend not getting into it, if you are a Batman fan with some years of reading. Its just bland and a "product". Tynion is killing it (the children :lol: ) on creator-owned titles from what i read online. His heart is just not in the Bat-world, atm.

TMNT- The Last Ronin- Good comic for old time and new tmnt fans, since its a standalone who reads great by itself, no need to know anything about the turtles, except the very basics. Hate the constant delays, but i'm all in until it ends.

Immortal Hulk- I'm behind, since i'm getting it in those cool Omnis by Panini UK. Issue 13's last page had me forcing some manly tears from dropping. GREAT series.

Daredevil - Best run since Waid, and some folks already put it in "Best Daredevil runs ever"type of lists, even if its probably midway. I LOVE it. Checchetto is killing it with the art duties, and Zdarsky can write Matt like few can. Elektra as DD is cool and all that, but its the overall story that hooked me. The initial premise is indeed a game changer, probably on the same level of "importance" in years to come as issue 50 of the Bendis run was. Its by far my favourite current comic today.

I'm also reading some Marvel Silver Age in Omnis/Epics, namely Spidey and DD. I have a ton of fun reading this stuff, Spidey is suprisingly entertaining despite all the Silver Age-isms and Stan's over-writing. DD is cool, but some stuff is just so out of character for the Miller DD that i knew as a kid... there's no ninja, no angst, no crime noir feel. Instead, its like Spider Man, but with way less cooler villains. Nevertheless, i have a blast reading this old timey stuff. 8-)

And finally, Moon Knight. The recent Omnibus with all the old pre-solo series is a godsend. I also finally got my hands on the 2006 series available tpbs and was floored by the madness and violence of the comic. "The Bottom" is now my favourite MK story, actually.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

Batman vs Bigby: Well I am two issues into the series, and it's not good. The villains origin has not been revealed, but Willingham does not write a convincing Batman. A few nice nods to some of the Fables universe, but overall it's not that great. If anyone else has picked it up, let me know your thoughts.

Nocterra: Been enjoying this since the beginning. Looking forward to the one shot.

Geiger: Another series keeping me interested.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I recently acquired the last Amazing Spider-Man *softcover* Masterworks trade that I was missing to complete the set of 8 (I much prefer the soft covers rather than the hardcover MM editions). While I wish they had continued making more of those, it’s enough to kick off a massive read-a-thon that I’ve been preparing for over the past 4 years or so.

I got on a tangent of picking up as many missing issues as I could find for my ASM collection between ~#194 to #299 starting back in 2017-18, and managed to land most if not all the key 1st appearances in that range along the way. There’s still about 20-25 issues in there for me to hunt down (and the one I still want most is a copy of #299), but I am done waiting on reading through what I’ve currently got.

*REALLY* enjoying the Ditko-Lee era so much, so far. I’m about 20 issues into it - and finally getting to see Ditko’s work in all its glory on ASM has given me a new level of appreciation for his work.

I was never a huge fan of his while certainly respecting his talent - but taking in every panel along the way as I’m reading this stuff has been eye-opening in terms of seeing just how powerful his figure drawing style is, most especially in the dynamic perspective choices he makes. In some ways, his figures are superior to Kirby’s ultra-stylized, but powerfully dynamic action. I look at some of Ditkos individual panels and think that it looks like he used some photo reference for some highly realistic details of Spidey in some really crazy camera angles and perspective, and yet there is no way that he would have access to such a thing. Truly fantastic.

The stories are super fun too - I must admit that while being a mega-Marvel Zombie fan, I often find it a tough slog to read through most anything from the 60’s, as it is simply from a time before *my* time, and often has an innocent naivety and formula to it that I just find agonizingly over-simplified for my own tastes.I finally read the full Lee-Kirby Fantastic Four run for the first time last year (same set of softcover Masterworks editions, v.1-10), and it was actually a painful chore and a slog to get through them (absolutely LOVE Kirbys art throughout it, though!).

But Peter & Spidey seem to emerge almost fully formed right from the get-go in these earliest issues, and it is just an absolute joy to read even if it is a bit repetitive at times. I can really see how the book shattered a lot of even simpler “norms” of that period, and I think it’s just awesome for it.

I am *very* excited to get up into the issues from the #200’s after I complete these trades though (I think they run up to around issue 80?).
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

Geiger concluded (well done) and looking forward to the expansion of this universe.

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

ShadowTuga wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:34:12 pm
TMNT- The Last Ronin- Good comic for old time and new tmnt fans, since its a standalone who reads great by itself, no need to know anything about the turtles, except the very basics. Hate the constant delays, but i'm all in until it ends.
I am debating getting this in the trade. Thoughts?

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

ShadowTuga wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:34:12 pm TMNT- The Last Ronin- Good comic for old time and new tmnt fans, since its a standalone who reads great by itself, no need to know anything about the turtles, except the very basics. Hate the constant delays, but i'm all in until it ends.
I was all-in on this one but I couldn't keep up with the delays and status and I'm so lost on it that now I don't care. Seriously - in many ways your post made me realized this has been delayed. I figured I forgot to add it to my pull list and never got it ordered and just missed it. Hell, I just looked at my inventory while making this post and I was surprised to find that I've got the first three issues here, although I'm not even sure where they're at on that book anymore.

Beyond that, the order I placed on 09/16 was for three books. That's it.
Iron Man #25 - the final issue of this amazing Cantwell run
Ronin Book Two #1 - I loved the original mini-series and was surprised this was being released so... ordered
Batman & The Joker #1 - When Silvestri does a top tier book of any kind, I buy it

Next month's order should contain the new volume of Iron Man with a new #1. The only reason I bring this up is to point out how Marvel has drained me dry, even when it comes to "Iron Man". I have a deeply built Iron Man collection - the kind where I buy every variant I find and have Direct Market, Newsstands, Mark Jeweler's, etc. My point is that I'm not ordering the variants for this "relaunch". At all.

I'm sick of it, sick of Marvel's predatory releases and sick of the agendas that lose readership but Marvel just creates more variants to compensate. So now I order even Iron Man as one book and whatever the most 'normal' cover is. I will not be buying Marvel's cash grab covers anymore at the order point. It's bad enough they pad the sales with variants to compensate for readership loss, but last month looking at Spider-Man or She-Hulk on my Iron Man cover when they have nothing to do with the content was enough for me.

If someday I'm at a convention and I find the variants I'll be missing and they are cheap and way, way, way after buying them affects the order levels then maybe I'll pick them up. Right now I've got a ridiculous 1st place set of Cafu and Cantwell's books on the census, and even that isn't complete as 9.8 - but that is my last hurrah, possibly forever.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

IMJ wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:26:26 pm
ShadowTuga wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:34:12 pm TMNT- The Last Ronin- Good comic for old time and new tmnt fans, since its a standalone who reads great by itself, no need to know anything about the turtles, except the very basics. Hate the constant delays, but i'm all in until it ends.
I was all-in on this one but I couldn't keep up with the delays and status and I'm so lost on it that now I don't care. Seriously - in many ways your post made me realized this has been delayed. I figured I forgot to add it to my pull list and never got it ordered and just missed it. Hell, I just looked at my inventory while making this post and I was surprised to find that I've got the first three issues here, although I'm not even sure where they're at on that book anymore.

Beyond that, the order I placed on 09/16 was for three books. That's it.
Iron Man #25 - the final issue of this amazing Cantwell run
Ronin Book Two #1 - I loved the original mini-series and was surprised this was being released so... ordered
Batman & The Joker #1 - When Silvestri does a top tier book of any kind, I buy it

Next month's order should contain the new volume of Iron Man with a new #1. The only reason I bring this up is to point out how Marvel has drained me dry, even when it comes to "Iron Man". I have a deeply built Iron Man collection - the kind where I buy every variant I find and have Direct Market, Newsstands, Mark Jeweler's, etc. My point is that I'm not ordering the variants for this "relaunch". At all.
:P :P
I'm sick of it, sick of Marvel's predatory releases and sick of the agendas that lose readership but Marvel just creates more variants to compensate. So now I order even Iron Man as one book and whatever the most 'normal' cover is. I will not be buying Marvel's cash grab covers anymore at the order point. It's bad enough they pad the sales with variants to compensate for readership loss, but last month looking at Spider-Man or She-Hulk on my Iron Man cover when they have nothing to do with the content was enough for me.

If someday I'm at a convention and I find the variants I'll be missing and they are cheap and way, way, way after buying them affects the order levels then maybe I'll pick them up. Right now I've got a ridiculous 1st place set of Cafu and Cantwell's books on the census, and even that isn't complete as 9.8 - but that is my last hurrah, possibly forever.
Have you tried not being a fascist? :P

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

IMJ wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:26:26 pm

I think I will get the Silvestri book in the trade.

Marvel and DC are both suffering...

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Chiclo wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:11:32 pm Have you tried not being a fascist? :P
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:!: Good God what was I thinking? That must be.... well no. Maybe it's not my fascism. It could be "the" white supremacists - it's definitely them. Unless it's "the" misogynists. It could be the misogynists.... unless it's the supremely-white-misogynists in which case it's definitely the supremely-white-misogynists and not the regular ones. The misogynists I mean. It's them. They. Them. Or it's you, I dunno.... I'm not sure.

tarheelmarine wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:09:45 pm I think I will get the Silvestri book in the trade.

Marvel and DC are both suffering...
Oddly enough I hadn't even considered that before pulling the trigger on the order. Next month I'll also pick up whatever regular release there is of Capullo's upcoming Batman/Spawn book too. But not diving in for the 400 variant covers of that either. It's posters, man. We are buying posters with a cover price of 5.95 or whatever every month now. But I'll gladly fish those things out of convention bins someday at 4 for two dollars or whatever.

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

tarheelmarine wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:38:09 pm Geiger concluded (well done) and looking forward to the expansion of this universe.
Junkyard Joe was a good read.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

tarheelmarine wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:39:53 pm
tarheelmarine wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:38:09 pm Geiger concluded (well done) and looking forward to the expansion of this universe.
I picked that up but haven’t read it yet - looking forward to it though!

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

grendeljd wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:00:39 am
What did you think?

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

tarheelmarine wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:32:19 am
What did you think?
Still haven’t read it yet - my copy got misplaced in my basement last month while I was working on purging out a lot of (non-collectibles) clutter. Still haven’t found it, but I did pick up the second issue anyway - I’m assuming I’ll enjoy it enough to keep reading it. :)

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

grendeljd wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:31:57 am
What did you think?
Still haven’t read it yet - my copy got misplaced in my basement last month while I was working on purging out a lot of (non-collectibles) clutter. Still haven’t found it, but I did pick up the second issue anyway - I’m assuming I’ll enjoy it enough to keep reading it. :)
And now I’ve picked up issue three of Junkyard Joe without yet reading any of them :lol:

Sunlight on Snow

grendeljd wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:09:51 pm
What did you think?
And now I’ve picked up issue three of Junkyard Joe without yet reading any of them :lol:
Maybe we need to start a "What comics are you NOT reading now (and why)?" thread?

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:44:52 pm
grendeljd wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:09:51 pm
What did you think?
Maybe we need to start a "What comics are you NOT reading now (and why)?" thread?
Oh god - you may be onto something! I have so many comics lying around that I haven’t read yet :lol: