What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

cobra_commander
Dude...one word - Pterodactyls!

Post by cobra_commander »

Anybody read any decent comics the last couple of weeks. My order from teh States is late, I wanna know if I've missed anything good... :hm:

cobra_commander

Post by cobra_commander »

Jay Tomio wrote:
Anybody read any decent comics the last couple of weeks. My order from the States is late, I wanna know if I've missed anything good.
I'm definitely not to current (not in the states either) but I just read Lapham's (and others) Tales of Unexpected and loved it. I have seen others who haven't, but it seems to me they simply dislike SF/F/H pulp elements more than have anything worth listening to about the quality of the application itself. Basically, comic book reviewing is still in the dark ages.

I read Deathblow#1 and enjoyed it (I like Brian Azzarello).

I have to admit I kind of like the new Ghost Rider series thus far, and I'm still on the fence with Creeper.

I'm also interested in the use of the Beyonder in Annihilation (thus my books need to get here)

...and there is no reason why anybody shouldn't own Absolute Kingdom Come
I was a little disappointed with Lapham's Detective run, maybe it was the ugly-*SQUEE* art. So I've been staying away from this. Nothing really compares to his VALIANT and Stray Bullets stuff yet.

Deathblow might be something I want to pick up though. I didn't really 100 bullets but I did like the new Wetworks series so I'm giving WildStorm another chance here... :D

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

I have enjoyed the addition of WILDCats and Authority to me list. Read both same day as Seven Soldiers 1 (an anticlimax IMHO), and they showed that individual writers can put out truly diverse work.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Second_Death
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Second_Death »

I'm currently reading Astro City for the first time. So far very impressed. You guys who recommended trying these books were right on. Easily the best Image books I've ever read. :thumb: The only other current book I'm reading is the Vertigo title Testament.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Is anybody reading Orson Scott Card's Red Prophet: The Tales of Alvin Maker? From the art I've seen and descriptions I've read, it looks really interesting.
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I'm reading the "new" rai books (after the "last" Rai is killed by Magnus)..... I REALLY like them..... I've read 4 or 5 issues so far..... I really like it......

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Elveen wrote:I'm reading the "new" rai books (after the "last" Rai is killed by Magnus)..... I REALLY like them..... I've read 4 or 5 issues so far..... I really like it......

It wasn't too bad towards the end of the run, but once Rai is cancelled and Giffen gets a hold of the character in Magnus it's gets awful.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
Elveen wrote:I'm reading the "new" rai books (after the "last" Rai is killed by Magnus)..... I REALLY like them..... I've read 4 or 5 issues so far..... I really like it......

It wasn't too bad towards the end of the run, but once Rai is cancelled and Giffen gets a hold of the character in Magnus it's gets awful.

thanks for the warning...... it is an interesting concept..... the borther jelousy thing.....

:thumb:

(but I'll still need to buy and read the Magnus books....)

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Jay Tomio wrote:It can't possibly get worse than the last issue.
Yeah. I've heard that before.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Watchmen..... :D

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Which chapter are you up to?

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

just started #3 this morning... but I had to stop.... I had my students banging on my door.......

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Damn students, always underfoot I am sure. Watchmen is such a rewarding read, but with the amount of panels and background text it is somewhat like reading a novel, and takes some time to work through. Watch out for clues.

Heath
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Yeah, and you have to read it several times to really catch everything.
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

GL, JLA, and Star Wars.

I said earlier, but DC is producing some quality books. I am anxious to see how the guardians are involved in 52.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

I'm reading Ninjak, #1-8 this weekend, you know, a good read!

tarheelmarine
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

Elveen wrote:I'm reading Ninjak, #1-8 this weekend, you know, a good read!
The artwork is spectacular on 1-3.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

tarheelmarine wrote:
Elveen wrote:I'm reading Ninjak, #1-8 this weekend, you know, a good read!
The artwork is spectacular on 1-3.

I also am enjoying the story.......

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

I really need to read more comics. I even have 4 months or so of my last Marvel buys (which was earlier this year) that I haven't even touched since I B&B'd them after purchase. The last comics I read at all was when jedi sent me the first half-dozen or so issues of Archer & Armstrong.

:|

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

slym2none wrote:I really need to read more comics. I even have 4 months or so of my last Marvel buys (which was earlier this year) that I haven't even touched since I B&B'd them after purchase. The last comics I read at all was when jedi sent me the first half-dozen or so issues of Archer & Armstrong.

:|

-slym
the A&As were the first comics I would re-read every summer when I used to have my VALIANTS IN "storage"..... now they reside in my closet.... and now I always have comics out...... (I'm fully Myroned :wink: )

Zool
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Zool »

I'm currently deeply into comics again (both picking up fairly recent trades and getting a number of monthly books) after having something of a dry spell for a couple of years. Most of my reccomendations have already been mentioned here, probably because VALIANT readers all have great taste :thumb: ... anyway.

Invincible.

Robert Kirkman's going to pop up twice in my list, he's an inventive, sharp and most of all fun writer who has a marvellous ability to take familar ideas and twist them just enough to remind you why you liked super-type-pop-culture in the first place.

Invincible is a case in point, it's a superhero book about a teenager, Mark Grayson, whose father is Omni Man (a Superman analogue), extra-terrestrial defender of planet earth. One day Mark discovers that he has inheritted his father powers.

From this inauspicious start Invincible soon became the most entertaining superhero book I've read in ten years, liberally subverting archetypes from Golden Age, Silver Age and modern comics and carving for itself a very entertaining universe.

I evangelise about this one, it's funny, it's dramatic and genuinely surprising, it's a book I've used to hook people on comics, and it works... try it, but please start at the begining and avoid every spoiler you can. You won't ruin the book if you don't, but there are some things you'll want to learn for yourself.

The Walking Dead.

Kirkmania abounds. Good to see this book getting so much love on the VALIANT board. And rightfully so.

Nothing much more to add that hasn't already been said about this book, I mean, I've always wanted an ongoing Zombie TV series. I like good TV drama and I find moving images to be my prefered horror delivery vehicle because, sometimes, you just can't beat the immediacy of a hard, fast shock.

But in its absence, this is working just fine.

I will add that currnt WD artist Charles Adlard would be my choice for a future VALIANT scribbler.

Scott Pilgrim.

On a completely different tack, Bryan Lee O'Malley's Scott Pilgrim... a vaguely manga inspired, computer games obsesed, hyper real soap opera about a lad who has to defeat his chosen ladies League of Evil Ex Boyfriends if he wants to be with her...

Here's cool, unrelated, online comic by the same guy, If you like it, chances are you'll love Scott Pilgrim. It's charming as hell.

POWERS

A hard boiled cop show with super-powers by Bendis and Oeaming.

A great, adult, monthly read. I know a lot of people dislike Bendis but I love some of his stuff, his Daredevil Run has been the first to do anything of note with the character since Miller (and I agree that Kevin Smith's run was appalling) and it's a great read, POWERS is similar tonally but being a creator owned Bendis can and has plumbed some pretty extreme depths and taken his characters to some pretty amazing places.

I heartily recommend it.

More to come.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Zool wrote:
Invincible.

Robert Kirkman's going to pop up twice in my list, he's an inventive, sharp and most of all fun writer who has a marvellous ability to take familar ideas and twist them just enough to remind you why you liked super-type-pop-culture in the first place.

Invincible is a case in point, it's a superhero book about a teenager, Mark Grayson, whose father is Omni Man (a Superman analogue), extra-terrestrial defender of planet earth. One day Mark discovers that he has inheritted his father powers.

From this inauspicious start Invincible soon became the most entertaining superhero book I've read in ten years, liberally subverting archetypes from Golden Age, Silver Age and modern comics and carving for itself a very entertaining universe.

I evangelise about this one, it's funny, it's dramatic and genuinely surprising, it's a book I've used to hook people on comics, and it works... try it, but please start at the begining and avoid every spoiler you can. You won't ruin the book if you don't, but there are some things you'll want to learn for yourself..
Dead on with your analysis on this one. For me, it's like reading a great, fun Spidey book every month (except there is a continuous and continuously good plot goin on). I'd like to see Allen the Alien again soon. It has been a while since we've seen an Allen story.
Zool wrote:The Walking Dead.

Kirkmania abounds. Good to see this book getting so much love on the VALIANT board. And rightfully so.

Nothing much more to add that hasn't already been said about this book, I mean, I've always wanted an ongoing Zombie TV series. I like good TV drama and I find moving images to be my prefered horror delivery vehicle because, sometimes, you just can't beat the immediacy of a hard, fast shock.

But in its absence, this is working just fine.

I will add that currnt WD artist Charles Adlard would be my choice for a future VALIANT scribbler.
If anyone still has yet to read this book, I'd suggest the trades. The story reads great as a trade. Start with the first one and go from there.

If you like Kirkman, try the Irreedeemable Ant-man. The first two issues have been very good so far. I think that Kirkman will do better with this character than he did with the Marvel Team-up book. It seems as though he is working with an original character, although Pym may end up with the suit eventually.

Another Image book that is solid month in and month out is Noble Causes. Trades can be be picked up pretty cheap on ebay. It's about a family of super heros who are basically celebrities. Character development is a strong-point of this book.

Brubaker's Daredevil is excellent as is the beginning of his new book Criminal.
ASM Crossover Home

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

Anyone who likes more spy-oriented material should check out DC/Wildstorm's "Sleeper" written by Ed Brubaker. It's very involved, like a Robert Ludlum novel with superpowers. Sean Philips' art, while relatively simple, really works here, and it has ties to some old Image stuff (at one point, Grifter is focused on, albeit lightly in the big picture.)

:thumb:

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

I am now reading the Astro City run........

I can see why they were so highly recommended to me.....

a great read!

WarAngel
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by WarAngel »

The last one I read was weeks ago.

Battlestar Galactica War of Eden #4

The rest I'm just looking through not "reading" per say.

I've got:
X-O Manowar
Dork Tower
Iron Man
Doom 2099
Turok

and many others.