What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by tarheelmarine »

Immortal Hulk Vol 4 did not disappoint. Got that from the library and read it one sitting. :thumb:

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Really enjoyed the X-Men reboot.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

I bought a 535 page Vampire Readers Giant via a reprint publisher called Gwandanaland that I like. It cost me something like $25 shipped via Amazon, and featured Golden Age Vampire stories in B&W. One of the best comic book reading experiences of my life. Tomorrow I’m planning to buy another B&W Golden Age Readers Giant reprinting Golden Age horror from the same publisher and retailer.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

lorddunlow wrote:Really enjoyed the X-Men reboot.

Does this mean you read X-Men 1 released on Wednesday?

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Immortal Hulk continues to be the best Hulk story since Planet Hulk.

Silver Surfer Black is trippy and awesome. Looking forward to how it all comes together at the end.

Catching up on Doctor Strange...has its ups and downs, but Strange becoming a herald of Galactus is an interesting development I just reached.

Also, all 3 books have a tie to said purple-headed cosmic entity. Is it too much to hope for a new Defenders book bringing the 3 tales together somehow?!?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

lorddunlow wrote:Really enjoyed the X-Men reboot.
I checked out X-Men 1, and looking forward to New Mutants 1 as well.

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I am just getting Bloodshot 2019
I Miss the good old days.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

Catching up on the last five month's Valiant output.

Bloodshot: Rising Spirit was a prequel story that seems fairly redundant to me, whereas I quite enjoyed Forgotten Queen and the background-building that was done on the character there. Currently catching up with Incursion; all seems groovy so far. Not sure to what extent it was reworked from a Shadowman story to an EW story plotwise, but the first couple of issues have been enjoyable in that it feels in a 'reading experience' sense much like Kindt's XO Manowar did. I do like when Valiant do these 'strange places' stories, like the stuff set Deadside, Eternity and Aric's space adventures :thumb:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I just discovered Charles Soules’ run on Daredevil. Incredible stuff.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

They released Visitor #1 and Dynamite Dejah Thoris #1 in the same month, December, and #2 was January, so I plan to keep picking them up together, once a month, making one run by the comics store. Those are the only two *new* comics I am reading.

I am reading VH1 Rai TPB right now in my enormous backlog of 90s VH1. I'm starting Rai #4. The 90s TPBs have minor worth, per se, especially used, but to me as a reader are a HUGE bang for the buck. Almost the biggest bang for the buck I can think of right now.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

armlessphelan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by armlessphelan »

I am currently re-reading the Mass Effect comics from Dark Horse I bought a few years back. All digital, mind you. They're really good and don't feel unnecessary like tie-ins to video games tend to do. Last time I enjoyed a comic based on a game this much was the Top Cow run of Tomb Raider.
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.

buff-beardo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by buff-beardo »

I’m reading Grant Morrison’s JLA for the first time. It’s been great so far.
Muse Rocks! Check out “The Handler”.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I've been reading more Marvel again lately - still loving Immortal Hulk 30 issues in, really digging the new Ghost Rider series so far with Ketch & Blaze as the main focus, sticking with New Mutants after reading the HOX/POX mini-series, and I was even picking up the recent Avengers issues for the Starbrand storyline .
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tarheelmarine

Post by tarheelmarine »

Our Fighting Forces. Actually found it on Wednesday at Walmart. The Medal of Honor story was good. "Remembering The Leopard" by James Robinson was excellent. "The Last Full Measure" had some great Richard Corben art. There were some dud stories in it as well, but the good ones made up for it.

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

Shadowman99 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:55:54 am Catching up on the last five month's Valiant output.

Currently catching up with Incursion; all seems groovy so far. Not sure to what extent it was reworked from a Shadowman story to an EW story plotwise, but the first couple of issues have been enjoyable in that it feels in a 'reading experience' sense. I do like when Valiant do these 'strange places' stories, like the stuff set Deadside, Eternity and Aric's space adventures :thumb:
Would you call it world-building?
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

The Resistance from AWA which was crazy timely and a great set up. Not sure when/if the next issue will drop though.

2 Boom! Series: Something is Killing the Children and Once and Future. I thought both were really good. SIKTC is a horror book and does a great job being creepy as hell. O&F has horror/supernatural/magic adventure if that’s your thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

BugsySig wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:30:35 pm2 Boom! Series: Something is Killing the Children and Once and Future. I thought both were really good. SIKTC is a horror book and does a great job being creepy as hell. O&F has horror/supernatural/magic adventure if that’s your thing.
I’ve been enjoying Once & Future - I had gotten behind on my reading and just read #5-7 a couple days ago. Nice twists on the Arthurian Legends.

I am intrigued by the other title, might have to check it out!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

grendeljd wrote:
BugsySig wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:30:35 pm2 Boom! Series: Something is Killing the Children and Once and Future. I thought both were really good. SIKTC is a horror book and does a great job being creepy as hell. O&F has horror/supernatural/magic adventure if that’s your thing.
I’ve been enjoying Once & Future - I had gotten behind on my reading and just read #5-7 a couple days ago. Nice twists on the Arthurian Legends.

I am intrigued by the other title, might have to check it out!
Hooked me right away. Reads like it’s ready for a Netflix series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Since the US Covid outbreak in about March, I've gone back and re-read early VEI arcs:

Ninjak - Weaponeer, The Shadow Wars, Operation Deadside
Eternal Warrior - Sword of the Wild, Eternal Emperor, Days of Steel, Awakening
Rai - Welcome to New Japan, Battle for New Japan, The Orphan

And now working my way back through Harbinger from the beginning, Omega Rising.

Can't wait to get back to Ninjak and the last three arcs of the first VEI run.

I've been reading comics since the early 80's, but with the time that I have available to read at this point in my life, I don't miss Marvel and DC at all. Valiant suits my entertainment and escapism needs just fine.

I'm in a comic book store desert in southeastern NC and I kinda hate that and wish I could support a local comic book store but I have reading quite a bit on Comixology and I am very pleased with it and I never thought I would read digital. My eyes are getting worse every year and I really enjoy being able to zoom in on each panel and enjoy the detail that I no longer can in the hardcopies.

Anyway, what's everybody else reading?
***Support your local farmers!***

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Over the past couple months since new comics ceased publication, I found that I really just miss Lazarus & Immortal Hulk. I’m used to Lazarus taking quite a while between issues, so it’s Immortal Hulk that I miss the absolute most.

So that inspired me to go back into re-reading old Hulk comics. I started with #300, where he was banished to the Crossroads for 13 issues or so, and where the first hints of the idea that Bruce Banner has a multiple personality disorder came from. That element remains my favourite aspect of the character to this day, which is a big part of why Immortal Hulk has been so amazing.

I have since worked my way up through re-reading most of Peter David’s run, which was #331-467 (+328, -360 & -389). I am currently all the way up to #456, so I am nearly done with this quest! I was originally going to stop at the end of Gary Franks turn on art chores at #425, but then I just couldn’t resist going right to the end of PAD’s run.

The last portion is a bit bumpy, with some pretty hideously stylized mid-nineties tinged art in the mix that is not aging well and really hampers the stories, IMHO (almost zero sequential artistic skill in some of them, just a series of bad pin-ups with little to no background art). But the run finishes out nicely with a brief Mike Deodato run followed by a very solid run by Adam Kubert.

Overall it is an amazing string of legendary artists who worked on the title over this long stretch - check it;

Sal Buscema with Gary Talaoc,
Mike Mignola
John Byrne
Steve Geiger
Todd McFarlane
Jeff Purves (with Marie Severin inking most of them!)
Dale Keown
Gary Frank
Mike Deodato
Adam Kubert

geocarr
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Has anyone read Animosity from Aftershock Comics? It's not available on Comixology Unlimited so I wanted to ask before I spent money on it.
***Support your local farmers!***

Talarius
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by Talarius »

grendeljd wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:53:54 pm I have since worked my way up through re-reading most of Peter David’s run
[snip]
Overall it is an amazing string of legendary artists who worked on the title over this long stretch - check it;
[snip]
John Byrne
It’s been a long time since I’ve dug through my PAD Hulks. Byrne worked with David on that title? I’m surprised to learn that, as I remember them as not liking each other much. If they did collaborate, I’m sure I have the issues, as I was a fairly enthusiastic “Byrne Victim” back in the day, and had equal interest in Peter David’s works. I’ve been away from comics for so long, I guess I forgot about this unlikely pairing.

Switching to what I’m reading now:
I dropped out of reading comics regularly for 15 years or so? Maybe more. It’s funny, as I have one friend who owns a comic shop and two more that do a comics podcast, but my interest was finally renewed thanks to Covid-19 and ComiXology Unlimited.

I started out by getting familiar with the VH1 era books. I was buying comics back in those original days, but never got interested in Valiant for some reason. I’ve blasted through a bunch of the titles fairly quickly, but am now searching out the Magnus/Solar pre-Unity issues. Making slow progress there. Once I’ve got those in hand, I’m going to start over, reading everything in order through... 93? 94? Until I lose interest? Lol.

Other things I’ve been reading. Black Hammer, Metabarons, Runaways (first tpb), Y the Last Man, 1980’s GI Joe books (never read them before, my buddy talked me into checking them out). Pre-Coronavirus I was enjoying Invisible Republic. That’s a series I really wish would start up again.

I don’t read a lot of current comics, but I’m liking Far Sector (a Green Lantern spin-off), the Last God series from DC and Olympia from Image.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Talarius wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:28:02 pm
grendeljd wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:53:54 pm I have since worked my way up through re-reading most of Peter David’s run
[snip]
[snip]
John Byrne
It’s been a long time since I’ve dug through my PAD Hulks. Byrne worked with David on that title? I’m surprised to learn that, as I remember them as not liking each other much. If they did collaborate, I’m sure I have the issues, as I was a fairly enthusiastic “Byrne Victim” back in the day, and had equal interest in Peter David’s works. I’ve been away from comics for so long, I guess I forgot about this unlikely pairing.
They never paired up, but Byrne did draw the cover for #359, which is in the midst of PAD’s run. I was referring to all the tremendously talented artists who worked on the title from #300 up to the end of Vol. 1, which is about 30 issues prior to PAD’s start. As you’re probably aware, Byrne wrote & drew 314-319!

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

Finishing up Crisis on Infinite Earths again and about to start Legends. Going through all the big Post-Crisis DC crossovers. Also reading early Wolverine (first issue through Fatal Attractions).

My pull list nowadays: TMNT (consistently the best book on the stands for years now), Superman titles, Fantastic Four, and Doctor Doom.,

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I just read the first Mouse Guard collection. Simple and fun.

Some Byrne X-Men is next.