Discuss Hard To Find Or Currently Hot Comics Of Any Era

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: Discuss Hard To Find Or Currently Hot Comics Of Any Era

Post by grendeljd »

I recently decided to re-read my run of Hulk vol.2 (relaunched series after the original ended at #474, with an April 1999 cover date on #1). I had forgotten about this, but I actually had a variant cover for #1 & #2 in there.

Does anyone know if there's currently any value or rarity to these variants?
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

I don't think there's any rarity to the second issue variant at all. If I recall correctly the second issues from those Marvel relaunches had two covers with a 50-50 split on the print runs. The first issues of those relaunches Marvel did at that time had 'Sunburst'' variants that are rarer than the regular first issues and go for a premium. They may have been 1 in 5 or 1 in 10 variants. I don't recall for certain. You could search eBay for ''Hulk 1 Sunburst'' to see if that's the one you have and how much it's going for.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

StarBrand wrote:I don't think there's any rarity to the second issue variant at all. If I recall correctly the second issues from those Marvel relaunches had two covers with a 50-50 split on the print runs. The first issues of those relaunches Marvel did at that time had 'Sunburst'' variants that are rarer than the regular first issues and go for a premium. They may have been 1 in 5 or 1 in 10 variants. I don't recall for certain. You could search eBay for ''Hulk 1 Sunburst'' to see if that's the one you have and how much it's going for.
Thanks man, it is the sunburst variant for #1 :thumb:

It doesn't seem to be worth anything significant, but I did see some prices around $17~$30 for raw copies on eBay.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Ah, dang! I just noticed that I don't have a copy of Hulk #8... it's a wolverine appearance, and seems
to still be worth more $$. Even more than the Sunburst variant of #1... :!:

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

Has anybody have any clues about a very rare comic

Injection #1 black big bang cover. Identical to the common white but I have only seen 2 blacks and I missed out on both

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Checking eBay and Mile High and mycomicshop for ANY available raw copies of one of the three Splatterball editions published by DEFIANT Comics (Regular edition, the second printing which is known as the second edition, and the no seal edition) only one copy is up for sale. Mile High is advertising a regular Splatterball edition in vf on eBay and on their website.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

StarBrand wrote:Checking eBay and Mile High and mycomicshop for ANY available raw copies of one of the three Splatterball editions published by DEFIANT Comics (Regular edition, the second printing which is known as the second edition, and the no seal edition) only one copy is up for sale. Mile High is advertising a regular Splatterball edition in vf on eBay and on their website.
I would think many would be available with the Warriors of the Plasm binder?

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Yeah, that's pretty much the only way to get them now is to pay for the binder too. I used to be able to find them separately for much less, but those have dried up.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

StarBrand wrote:Yeah, that's pretty much the only way to get them now is to pay for the binder too. I used to be able to find them separately for much less, but those have dried up.
Has the price gone up on the binders? It wasn't that long ago that you could pick them up for less than $5 shipped.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Yes. The cheapest one I see on eBay is $25.95 shipped.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Well that's a change from the last time I looked at these!

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I searched for Warriors of Plasm binder and Warriors of Plasm album. There appear to be only about five listed. Same with the Dark Dominion album.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I've got to think the Splatterball comic is getting more expensive. It's certainly getting harder to find.

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

StarBrand wrote:I've got to think the Splatterball comic is getting more expensive. It's certainly getting harder to find.
IM so out of the loop, what is the no deal edition, im sure i ahev all in single form and in binders from every print, but they are in deep storage :)
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JCP
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

I've been trying to track down a copy of Milk & Cheese: the Special Edition for a while now after mentioning it here. One popped up on eBay not long ago and I was outbid at the last second. Then, I thought about just reaching out to Evan Dorkin. He actually responded and said:

I found a copy and you can have it for $5, postage paid, if you want it. They're long out of print -- holy crap, 20 years old this year -- and I don't think I have any others left.

I knew I loved Evan Dorkin.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Draco wrote:
StarBrand wrote:I've got to think the Splatterball comic is getting more expensive. It's certainly getting harder to find.
IM so out of the loop, what is the no deal edition, im sure i ahev all in single form and in binders from every print, but they are in deep storage :)
Three editions of Splatterball exist. There's the first print, which has an embossed seal on the cover. The second print says second edition on the cover in an embossed seal. The no seal edition has nothing embossed on the cover, and is known as the no seal edition. It's possible less than ten of those exist. They are likely a test run by the printer, possibly distributed internally to some DEFIANT employees. That's my best guess as to why they exist.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

StarBrand wrote:
Draco wrote:
Three editions of Splatterball exist. There's the first print, which has an embossed seal on the cover. The second print says second edition on the cover in an embossed seal. The no seal edition has nothing embossed on the cover, and is known as the no seal edition. It's possible less than ten of those exist. They are likely a test run by the printer, possibly distributed internally to some DEFIANT employees. That's my best guess as to why they exist.
Hey, I've got one of those!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Wow!

Draco

Post by Draco »

depluto wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
Draco wrote:
Hey, I've got one of those!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love that this type of thing exists, reminds me of the WOP # 0 with staples and the copy i found with the colour test over hang on the top, love these books :)
ALso great job on finding one dude :)
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Which issue did you find with a color test on the top, Draco? WOP 0?

Joshua
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot 1
Favorite character: Probably Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath Of The Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: Ryp

Post by Joshua »

Seven To Eternity 1 is going pretty crazy on Ebay. Saw that a raw copy went for $71. The A cover seems most popular. I had planned to buy a ton of these but bought only 1. Bleh.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Wow.

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.

Post by possumgrease »

Joshua wrote:Seven To Eternity 1 is going pretty crazy on Ebay. Saw that a raw copy went for $71. The A cover seems most popular. I had planned to buy a ton of these but bought only 1. Bleh.
I bought and read the first issue and it didn't grab me. Is it actually good?

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

Goon 1, Avatar, not-graded for $322.00 was pretty strong.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-GOON-1-MARC ... 2191.m2338

Draco

Post by Draco »

StarBrand wrote:Which issue did you find with a color test on the top, Draco? WOP 0?
Warriors of Plasm# 0. the one with staples, not the one embedded in the previews :)
There were i think two versions with staples giving out to staff and for marketing purposes, one with two staples and examples with three, though may be mis rembering this, someone with better knowledge can confirm. Mine had two staples and the pages at the top had colour test overflow and some pages at teh top were not guillotined correctly. absolute gem and sold on here the same day i found it ;)