Discuss Hard To Find Or Currently Hot Comics Of Any Era

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa
Re: Discuss Hard To Find Or Currently Hot Comics Of Any Era

Post by JCP »

nycjadie wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:08:35 pm Comic Primer 2 (first Grendel) is on fire! Raw copies are nearly $1K. Years ago I was on the hunt for a high grade copy and best I could find is a 9.0 (after pressing and grading). That black cover is tough. A 9.2 sold this week for $1750. An old label 9.4 sold for a best offer listed at $2200 (so less than that).

If you have a nice copy, it's a good time to grade. An 8.0 sold for $800, so I think the threshold for grading is if you have an 8.5 or higher.
I think a lot of these 90’s indie titles are ripe for sharp increases in value due to a low print run and the chance for a film or tv show to spark more interest. Think of Creatures of the Id (Madman), the Crow, and Bone (already crazy high prices).
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

nycjadie wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:08:35 pm Comic Primer 2 (first Grendel) is on fire! Raw copies are nearly $1K. Years ago I was on the hunt for a high grade copy and best I could find is a 9.0 (after pressing and grading). That black cover is tough. A 9.2 sold this week for $1750. An old label 9.4 sold for a best offer listed at $2200 (so less than that).

If you have a nice copy, it's a good time to grade. An 8.0 sold for $800, so I think the threshold for grading is if you have an 8.5 or higher.
It is crazy to see it happen so fast off of that announcement… as I have said elsewhere, I guess this issue is now out of reach for me, personally. I have just never felt the compulsion to get the Primer or the original 3 issues…

Curious, do you guys think any of the other Grendel 1st appearance/ “1st” issues will gain any traction from this? I have been monitoring activity on the 1st issue of the 40-issue Comico run, and it does seem to have had a *small* spike, with a few outlier CGC 9.8’s selling at good premiums (I think I saw a signature 9.8 sell for somewhere around $500-$600, but I’m thinking that’s an odd-man out.)

I think that issue does count as the first appearance of Christine Spar, I don’t know that she appeared in anything earlier than that as a cameo of some kind… I actually snagged a gem mint copy of it for $6 the other day by fluke, as the average asking prices on eBay for raw copies is $30-$50 right now. My copy of that issue was a little worn, so I felt like hunting for a better one before it potentially rockets up too much.

This also leads me to wonder if any other characters who become Grendel will see a spike in speculation on their first appearances… Brian Lee Sung in Grendel #13, Eppy Thatcher & Orion Assante in Grendel #24, Grendel Prime in Grendel: War Child #1…

I guess it really depends on how good/popular the show is - I can’t imagine that Matt Wagner would want to do a show only about Hunter Rose, but I suppose if it doesn’t catch enough interest to perpetuate a series he may be the only incarnation we see…
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

What do you guys think about the rising value of She-Hulk #1?

I have been eyeballing it on eBay lately and it’s kind of crazy to me. I have always wanted to get one since long before it spiked over the past year or so, but never got around to it. I understand the speculation over a potentially major first appearance and also considering the tv series coming up… but I’m not super keen on paying *hundreds* of dollars for what may be a pretty cheesy old comic. Never wanted it *that* bad. I’ve seen it selling for $500+!!

Having said that, my LCS recently had a raw copy considered to be a 7.0 grade that I couldn’t pass up for $180… :lol:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

^that was $180 *Canadian*, by the way…

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

grendeljd wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:00:47 am ^that was $180 *Canadian*, by the way…
Converting from Canadian to US… is that the one where we multiply by 9/5 and add 32 or the one where we divide by 2.54?

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Chiclo wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:26:14 am
grendeljd wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:00:47 am ^that was $180 *Canadian*, by the way…
Converting from Canadian to US… is that the one where we multiply by 9/5 and add 32 or the one where we divide by 2.54?
Neither - it’s the 3rd option! :P

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

grendeljd wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:27:43 pm
The “Dog River” protocol?

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Chiclo wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:37:50 am
grendeljd wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:27:43 pm
The “Dog River” protocol?
:lol:

If that is a Corner Gas reference, I’m afraid I’m a bit oblivious - I have barely ever watched that show!

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

About 8 years ago, Mile High Comics sent me another person's order which included a Savage She Hulk 1. I contacted MHC and they were like, "Eh, just keep it. We'll send another order to the person."
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Wow!
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

ASM 50 seems to be heating up. Glad I snagged a nice copy a few years before the Netflix Daredevil shot it up in value. Kingpin entering the MCU has boosted it even more.

No way I would have ever been able to afford the current prices for this issue I had always wanted. Mine isn't CGC, but is probably a 5.0 or 6.0 grade. It's nice.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:34:14 pm ASM 50 seems to be heating up. Glad I snagged a nice copy a few years before the Netflix Daredevil shot it up in value. Kingpin entering the MCU has boosted it even more.

No way I would have ever been able to afford the current prices for this issue I had always wanted. Mine isn't CGC, but is probably a 5.0 or 6.0 grade. It's nice.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Glad to hear you got that issue, and good timing on your part too. I picked up a few of the later key ASM’s (that I never had but always wanted) about 4 years or so ago and am glad that I did - stuff like 194, 238 & 252 - they are all taking off lately. I think #50 has entered the “out of reach” category for me.

I’m mad that I didn’t snag a copy of #210 before speculation started setting in on that one though. I have an odd general collecting habit wherein I like to fill in any larger gaps in any of my collection runs by picking up issue numbers that end in 5’s or 10’s first if the option is there. It’s silly, but I just like having 5/10/15/20/25/30/35/40/etc in my sets.

I was specifically focusing on filling big gaps in my ASM collection between 200-260 for a stretch of time a few years back, and had nearly all those numbers **except** 210 & 215 before I got off on a different collecting tangent. I can’t say I’m enthusiastic about buying a copy of 210 right now.