Comic collecting hobby tips/tricks/questions thread

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Jersen
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Comic collecting hobby tips/tricks/questions thread

Post by Jersen »

I thought it might be handy to have a thread devoted to questions and answers related to the overall hobby of comic collecting. That can be a pretty broad topic, I know, but I know that I certainly have questions about the whats, hows, and whys related to storage and other techniques. I have a couple of questions to kick this off that can hopefully clarify what I mean a little more:

Backing boards have a slick, shiny side and a side that is more matte (not really rough, but not slick and shiny). Which side is the proper side to place against the back of your comic?

Who double-books their bags & boards? By this I mean placing a books back-to-back, separated by a board, in a single bag. I have done this since I was a kid, mainly because I didn't have alot of money to spend on bags and boards and wanted to stretch my supplies as far as they could go. Does this have a major detrimental effect on books?

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham
Re: Comic collecting hobby tips/tricks/questions thread

Post by 400yrs »

Jersen wrote: Backing boards have a slick, shiny side and a side that is more matte (not really rough, but not slick and shiny). Which side is the proper side to place against the back of your comic?
The shiny side is the buffered side. Supposedly, that's where you are supposed to put the books.
Jersen wrote:Who double-books their bags & boards? By this I mean placing a books back-to-back, separated by a board, in a single bag. I have done this since I was a kid, mainly because I didn't have alot of money to spend on bags and boards and wanted to stretch my supplies as far as they could go. Does this have a major detrimental effect on books?
I did it. It's probably not good.

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

I was always told by different dealers that double bagging comics put stress on the spines and was not recommended so I have always avoided doing it.

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

I switched to using silver age size bags for all comics a few years ago. It's roomier and minimize the chance of dents from neighboring books.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

same here i use silver B&B for all

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

I don't double bag, I use silver age bags and boards and I use Mylites 2 or 4s when I can grab them, for my "better" books. I like the Silver stuff because it tends to keep books from getting "pinched" by the smaller modern bags.

tmcneil82
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by tmcneil82 »

I always use the "age" appropriate bags and boards. I hate the look of a modern book in a silver bag and board, and am really not prepared to shove a silver book into a modern b and b. Also, if its a larger modern book, i will use a silver b and b, so its not crammed in.

Oh, and I don't double mine up either.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

double bagging bad its better to pass altogether then double b and board
on cheep stuff i just bag it

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

A nice stack of comics makes a pretty good drinks table and soaks up all of the drips.

iggy101us

Post by iggy101us »

ian_house wrote:A nice stack of comics makes a pretty good drinks table and soaks up all of the drips.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

iggy101us wrote:
ian_house wrote:A nice stack of comics makes a pretty good drinks table and soaks up all of the drips.
It looks like there are some rare Hobo-colored-variants in that stack.

sanman
I can feel the custom bug

Post by sanman »

I never double bag, but in some cases, I double board—I bag the comic with a SA bag and board and then insert an additional MA board at the centerfold to make the book more rigid. For my more valuable and HTF books, I like the extra protection.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

I've double-bagged when necessary. I think two comics in a bag separated by a board, is much better than the comic with no protection. But it's only temporary until I can get some more bags and boards.

I also use silver age bags and boards for modern comics. Modern size bags and boards seem a little too narrow - especially the boards. I've seen spines rolled around the edge of a narrow modern board. Especially when a modern board is used with a silver bag. That's a dangerous combination.

I also bag and board mine upset down, with the flap on the bottom. This keeps the thicker part of the bag/comic/board package on the bottom so you can flip through books tightly packed in a box without bending them at the top. And, in a loosely packed box, it keeps them from slumping down and bending the spine. And, it just has a lot neater look to it.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

sanman wrote:and then insert an additional MA board at the centerfold to make the book more rigid.
Hmm... I never thought about doing this for my better books. Not a bad idea if you store those in bags. I've been keeping my better stuff (I mean the top of the line stuff that's really worth it) in Mil cases with micro chamber paper every few pages or so though.

Those Mil cases are amazing, but they are expensive, man.

sanman

Post by sanman »

IMJ wrote:
sanman wrote:and then insert an additional MA board at the centerfold to make the book more rigid.
Hmm... I never thought about doing this for my better books. Not a bad idea if you store those in bags. I've been keeping my better stuff (I mean the top of the line stuff that's really worth it) in Mil cases with micro chamber paper every few pages or so though.

Those Mil cases are amazing, but they are expensive, man.
My most valuable comic (as graded) isn’t worth more than a $200 and I have less than ten worth more than $100. These I should probably store better—maybe in the Mil case.

The majority of my more valuable or HTF books fall in the $50 range, and I’ve found the extra board more than adequate.

In relation, I’m going to start rebagging my collection and just about all of my SA, BA and better MA books will be bagged in Mylites—all with the extra board.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

What is a Mil case? Never heard of it before.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

The extra board idea is a great idea, IMO. I have noticed the thickness of comic book backer boards becoming thinner and thinner (and shorter) over the years. At times I wonder if my LCS is hiring someone to make the backer boards that he sells. I have found a brand of backer boards at the video rental store Hastings that if chosen with scrutiny are thicker than average but still like nothing I was using to bag/board my Valiant collection years ago. So, two boards seems to be very sound advise.

IMJ, I have to admit I do not know what an MA board is...

One quirk that I have for bagging my books is that I no longer use 'tape' to close the bags. I use 'removable circular stickers' to close the bags. There is no fear in damaging my books with tape and does not stress the bag when I open/reopen the bags for either reading or research. An example is noted here:

The removable stickers work well on both regular bags and mylite bags.

sanman

Post by sanman »

Knightt wrote: IMJ, I have to admit I do not know what an MA board is...
MA=Modern Age, like SA for Silver Age or BA for Bronze Age.

I like your removable sticker idea, by the way. :thumb:

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Thanks... the idea is very handy for me. I am contemplating on using a larger removable sticker as well.

I had an idea that the 'MA' might mean that but didn't want to put my wanker out there on the table just to have it laughed at.

:lol:

Thanks for that clarification.

sanman

Post by sanman »

Knightt wrote:Thanks... the idea is very handy for me. I am contemplating on using a larger removable sticker as well.
I was wondering it there was enough sticker coverage to keep the bag sealed...
Knightt wrote:Thanks... the idea is very handy for me. I am contemplating on using a larger removable sticker as well.

I had an idea that the 'MA' might mean that but didn't want to put my wanker out there on the table just to have it laughed at.

:lol:

Thanks for that clarification.
LOL, no problem.

You know your previous post is going to show up—often—in the other members’ posts thread right? :lol:

iggy101us

Post by iggy101us »

sanman wrote:You know your previous post is going to show up—often—in the other members’ posts thread right? :lol:
:thumb:

Jersen

Post by Jersen »

I don't tape my bags closed, simply for the fact that I never know what I'm gonna break out to read and I don't want to stretch/ruin the bags by peeling the tape off. Instead, when I put my bagged books in the box, I simply fold the flap down over the top. It doesn't take long for the flap to retain that shape so that it will stay folded over.

I may start working my way toward rebagging/single bagging my books but to be honest, I'm not too terribly concerned about it. Yes, I want to keep my comics in good shape, but I'm really only concerned about my personal enjoyment of the books.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

im just too lazy to B&B a lot of my stuff i dont want to sit down and do that for 10k books :!: :!:

Jersen

Post by Jersen »

superman-prime wrote:im just too lazy to B&B a lot of my stuff i dont want to sit down and do that for 10k books :!: :!:
It's funny you say that, because bagging and boarding and sorting my books is one of my favorite parts of getting new comics!

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

thats what happens when i started buying collections last year too much to do